Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to Bluetooth?

How to Bluetooth?
wordup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 12:19 AM

I've got an ibook g4 10.3.9 but it only came with the following bluetooth software:
Bluetooth File Exchange
Bluetooth Firmware updater
Bluetooth Serial Utility
Bluetooth Set Up Assistant

When I try to open the set up assistant I get:
"No Bluetooth Hardware Found" In order to use this application, you must have a Bluetooth module. Please verify that your Bluetooth hardware is properly attached to the computer.

So I want to download the Bluetooth software for my ibook, where do I get it?

Thanks

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 02:23 PM

Look in your System Profiler to see if you actually have BT hardware. My iBook came with all that software even thought I didn't have BT installed. Your computer telling you that you obviously don't have BT installed, and if it is, there is something very wrong.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 03:25 PM

Since your iBook is running OS 10.3, the age of that operating system automatically determins that your iBook did not come with bluetooth installed as standard. If you did not purchase the bluetooth option when you bought your iBook, then the only way to use bluetooth would be to buy a USB dongle.

To sum up: You already have the bluetooth software installed on your iBook, but you DONT have the hardware, hence it will NOT work without a USB adaptor
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

wordup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 04:11 PM

Well, thanks for the info.
Obviously I don't have the BT hardware installed, just a bunch of software that can't operate.
So if I go for the USB option, what should I be looking for, or should I have the hardware installed instead?

Thanks again

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 04:18 PM

iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 04:49 PM

I don't think that any bluetooth dongle operates better than an other. I got one from IOgear at Walmart for $25. The only thing that I recommend to watch out for is the shape of the dongle. Mine is curvy (aka bulky) and has trouble fitting in with the other USB cables. It's obnoxious.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

wordup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 05:01 PM

Looks like I'll check out the The D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter because I'm also using a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router... unless there's a better USB wireless adapter I should look at.

Thanks for all your help

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 05:21 PM

Keep in mind that your wireless router and a bluetooth dongle aren't going to interact, so having two D-Link products won't result in any kind of performance improvment over another manufacturer.

Your wireless router is going to be 802.11 (a,b or g) which doesn't talk to bluetooth.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

wordup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2006, 09:35 PM

OK, so do I need to first get the the Internal Bluetooth module card installed, then get the D-Link adapter? Or does the USB take care of everything all by it's self.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 10:46 PM

a USB adapter will be fine. It's all you need.

wordup  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 12:17 AM

Thanks Ben,
I was having a hard time getting a clear idea of just exactly what I needed to give my ibook blue teeth I'm looking forward to using my Treo and it's wireless bluetooth earpiece, I want to see if it will work with my Skype set up.

Thanks everyone

mactopsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 10:52 AM

Funny how my mate's G4 ibook comes with bluetooth softwares but no bluetooth...
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Celestine Collins, Realising Doodles | MacTopsuit | http://www.celestinecollins.com/[/FONT]

Forum Links
Forum Rules