Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G3/400MHz Mac OS 9.2.2 - Sound Issues

iMac G3/400MHz Mac OS 9.2.2 - Sound Issues
NormPhillips
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2007, 12:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I realize there is another thread reporting a no sound iMac issue, but there haven't been any replies and my problem may be slightly different...

First, here is the setup of the iMac:

iMac G3/400MHz DV SE circa (October 1999-July 2000/Rev. D)
Modifications: Blueberry enclosure, 24x CD-ROM, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD
(in essence, hybrid computer-but with DV SE's logic board, etc.)
Mac OS 9.2.2 installed

Second, the problem:

After getting the computer for free from a colleague at work- I quickly worked on it to install the latest and greatest in CLASSIC software... :-p Updated the OS to 9.2.2, ran software update over and over again, etc.

When finishing all of this up, I noticed no sound when clicking on the Launcher control panel buttons (Yes, I was one of those few weirdos who loved the Launcher back in Classic Mac OS days...)

I checked it out via the Sound control panel, found that sound worked in the two front earphone/headphone jacks. However, sound does not work via the speakers, nor does it work via the sound jack on the side of the computer.

I believe it's either:

A) The logic board - which is an annoyance because I'd like to possibly not to connect external speakers to make the sound work.

B) Some cord that is responsible for connecting the speakers and the side sound jack being slightly disconnected - Which would be awesome - Just would be a hassle to open up this CRT iMac for anything but RAM.

C) The cord is busted - if it's a standard part it could be replaced easily and economically, if it's proprietary it's about as annoying if it were the logic board

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated...

NormPhillips  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2007, 05:57 PM

It turns out when I plug in a set of headphones or earphones about halfway into the left headphone jack on the computer, the speakers will work. How can I fix it where they will work all the time?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 02:49 PM

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Probably that connector is faulty. Get a mini jack plug (cut one off an old set of headphones or something) and leave it in there?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Dec 31, 2007, 09:24 AM

I actually had that issue on my slotloader back in the day. The headphone ports all have rather basic metal tabs that detect when there is something in the port, and those metal tabs can get bent into sending the signal that there is something in the port when there really isn't.

Since that model has no less than three headphone ports, I didn't mind losing one. What I did was use a pair of tweezers from a Swiss army knife to grab hold of the metal tab (they just about barely fit into the port) and pull it "inwards" (to the left, I think it was) to break the connection. This messed up the port as the tab was now in the center of the hole, but as I said - no biggie to lose one. I put a tape over that port to remind myself not to use it and that's the last I saw of that problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules