Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App Store Worry

App Store Worry
NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 6, 2011, 12:20 PM

I've decided to now just come back and ask you guys for Legal advice, but to also maybe chat mac again.

I've just installed the App Store and spotted that some of the apps I have installed (which may or may not have fallen off the back of a lorry) have been picked up as already being installed by the app store, should I be worried about how this data could be used?
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2011, 12:44 PM

No, it's no different than the iTunes Store knowing which apps you have installed in your iTunes.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 08:08 PM

I think what he means is that you didn't install your "Mac" apps via iTunes, so it means the computer actually scans your HD, while the iOS apps came from iTunes to begin with. I'm not too confortable with Apple scanning the content of my HD either...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No, it's no different than the iTunes Store knowing which apps you have installed in your iTunes.
Actually, it IS different.

Note how the OP said "may or may not have fallen off the lorry".
Not knowing what kind of information is transmitted is indeed worrisome for those using illegally obtained apps.

-t

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 08:58 PM

And knowing Jobs' willingness to "free us from p0rn", will the software automatically delete our stash as it scans our drive?

Seriously, if I ever learn this gimmick reports illegal software to anyone, I'm never touching a Mac again.. no big brother allowed on my machine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Actually, it IS different.

Note how the OP said "may or may not have fallen off the lorry".
Not knowing what kind of information is transmitted is indeed worrisome for those using illegally obtained apps.

-t
How come I can sideload apps then into iTunes and it'll show up as being owned on the iTunes Store App Store pages?

Apple can do this without even transferring information to themselves. All it takes it the App Store to do a quick search for anything ending in .app, which should already be indexed thanks to Spotlight, and then block out all entries in the App Store with a button that says INSTALLED if the version installed is the same as what the store has. If the store has a newer version, it can show up in downloads. No information transmitted to Apple. The frameworks are all there in OS X.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 7, 2011, 06:20 AM

Yer a couple of you guys are correct. I was referring to mac apps, i mean take iMovie as an example, that version of iLife may or may not have fallen off a lorry, but the app store now knows its installed and if the app store is handling all the updates for it, then its going to be transmitting that data.

(it actually looks like it hasn't picked up that fact that iWork is installed, maybe its missed that, maybe some with work can confirm)

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 7, 2011, 06:21 AM

And knowing Jobs' willingness to "free us from p0rn", will the software automatically delete our stash as it scans our drive?
actually about the only video i have on the HDD has gone.... hmmm

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How come I can sideload apps then into iTunes and it'll show up as being owned on the iTunes Store App Store pages?

Apple can do this without even transferring information to themselves. All it takes it the App Store to do a quick search for anything ending in .app, which should already be indexed thanks to Spotlight, and then block out all entries in the App Store with a button that says INSTALLED if the version installed is the same as what the store has. If the store has a newer version, it can show up in downloads. No information transmitted to Apple. The frameworks are all there in OS X.
No need even to use Spotlight. LaunchServices has full facility for looking up apps by name or bundle ID, and it's instantaneous.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I think what he means is that you didn't install your "Mac" apps via iTunes, so it means the computer actually scans your HD, while the iOS apps came from iTunes to begin with. I'm not too confortable with Apple scanning the content of my HD either...
Did you bother to read the license agreement and terms when you installed it or like most people just clicked accept right away. Im sure it probably covers it. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future the Store will be updated to provide back suggestions based on current software installed like iTunes guesses music you might like.

That said Apple is one of the very few companies I actually trust with my personal data.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by NobleMatt View Post
Yer a couple of you guys are correct. I was referring to mac apps, i mean take iMovie as an example, that version of iLife may or may not have fallen off a lorry, but the app store now knows its installed and if the app store is handling all the updates for it, then its going to be transmitting that data.

(it actually looks like it hasn't picked up that fact that iWork is installed, maybe its missed that, maybe some with work can confirm)
It sees iWork as installed if you have the current version.

NobleMatt  (op)
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jan 7, 2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It sees iWork as installed if you have the current version.
ha, mine must have been a dodgy install then, jackpot

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Did you bother to read the license agreement and terms when you installed it or like most people just clicked accept right away. Im sure it probably covers it. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future the Store will be updated to provide back suggestions based on current software installed like iTunes guesses music you might like.
The iOS App Store does that, I'm sure it'll come to the OS X App Store after it gets larger.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post

That said Apple is one of the very few companies I actually trust with my personal data.
I didn't upgrade yet, but I'm pretty sure you can't update your OS without installing the AppStore, so unless you want to be stuck forever in 10.6.5, you have to accept whatever they say in the license agreement...

Forum Links
Forum Rules