Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Internet speed problem

Internet speed problem
davidk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2010, 10:42 AM

My internet is very spotty. Pages load very slowly but videos stream quickly. My roomate has no problems with the same network and i have the same problem over different networks. My biggest problem is with gmail, which says that I have an internet connectivity problem. Oftentimes it fails to load and when it does load, it says that some features could not be loaded properly. I tried clearing my cache and history and restarted my computer several times, which didn't help at all. I tested potential network problems in system preferences and it said that my connection was just fine. I also made sure I was up to date on all software updates. I can't think of anything else to try.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 30, 2010, 12:08 PM

What browser are you using, and what version of it? What computer are you using, and what version-both hardware and OS? We need the basics to start figuring this out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

davidk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2010, 02:40 PM

I am using Safari Version 4.0.5 (5531.22.7). I am using a year old regular Macbook. I have Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I don't understand what you mean by hardware and OS. Perhaps you could tell me how to find it if I didn't adequately answer the question.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2010, 06:41 PM

Your year-old MacBook is the hardware, and OS X 10.5.8 is the OS version. Now we're getting somewhere. Have you tried a different browser? Maybe Firefox or Camino? These are based on the Gecko engine and render rather quickly. Also, which version of Safari are you using? If it's not the latest, I'd recommend upgrading. You can get it right here.

Oh and could you describe your network? What sort of broadband (DSL, cable, something else), your ISP, and what router you're using... Sometimes the network hardware is not so helpful with some issues...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules