Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Late 2006 MacBook audio jack problem

Late 2006 MacBook audio jack problem
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2011, 02:11 AM

The problem here is that OS X thinks that an optical audio cable is plugged into my headphone jack. No, the red light isn't on, mostly because I mauled the jack nearly to oblivion trying to get a stuck 3.5mm plug out of the jack. This is a computer I bought used; I was hoping that getting the broken plug out of the jack would be enough for OS X to realize that no, there are no headphones plugged in to the computer. Unfortunately, now it thinks that obnoxious little switch inside the jack is flipped, and I cannot get it to output audio to the internal speakers for the life of me.

I know the speakers work - I get a normal boot chime. I tried some stuff I found online with Audio Hijack Pro, as well as trying some hacked drivers for the Realtek audio chipset that's in these machines. So far, my efforts have been futile.

I'm not averse to modding the jack itself in some way so that OS X quits this whole optical audio nonsense, so my question is this - does anyone know what kind of pinout the jack has? Can I short or otherwise work with the pins directly to make the thing stop thinking it sees an optical audio connection?

If I remove the jack entirely from the logic board, will that fix the problem?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2011, 06:27 AM

No idea about removing it but I never had much luck with this issue and I saw more than a few. Usually the red light was on though. Seems crazy to me that the jack is so tightly sealed. Its impossible to remove broken connectors cleanly and easily.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2011, 12:11 AM

I gave up on a software solution. Had this been Linux or Windows, I probably could have just disabled that audio output; it's kind of annoying that I can't do that in OS X.

Anyhow, we ended up opening up the case and using a little bit of solder to jumper the optical audio switch into the off position. The headphone jack was already unusable, so this should be a permanent (or near-permanent, at the very least) fix.

nebula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 06:49 AM

Hi, I just saw this thread and I'm really curious which pins you bridged to turn off optical audio. I'm about to foray down this path myself, except I'm trying to find the original jacks (or a compatible one).

I would have thought you would need to open (disconnect) a pin to turn off optical audio. But I just haven't gotten that far yet.

At the moment I have no idea which connector pins are doing what. But I have found a number of optical/TRS jack manufacturers.

I'm blogging about this ... the initial post is at http://juggernautmusic.com/2012/10/macbook-audio/ (although there will be more posts about this topic in the future in the "nebula's glitchy blog" section). Please feel free to post comments there if you have anything to contribute to make my tedious parts sourcing easier.

Thanks!

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2012, 04:00 PM

HOLY NECRO BATMAN!

To the noob - I gave up and removed the jack entirely. I now have no headphone capability, but at least the speakers work, and I can use BT headphones if I need to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules