Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Create chord progression in Garage Band

Create chord progression in Garage Band
Ronald Rogers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 07:00 PM

I am look for a way to create a chord progression using loops in Garage Band. For example: if I want to have a C/// Am///F/// G7th/// progression - do I pull a loop for 4 beats in Cmaj then somehow change the key of the loop to Am for 4 more beats. If that is correct, I would I do that?

Ronald Rogers  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ronald Rogers
I am look for a way to create a chord progression using loops in Garage Band. For example: if I want to have a C/// Am///F/// G7th/// progression - do I pull a loop for 4 beats in Cmaj then somehow change the key of the loop to Am for 4 more beats. If that is correct, I would I do that?
Sorry, last few words in message should be " How do I do that"

Armas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 10:42 PM

I have no idea! You "could" pitch shift, but you'd need Maj, Min. 7 chord samples....

In GB, just open the keyboard & type the 3 or 4 notes from the keyboard ( You can use the qwerty too ) If you want, you could save them, as C /// Am /// F/// G7th/// or as a I///VI///IV/// V7/// in C...

Sounds like you want band in a box... I dunno if they even make it now... Sorry
BUY AAPL STOCK! It will be going WAYYY UP!

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005, 05:09 AM

You could also get a cheap USB midi keyboard. I'm using the Keystation 49e myself and it's really good for the price (though the keys are a bit slow).

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jacke
You could also get a cheap USB midi keyboard. I'm using the Keystation 49e myself and it's really good for the price (though the keys are a bit slow).
\

Going from this you could just play and record the chord progression you want. GB will save it as a loop and then you'll be able to just drag it to repeat it just like the loops that came with GB.

Thats what I do.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules