Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Basement?

Basement?
PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2006, 01:35 PM

I am moving in 2 weeks and will have my office in the basement. The basement is noticibley cooler than the rest of the house. Do I need to worry about humidity affecting the Mac? Should I run a dehumidifier and what else should I do? I noticed there is a built in dehumidifier in the room I am going to make my office.

Thanks

badnewsblair
Senior User
May 8, 2006, 02:54 PM

Congratulations on the move. Good luck with that.

There should be atmospheric settings at which the computer best operates either on the box or in the tech specs listed on Apple dot com. As long as the computer is within those operating specs, you are covered, though I doubt the basement environment will hurt your computer.

Be sure to wear a jacket!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2006, 05:55 PM

By cooler do you mean "not as warm" or "more like a refrigerator?" Basements aren't inherently damp, but they aren't always set up to avoid the problem either. If there is a real humidity problem, a dehumidifier won't hurt anything and it might help you and the rest of what's in your office. The specs for most Macs call for a noncondensing atmosphere with a relative humidity of 5-95%, so it would probably be a good idea to confirm what the actual conditions are before you get everything set up.

By the way, growing up in Southern Michigan, my bedroom was in the basement, and it wasn't an issue as far as humidity goes, though the lack of insulation made winter a bit frosty for me!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

irockdabari
Forum Regular
May 8, 2006, 06:19 PM

The time of year will also affect the humidty in your basement. I too, am a native Michigander, and I noticed that the humidity was greater in the summer than in the winter. We have a dehumidifier running all year, anyway, because not only do we have computers in the basement, but it is also better for your health, in terms of the cleanlyness of the air (more moisture give more opps for all kinds of molds and allgergens to form).
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

PHoynak  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2006, 10:34 PM

The basement is noticibly cooler than the upstairs but not like a refrigerator. The walls or carpet are not damp or moist. I will just run the dehumidifier if the humidiity is bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules