Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The 2nd Amendment: Armed Rebellion Is Possible

The 2nd Amendment: Armed Rebellion Is Possible (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2011, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Yeah. And I have to register to with the State Police just to exercise my constitutional right to vote.

Now Republicans want to make it harder for us to vote by requiring IDs and even a written test.

I say my gun is my ID to vote.
False analogy.

A required component of functioning elections is an impediment to voting multiple times.

Likewise, if you compare the 2nd Amendment to the rights granted by, say... other amendments, you'll find very few, if any, require registration with the government to exercise.

To be clear, I personally want whatever electoral system allows the most amount of eligible people to be able to vote. Whatever system that is, I don't think it's living up to the above stated goal unless it's extremely easy to jump through the hoops.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 17, 2011 at 02:08 PM. )

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

Declaration of Independence, Line 2:

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Isn't Libya getting a healthy dose of NATO intervention to help even the playing field?
Do you really think the US military has a chance against 200 million armed adult Americans in any kind of conflict. World wide personal Gun ownership is prob the highest in North America.

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Of course it's relevant. When militaries fought with swords then a civilian population armed with swords had some semblance of a chance. The same when militaries had muskets and the civilian population had muskets. The difference wasn't one of firepower but one of training. But today when a modern military has tanks and gunships and machine guns and missiles and rocket-propelled grenades ... there's a very distinct difference in firepower between that and a handgun or even a semi-automatic rifle.

This really should be as obvious as the sun rising in the east.

OAW
The modern military is far more fragile then any kind before it. In a major conflict with the people, the rockets will run out, the fuel will run out. fighting will be in close quarters like in the streets. And being out numbered 20+ to 1. At best the US military could secure a few major centers like Washington, and Boston. not enough man power to secure the entire country. The US military is setup for war against another military and taking out a countries infrastructure. Occupation is almost impossible if the population is well armed.

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post

You obviously haven't been paying attention to what Hillary Clinton and President Obama have been pushing under the radar; the approval and ratification of a U. N. Arms control treaty which would ban all private gun ownership in all U. N. member countries. I'm not saying that's going to happen overnight, as many in both houses are gun friendly, and most states now have some type of concealed carry, or even open carry, laws, and private gun ownership is at all time highs, but that doesn't mean they're going to give up,

If they come for my guns, they'll have to take them out of my cold, dead hands, and you can take that to the bank. The U. S. has somewhere around a couple of million armed forces, including law enforcement. I would suspect they'd have a hard time arresting 350 million people.
Thats is total BS, Clinton and Obama can both suck my %$#* if they try to pass that a BS resolution. Not a chance in hell would I give up my weapons. Forget about protection from people, I need my weapons when out in the Bush for protection from Wildlife.
( Last edited by Athens; Aug 8, 2011 at 03:30 PM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2011, 05:13 PM

I've got six firearms in the house, two loaded and in gun safes. To come for them would be a grave error in judgement. Advice to anyone who wants to give it a try: come heavy, wear Kevlar.

finboy
Aug 9, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Do you really think the US military has a chance against 200 million armed adult Americans in any kind of conflict. World wide personal Gun ownership is prob the highest in North America.
It won't come to anything like this if it gets to the point of armed insurrection. Folks in the military won't fire on civilians en masse any more than they would round up their relatives. The key is that it will have to me en masse - piecemeal rebellion will get some folks killed on both sides.

I think a group sing-in of "We shall overcome" on the Mall in Washington might be a good start. Wait, we already had that.

As for the second part: American personal gun ownership is a big part of what saved Europe from the Nazis, and these days it might be one of the few things keeping the UN from trying to use more overt tactics to enslave the world. As long as we can hold out as a bastion of personal freedom and responsibility, we serve as both an example and an inspiration (as aspiration) to others in every nation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules