Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Howto... mod a theme to have transparency in the menu bar?

Howto... mod a theme to have transparency in the menu bar?
TheGUiTom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 02:49 PM

Could anyone please explain how to add transparency to an existing theme with ThemePark?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

ArcticBear
Nov 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

Menubar transparency how-to:[list=1][*]Open ShapeShifter. Set your theme to the one you want to mod.[*]Make a new guikit in ThemePark (File > New guiKit Package).[*]Optional: if the theme uses it, hit the "Options" button to enable more menu customization.[*]Navigate to Elements > Global Elements > Menubar and Menus.[*]Drag the elements to the desktop and/or open in your image editing app.[*]For each element, add a new layer. It should be transparent. Drag that layer to be the bottom layer.[*]Select the original image layer (now on top). Adjust the transparency slider to the level you want.[*]Optional: save this as a layered file for later tweaking.[*]Merge down the layers (don't flatten - this kills transparency) and save. [*]Drop/import the modded resources back into ThemePark.[*]In ThemePark, go Theme > Merge With Installed Elements[*]File > Export > For ShapeShifter[/list=1]
The menubar elements layer three or four levels on top of the desktop, e.g.:[list=1][*]pxm#2030 (Apple in Apple menu)[*]pxm#130, #131[*]pxm#2028 (Menu Enhancer thingy)[*]pxm#2029[*]Desktop picture[/list=1]
So you can have multiple transparencies (see my "Halloween Theme" post here for a pictoral example. Edit: here's the link). And for menus:[list=1][*]pxm#128, #129, #131, #133 (Apple in Apple menu)[*]pxm#4340, #13184, #2061[*]Desktop picture[/list=1]
I think that's it. I might have messed up the part about merging with installed elements (so your mod contains all the resources, not just the ones you modified). Corrections welcome.
( Last edited by ArcticBear; Dec 3, 2004 at 10:38 AM. )

TheGUiTom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 11:15 AM

Thankyouveryveryverymuch!!!

TheGUiTom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2004, 05:59 PM

Help...

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2004, 06:18 PM

I do not believe that you can have 100% transparency as of yet... If that's your problem...

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

ArcticBear
Dec 1, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by TheGUiTom:
Help...
Hmmm... yes, I think Stuphalina is right. If you go beyond about 90% transparency, you can't click on things.

Note: I've not set up/made a wholly transparent menubar, but the instructions above seem to have more or less worked. It looks nice anyways.

Or is the problem something else?

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 09:14 PM

i have got 100 transparency and works just fine all..

http://home.comcast.net/~wingchuner/screenshot_03.jpg
( Last edited by wingchuner; Dec 2, 2004 at 12:35 PM. )
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

TheGUiTom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 2, 2004, 06:32 AM

I'm sorry - The Apple menu is not 'good' transparent.
Transparency level is 35%.

Makki
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by TheGUiTom:
I'm sorry - The Apple menu is not 'good' transparent.
Transparency level is 35%.
That is a current bug in Themepark and is fixed in 2.01 when it ships.

Makki

Acrimonium
Dec 2, 2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by wingchuner:
i have got 100 transparency and works just fine all..

home.comcast.net/~wingchuner/screenshot_03.jpg
...Mmmh, or white on withe

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2004, 04:43 AM

I think that's it. I might have messed up the part about merging with installed elements (so your mod contains all the resources, not just the ones you modified). Corrections welcome.
OK, so no matter how many times I try this, nothing happens, the right way anyway. What happens is that when I paste the image from photoshop, the image looks all speckled with white.
After trying to apple what I have done (even when it looks as described) the result is that everything has the white speckles. Therefore, I revert to the default.

Anything more I should do, I really want to do this!

R

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
OK, so no matter how many times I try this, nothing happens, the right way anyway. What happens is that when I paste the image from photoshop, the image looks all speckled with white.
Don't paste - Photoshop doesn't put transparency onto the Pasteboard. Use ThemePark's "Receive From Photoshop" button instead.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules