Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Imovie/widescreen

Imovie/widescreen
patriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 03:12 PM

Hey everyone, very new to video editing. have a question....my camcorder has 2 film settings, 16x9 and 4x3. I shot my movie in 16x9, imported it to imovie,selected DV widescreen when asked,upon opening Imovie. Created my movie and imported (Shared) it to Idvd. When previewing on both apps it shows the movie as 16x9 full image, with black bars on top and bottom. i burn the disc with Idvd, play it on my mac and its a lovely 16x9 movie, again, with black bars on top and bottom. However, when i bring it to ANY dvd player on ANY tv its a 4x3 image and the movie looks a bit elongated, or stretched, I have checked every preference on my dvd players and players of 6 friends, they are all set to output video in 16x9 format, however the movie is always displayed in a 4x3 format instead. am I doing something wrong when importing the Imovie to Idvd? or during the burn process? again all the dvd players are set to output at 16x9, all other dvd movies are displayed properly with bars on top and bottom. any help would be greatly appreciated.By the way it a NTSC as i live here in the states. and of course my monitor and tv are 4:3

regards

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 07:26 AM

The TV itself might need to be "zoomed" to display your movie properly.

By the way, this belongs in the "Applications" forum.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 08:29 AM

iDVD supports proper 16:9, so yes, you seem to be doing something wrong. Perhaps you're still using iDVD 4?

patriot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Busemann
iDVD supports proper 16:9, so yes, you seem to be doing something wrong. Perhaps you're still using iDVD 4?
using Idvd 5, and the zoom is not applied on my TV, and I thought i was in the right forum, my apologies.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules