Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger: Most Underrated/Overrated features?

Tiger: Most Underrated/Overrated features? (Page 3)
JLL
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 09:25 AM

( Last edited by JLL; May 3, 2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Double post)
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by tuqqer
No kidding. I'd really love to hear the logic behind changing screenshots to PNG.

Is PNG readable by more computers? If I send a screenshot in PNG to a Windows user, will I first need to convert it to something else, or is PNG some new uber file format?
Windows user can open PNG files.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

DylanG
May 3, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tuqqer
Is PNG readable by more computers? If I send a screenshot in PNG to a Windows user, will I first need to convert it to something else, or is PNG some new uber file format?
Essentially, yes. PNG is an open standard not owned by any company or encumbered by patents. In recent years, we've seen companies come out of the woodwork claiming old patents on GIF and JPG and suddenly wanting the entire world to pay them royalties. PNG won't have that problem (we hope).

I'd expect any modern image viewer or browser to support PNG.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by DylanG
Command-Ctrl-D is very cool and something I didn't know about before this thread. But this brings up my biggest complaint as a recent switcher - there are too many functions that rely on arcane keystroke combinations that either I don't know or I can't remember. (I realize that the dictionary lookup is duplicated via a context menu but the general complaint holds.)
So you'd prefer it if they didn't include this functionality at all ? Or prefer it if they cluttered up the interface with buttons and menu options to do all this (the Microsoft approach) ?

The cool thing about keyboard controls is that if you don't know about them it doesn't get in the way, and if you do know about them you only really need to remember the ones you actually use.

...and in this specific instance, your complaint is moot because the 'Look up in Dictionary' option is available if you right-click (or ctrl-click) on the word.

Key combinations on the Mac are much easier to remember than on windows. I've used windows for a decade or more, and I still can never remember how to type an accented character. like � or � or �.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 01:05 PM

Command-Ctrl-D is very cool and something I didn't know about before this thread. But this brings up my biggest complaint as a recent switcher - there are too many functions that rely on arcane keystroke combinations that either I don't know or I can't remember. (I realize that the dictionary lookup is duplicated via a context menu but the general complaint holds.)

Longtime Mac users seem to have a special part of their brain that remembers these.
Indeed it can be quite a challenge to remember some of the more complicated keystrokes. The good news is that these are just defaults. You can go to the Keyboard & Mouse system preference and change them on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab to whatever you want! For instance, I think the keyboard shortcut to take a screenshot of the entire screen or a selected area of the screen is rather complicated. So I changed them to just be F7 and F8. I also don't like the Command-Ctrl-D keystroke for a dictionary lookup because it is difficult to do with just my left hand. I'm considering changing it to something else as well if it gets on my nerves enough. Hope this helps!

OAW

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 01:39 PM

Most overrated: Dashboard - it is useful but overrated
Most underrated: Under-the-hood changes in the OS - we don't see them but they are significant

“Building Better Worlds”

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno
Wait, is it ctrl-opt-D or ctrl-cmd-D? I know cmd-opt-D is to show/hide the Dock, but I'm not at my Mac right now to see which it is.

The Yellow Pages widget is very useful, but I wish I could have it show me a Google map instead of Mapquest.
you can see the source for the widgets... you might be able to hack it
12" Aluminum Powerbook
1.5Ghz G4 | 512Mb Ram | GeForce FX Go5200

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 02:08 PM

This is a post on how to chang the YP widget to show Google Maps

Originally Posted by WJMoore
Nice! Can I do this to the map link in the Address book app? Anyone know how?
12" Aluminum Powerbook

poulh
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy
I am still blown away by the RSS screensaver. Does anyone know if it is possible to get an RSS feed that just does sports scores- like a ticker or something?

That would be cool... this might hold you over

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/rss/index
12" Aluminum Powerbook

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 05:04 PM

actually the cmd-option D to hide the dock and cmd-option-ctrl-8 to change the screen was available in Panther. Cmd-option-ctrl activiate Display menu. I think ti was number 3 that turns this forum into plain text.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 05:05 PM

Can anyone tell me more about the DVD Player when you get around to it?

