Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My beautiful iBook is not so beautiful anymore

My beautiful iBook is not so beautiful anymore
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 05:48 PM

OK, so ive had my iBook about 2 weeks, and I've been using it at school for about a week. Now im sure nearly all iBook owners will know, that white plastic material the outer case is made out of is VERY prone to scratches, as soon as you take it out of its box, it is basically scratched. So after using my iBook for 1 week at school, there are 5 or 6 rather unsightly long scratches on it, and I know its a longshot, but is there any sort of cleaning stuff that will help to buff out the scratches?

Any help greatly appreciated
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 07:16 PM

You can try Brasso. Take a can of the stuff, apply a nice, thick layer, set to dry for 30 mins, then buff off. It should take care of some of the less serious scratches on it. Just make sure not to spray it anywhere it could be damaging. (Ports, Screen, in between keys, etc)
Linkinus is king.

shrugs*
Oct 19, 2005, 05:08 PM

For the 3 days that I owned an iBook, I found car wax worked alright for the lesser scratches.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2005, 12:09 AM

Buy used top and bottom covers from ebay and save your new ones for when you ready to sell your iBook to keep the value. Easy to install. Anybody can do it with a few tools.
As a matter of fact I got one more 12" iBook G4 top & bottom covers left in good condition for $25 if any of you guys are interested.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2005, 03:16 PM

the scratches are inevitable on the shell of the ibook.

one problem I had was the smudges on the screen, and my fix is just to use those little eyeglass whipes you can buy at any optomotrist/eyeglass store.

and the second, the dirty/oily hand/palm prints on the wrist rests next to the trackpad. The best thing I found so far to clean those is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, u can get it in the cleaning supply aisle of most stores.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 03:50 PM

Mine looks rather scratched... but I feel there isn't all that much I can do... I could have zero scratches and never move it... or use it like a portable and accept that it isn't always going to be such a looker

volcano
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 05:29 PM

You've only had it for about 2 weeks and it's that noticeable already? The iBooks outer casing is much less prone to scratching, when compared to an iPod. Are you using a case to carry it around in when you take it to school? I'm hoping that you don't just toss it in your backpack without any protection. I've had my iBook since early August and I take it out with me nearly everyday and I have no noticeable scratches to speak of whatsoever. I bought a Tucano Second Skin the same day I bought the iBook.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
You've only had it for about 2 weeks and it's that noticeable already? The iBooks outer casing is much less prone to scratching, when compared to an iPod. Are you using a case to carry it around in when you take it to school? I'm hoping that you don't just toss it in your backpack without any protection. I've had my iBook since early August and I take it out with me nearly everyday and I have no noticeable scratches to speak of whatsoever. I bought a Tucano Second Skin the same day I bought the iBook.
I am using a case where ever I take it, and I am very careful with it. Its not like there are lots of deep or large scratches on it, its just those thin little buggers all over it, like almost a coating of them over the lid f the ibook, and they are in a swirly sort of pattern mostly
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules