Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Internet services - how much download speed do you need?

Internet services - how much download speed do you need?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 12:37 AM

As Roadrunner is not able to repair my internet connection (they are losing the signal constantly, which is why I get interrupted streaming video) I'll switch to another company, very likely Verizon (with AT & T as a contender).

Now: how much speed do I need?

Most important for me is maintaining my photography website, upload changes, do online banking, etc.

Important is also streaming video, particularly from the New York Times website. (how much bandwidth does that eat... ah, need?)

I don't download video on demand and I don't play internet video games.

What's my speed need?

Thanks!

PS: I just found out, that for the same price you get lousy 5mb/sec that never work at Roadrunner, you get 10mb/sec FIOS optic fiber service from Verizon. I heard it's more reliable.

Cold Warrior
Dec 13, 2008, 12:40 AM

Do you host your photo website from your connection or just upload to it b/c it's hosted someplace else? If it's the latter, then you could get by comfortably with a 3 Mb connection. Streaming video doesn't eat up too much.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 12:48 AM

I have a hosting service, so my website is not on my computer, nor are the photos.

I forgot: of course I need my internet connection for the Apple software update.

A 1mb/sec connection would possibly not work out, would it? (I found out, that FIOS and 3mb/sec DSL is almost the same price, as you need to add a phone land line, and pay extra for that). Looks like there's no way around spending 50$/month for an internet connection (but at least it should be reliable).

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2008, 01:41 AM

I have Verizon wireless internet national access $60 a month. I use it where I work going up and down the Mississippi River on the barges. Download speeds when were near towns are 470.0 kbps http://tinyurl.com/6rjjlz

DSL/Cable/T1 it isn't but its good enough for me. I have a Verizon USB720 wireless modem of which I'm going to get some type of external antenna booster from http://tinyurl.com/6ab857 I'm glad I went with Verizon because I have get online in the middle of nowhere ( anywhere from St. Louis, MO to St. Paul, MN or St. Louis to Chicago) while not getting out on my ATT cell phone. I get out a lot ever when the Towboats ATT setup will not get out. IMHO!!!
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by MacTheRiverRat View Post
I have Verizon wireless internet national access $60 a month. I use it where I work going up and down the Mississippi River on the barges. Download speeds when were near towns are 470.0 kbps http://tinyurl.com/6rjjlz

DSL/Cable/T1 it isn't but its good enough for me. I have a Verizon USB720 wireless modem of which I'm going to get some type of external antenna booster from http://tinyurl.com/6ab857 I'm glad I went with Verizon because I have get online in the middle of nowhere ( anywhere from St. Louis, MO to St. Paul, MN or St. Louis to Chicago) while not getting out on my ATT cell phone. I get out a lot ever when the Towboats ATT setup will not get out. IMHO!!!
What would Mark Twain say...

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
What would Mark Twain say...
I bet he would use a Mac!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 13, 2008, 10:16 AM

I'm using AT&T's "Premium" DSL, with "up to 6Mbps download speeds." I consistently get over 5Mbps down with over 600kbps up on this connection. Note that DSL speeds also depend on infrastructure, but usually it's easier to correct serious problems to one subscriber because it's only a single pair that's involved.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Dec 13, 2008, 10:40 AM

You could also run iStat menus for a while to gauge whether you're maxing out your current line. It only monitors your computer though, so it's not helpful if you have other devices eating a lot of bandwidth.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm using AT&T's "Premium" DSL, with "up to 6Mbps download speeds." I consistently get over 5Mbps down with over 600kbps up on this connection. Note that DSL speeds also depend on infrastructure, but usually it's easier to correct serious problems to one subscriber because it's only a single pair that's involved.
I read DSL is generally less trouble prone than cable.

Your experience seems to support this.

Also, I think Verizon is a much better company than Time-Warner. (and they don't export all those support jobs to Asia, as Time-Warner does).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 04:27 AM

Keep in mind possible local bottlenecks. If for example you are on a 802.11g wifi you won't see any improvement beyond 6Mbps.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 08:46 PM

Good to know.

My current bottleneck is Roadrunner.

It's so bad, that I can't even do the security update any more, as the connection breaks down every minute, then gets up again.

I can only warn you from this ridiculous company called Time-Warner.

Cold Warrior
Dec 15, 2008, 08:53 PM

Good to know.

My current bottleneck is Roadrunner.

It's so bad, that I can't even do the security update any more, as the connection breaks down every minute, then gets up again.

I can only warn you from this ridiculous company called Time-Warner.
Do you use BitTorrent?

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2008, 04:02 PM

Quick note- Seems Verizon updated their Access manager and now the WWAN status menu bar icon in AWOL. I brought over the Version menu item from System->Library->Core Services->Menu Extras from old ibook 10.4.11 via bluetook and replaced it in aluminum Macbook 10.5.6 System->Library->Core Services->Menu Extras

Still no dice. Emailed Verizon which ws as good as walking out my front door and screaming at the top of my lungs @ Verizon.

http://tinyurl.com/3qqa6o

Cold Warrior
Dec 17, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MacTheRiverRat View Post
Quick note- Seems Verizon updated their Access manager and now the WWAN status menu bar icon in AWOL. I brought over the Version menu item from System->Library->Core Services->Menu Extras from old ibook 10.4.11 via bluetook and replaced it in aluminum Macbook 10.5.6 System->Library->Core Services->Menu Extras

Still no dice. Emailed Verizon which ws as good as walking out my front door and screaming at the top of my lungs @ Verizon.

http://tinyurl.com/3qqa6o
You should consider getting an EVDO expresscard and using it with a Kyocera router to rebroadcast as wifi. This may solve your connectivity issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-KR2-Mo...9551683&sr=1-1

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Do you use BitTorrent?
No, I don't.

What exactly does it do?

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 11:41 PM

You could also run iStat menus for a while to gauge whether you're maxing out your current line.
^---- What he said – that’s the only way you’ll know for sure what kind of bandwidth you need. If you want something a little more subtle in design, I recommend MenuMeters.

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2008, 01:24 AM

You should consider getting an EVDO expresscard and using it with a Kyocera router to rebroadcast as wifi. This may solve your connectivity issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-KR2-Mo...9551683&sr=1-1
I get on the Verizon wireless just fine. Its just doen't show up in the menu bar anymore after Verizon updated their software.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sage View Post
^---- What he said – that’s the only way you’ll know for sure what kind of bandwidth you need. If you want something a little more subtle in design, I recommend MenuMeters.
Thanks for this, Cold Warrior and Sage.

Cold Warrior
Dec 21, 2008, 12:09 AM

No, I don't.

What exactly does it do?
It's just a file sharing technology. I only ask because you mentioned frequent network drops. BitTorrent combined with certain routers will choke the routers and will appear as a network drop. But you answered that you don't use BT.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 05:54 PM

It's just a file sharing technology. I only ask because you mentioned frequent network drops. BitTorrent combined with certain routers will choke the routers and will appear as a network drop. But you answered that you don't use BT.
The modem was the reason of the constantly lost signal.

A repair tech found lots of error messages and replaced the no-name modem roadrunner supplied me with at first with a motorola.

Modem-wise it works now, so it's just the normal breakdowns of the Time-Warner network and its usual slowdown in the evenings.

The only cure here is to switch to a more reliable provider, which I'll do as soon as I have time (what I will do before that is to downgrade to 3Mb/sec, as I'm currently paying for 5mb/sec, and probably getting about 2 - a 160mb file takes 3 minutes to download from Apple's software update).

Forum Links
Forum Rules