It seems people are talking about Dashboard and Spotlight too much.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
Cmd-option-ctrl 3 that turns this forum into plain text.
COOL! Allows all you to view all posts on one page
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

sworthy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 05:47 PM

there's also cmd-cntrl-option 8, but that has been around for a while.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 11:28 PM

I like the fact that there are a lot of "under the hood changes" that make me feel smarter for using a mac. But, can someone give me a concrete example of an under the hood change and how it makes my life better?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 01:07 AM

I like the fact that there are a lot of "under the hood changes" that make me feel smarter for using a mac. But, can someone give me a concrete example of an under the hood change and how it makes my life better?
Here's my favorite: kernel hooks.

Type
% touch ~/Desktop/foo.bar
Boom. Icon appears on desktop.

Type
% mv ~/Desktop/foo.bar ~/.Trash
Boom. Icon disappears from desktop and trash icon shows the trash isn't empty anymore.

Type
% rm ~/.Trash/foo.bar
Boom. Trash icon back to normal.

Or, the MD search engine.
In Finder, do a cmd-f to get the smart folder search view. As a query, type some random blurb. The search result window is empty. Open a TextEdit window and save the emtpy new window under foo.txt. The search window is still empty. Now, in the foo.txt window, type the random sequence you are searching for. Save it. Boom. Search now lists foo.txt.

Love it.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 05:14 AM

Not sure about anyone else, but I love the new version of Keychain Access.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by joltguy
Not sure about anyone else, but I love the new version of Keychain Access.
I'll second that.

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 10:54 PM

OK, time to revive the 'ole most under/overrated discussion. But, first let me comment on Spotlight. For me, personally, Spotlight has absolutely lived up to its hype. I have tons of PDF files- mostly downloaded journal articles. While I ocassionally go to town and organize my files into neat folders and subfolders, by and large, I have a mess on my computer, and can't remember where I saved what and why. I also have tons of emails that I have kept on the hard drive for various reasons. Spotlight is immensely helpful for someone like me.

But, back to the discussion at hand, my easy favorite for underrated has been the RSS screen saver. However- one major flaw: at first the headline is readable on my screen, but shortly as it starts to whirl around, the right edge of the headline becomes truncated because most of it is "off" the right side of the screen. Is this meant to be? So far, I have not found a way to change this as an option. Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2005, 10:02 PM

I just discovered this feature by accident. I have no idea if this was available before Tiger- but it's pretty nice. If you haven't tried it yet, open up a few apps, and hit command and tab. Let go of tab and hit it again. Nice.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:13 AM

I just discovered this feature by accident. I have no idea if this was available before Tiger- but it's pretty nice. If you haven't tried it yet, open up a few apps, and hit command and tab. Let go of tab and hit it again. Nice.
Lalala...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

surferboy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 07:15 AM

Not sure I get it?

Scott-G
Jun 6, 2005, 11:06 AM

Way overated: Dashboard. I mean, what is the point of this app? What can it do that a bookmark in Safari can't?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 12:21 PM

This has been around since something like Mac OS 8. The thing that pops up on the screen I think came with 10.2 and the new QE. If you let go of tab and hit ` (above tab) instead, you will go in the opposite direction. You can do the same thing from within exposé.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 12:27 PM

Longtime Mac users seem to have a special part of their brain that remembers these...
There are very few features that are limited to keystrokes. However, these have been around so long of course we have memorized them by now. It's like memorizing the name Safari as Apple's web browser.

command-option-escape is force quit
shift-command-3 is a screenshot
shift-command-4 is a screen selection
then there's all kinds of modifier-key clicking and/or dragging. If you hold down the option key while dragging, it copies. If you hold down the command key while dragging (in the Finder), it moves the file.

There's all kinds of other stuff that you could memorize, but there is almost always a way to do things without memorizing a key combo. The command-option-+ or - is in universal access. You only memorize it if it's useful to you.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scott-G
Way overated: Dashboard. I mean, what is the point of this app? What can it do that a bookmark in Safari can't?
People used to ask the same thing about RSS. What can RSS do that just opening up all your favourite sites and refreshing them once an hour can't do? Nothing, but RSS is much easier. And for some things, so is Dashboard.

Dashboard is a data aggregator. It instantly puts updated information from as many sources as you want at your fingertips, without having to open up a dozen browser windows or stand-alone applications. Honestly, there's no easier or quicker way for me to check the weather, look at the calender, see what the time and weather is in Japan (where I'm moving shortly), and track my UPS package.

Forum Links
Forum Rules