Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac OS X as a Windows Server?

Mac OS X as a Windows Server?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 03:04 AM

My wife and I both work at home and have all Windows based machines but now are switching to Mac. She's going to add a imac on her desk to compliment her Windows laptop. I'm replacing my laptop with a Macbook Pro. This will leave two desktops that are Windows based as well as a 3rd 'main' desktop. This 3rd desktop is more or less the server with 500 gigs of hard drive space and it's connected to two large printers as well as a fax/printer. It shares a data drive we both use to store our office files, photos, music ,etc We use these for home use as well as our business, mine is e-commerce, hers desktop publishing.
Well we are getting Macs this month but now I suspect my server has been hit with a virus and enough is enough. Now I'm ready to replace it with a MacPro but as you can see this a combo mac/windows office. I may go 100% mac someday but how well would it work if I replace my server with a MacPro. I know Windows PC's can't read mac drives but if these mac drives are network drives can my Windows PC's read them? Will it cause any problmes storing Windows files on a mac server? I guess I am wondering if my pc's will treat it as a server when it comes to files, printing, etc? I depend on this heavily and like the idea of protection of viruses. I know a lot now about mac computers but not as a server and am wondering if there is a version of OS X for servers or a way that this can be used? Linux is probably my other option but I've heard it's hard to use.

wpd7
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2006, 03:22 AM

To clear a few things up...

Windows can read Mac volume shares and macs can read windows volume shares- especially under OSX.

If you mean PCs can't read actual mac Hard Drives, you are partially correct. However, you can format mac HDDs with fat32 (MS-DOS in mac's disk utility). Macs can read PC HDDs whether they are formatted fat16, fat32, ntfs.

No issues in storing windows files on a mac server- just make sure you add your .ext =)

Print sharing/server under OSX to macs or PCs is way easier than Windows 2003 server- trust me.

There is a version for OSX server, but for your use, I would recommend just using standard OSX. It looks like you dont need the added benefit of Open Directory, etc. Did you use Active Directory in any meaningful way in Windows? If not, stick with a standard OSX.

Linux is not hard to use, just not as intuitive.

I would recommend a Mini with an external FW drive of your choosing for the server, based on your description. Be sure to double up for redundancy- FW RAID is your friend.

markw10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2006, 03:36 AM

I've never used Active Directory. I currently use XP Professional but in the past I've never used an actual 'server' version of Windows since it's not really a full server like in a big business. Seems standard OS X will do the job for me. I want something intuitive so Linux is out. I will check into RAID. I didn't realize you can do RAID with an external drive. maybe you can with Windows and I never knew.

OreoCookie
Sep 3, 2006, 04:29 AM

OS X can do all that easily. Networking with Windows machines is built right in and easy to use and set up …

Why don't you give it a try with one of your Macs? Just set up an extra account (which will be the place to share files with you wife), plug in both printers and activate Windows and Printer Sharing in the Sharing Preferences (of the System Preferences). Make sure to add that new user to the accounts which are allowed to share their home directory to Windows machines.

You're done now. That shouldn't take longer than 15, 20 minutes, including the installation of drivers and moving your Mac to that specific location
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cms
Senior User
Sep 3, 2006, 05:12 AM

OreoCookie is absolutely right -- setting this up in OSX is dead simple. It's more than adequate for the use you describe, and far, far easier than configuring OS X Server. Not to mention a damn sight cheaper, too!

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Sep 3, 2006, 01:54 PM

If you want to have more flexibility, try out the free Sharepoints. With that application, you can share any folders you choose with Macs and PCs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules