Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Mail CPU usage

Apple Mail CPU usage
phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2008, 01:59 AM

Hey guys,

anyone notice that Apple Mail uses a lot of CPU when running?? I have it open in a work space and a text editor in another workspace. I noticed my MBP(CD2.16) becoming rather hot. So i open up activity monitor and Mail's cpu usage is constantly hovering between 35-55%. Even when not really active. One account is an IMAP, others POP.

istat tells me that cpu temp is 70C.

Any thoughts? experiences?

Rob.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2008, 02:55 AM

Mail shouldn't be occupying anything more than a negligible amount of processor time when it's supposedly idle. I have four instances open in four different accounts right now, and each one is taking 0.2% processor time. Does it show any activity if you press the small triangle icon on the bottom left side of the mailboxes pane?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2008, 02:59 AM

Mine normally uses <1% CPU. However, if I leave it selected for a while on a message that has a Word/Excel/PPT attachment in it, it’ll jump to 50% or higher. (Sometimes it’ll completely take over all CPU cycles and I have for Force Quit.)

phoenix78  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2008, 09:15 AM

Hmm odd, the cpu usage has dropped right down now.

No mail activity shown. I also selected an email that has a word attachment and no unusual activity.

I reckon i'll put this down to just the instability i have been having with Apple Mail. Honestly, sometimes i have to force-quit it. It just wont close on a normal quit. Sometimes it stalls and recovers. I have about 2k+ emails now... but surely apple designed mail to handle this?

I like apple mail though, so ill continue to use it... but im a little irked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules