Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 5400 upgrade worth it?

Performa 5400 upgrade worth it?
dvot
Oct 7, 2000, 02:33 PM

I need to find out what my options are in upgrading a Performa 5400/180 603ev.

Anybody know where I should look for more info, and whether or not I'm waisting my time?

Thanks
Doug

The Wolfe
Oct 7, 2000, 03:30 PM

Sonnet makes a line of G3 processor upgrades for you machine that are reasonably priced I think. The card actually fits in the slot origionally intended to be a level 2 cache slot, and would delever at least 10 fold preformance increase for a 180MHz 603e machine.

Whether or not you should do this is up to you. If the machine has worked well for you and you want to keep it for another year or so, then it's probably well worth it. Personally, I have a C500 UMAX that I'm going to upgrade with a Sonnet L2 G3 card. It's been a good machine and I plan on using it for (full) classic compatability for the next year or so.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

dvot  (op)
Oct 7, 2000, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Tim Michael (finboy)
Oct 7, 2000, 05:27 PM

Depends, probably, on the condition of the monitor and how much RAM you have. If the monitor is fading, then you'll end up spending some $ to get that fixed (they're pretty solid, though). If you've already added a bunch of RAM, the upgrade may be cheaper than buying a new machine.

Probably, though, given that the upgrade will cost some serious bucks, you'll be better off buying a native G3 or G4, or a later machine and upgrading that. YOu can get an all-in-one G3 from MacResq for about $800 (or maybe less) and then you still have a floppy and SCSI and you can add a USB or Firewire card when the time comes. Or you can get a refurb iMac for less than $500, but then you'll need adapters and external floppies and stuff for your legacy equipment. Consider all that stuff in the process, and you might end up on the good side if you upgrade. Sonnet makes a good product, and they'll work with you if you have trouble.

Good luck. Old machines ROCK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules