Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 15 v.s. 17

iMac 15 v.s. 17
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2003, 11:26 PM

Hey--

I went to the Apple Store today and I was trying to decide if I like the 15 inch or the 17 inch better...

And for some reason the 15 inch screen seemed sharper.... easier to read... I think I like the high resolutino better...

on the 17 inch, I think it goes too high and it doesn't look as sharp for some reason as the powerbook.... and when I tried to reduce it to 1024 by 768 it had black bar on either side because it's widescreen...

Anyone else notice this or agree or think I'm crazy?

Thanks.

mathew_m
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by daredevil:
Hey--

I went to the Apple Store today and I was trying to decide if I like the 15 inch or the 17 inch better...

And for some reason the 15 inch screen seemed sharper.... easier to read... I think I like the high resolutino better...

on the 17 inch, I think it goes too high and it doesn't look as sharp for some reason as the powerbook.... and when I tried to reduce it to 1024 by 768 it had black bar on either side because it's widescreen...

Thanks.
You're crazy. The only thing I can think of is that the 17" screen settings were off. No way should the 15" screen appear sharper or better. Perhaps you need glasses. The 17" resolution is much higher thus text will appear smaller and if anti-aliasing is set too high then it might appear blurry. Apple still needs to work on getting OS X font appearence as sharp as 9 however.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2003, 07:21 PM

I've been using the 17" iMac for a while, and I think it's a great screen. I haven't tried the 15" though. Note that I had to use the SuperCal screen calibrator to be completely happy. The screen looked much better with my own custom profile.

The calibration process can be a little tricky if you don't know much about color theory, but SuperCal has excellent instructions. It's important not to "over calibrate" the gamma curve, but to concentrate on getting the right curve in the darker tones. (I know, this was geeky!)

bstieritz
Jun 11, 2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by daredevil:
Hey--

Dude,

are you crazy?

Go for the 17 inch. Did you even have to ask??

Sheesh . . .

cheers,
brian

Javahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2003, 08:18 AM

I must be crazy as well, because the 17" iMac in our Apple store doesn't look as good as the 15" iMac. The colors were a bit washed out and the fonts on the Apple.com page were pixelated and hard to read.

One thing I noticed is that font smoothing is set to "Stanard - Best for CRT". I changed it to Medium, but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference, though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Javahead:
I must be crazy as well, because the 17" iMac in our Apple store doesn't look as good as the 15" iMac. The colors were a bit washed out and the fonts on the Apple.com page were pixelated and hard to read.

One thing I noticed is that font smoothing is set to "Stanard - Best for CRT". I changed it to Medium, but it didn't seem to make that much of a difference, though.
I have a 17" iMac. I'd say its screen is very good, but...

- the factory settings for color aren't very good. Take SuperCal and generate a new ColorSync profile. The colors are much richer and nicer afterwards.

- it seems contrast gets worse quickly, when you aren't looking straight at the screen. Use the iMac's capability to change the screen's tilt angle easily so that you look perfectly straight at it. That helps me a lot.

Cipher13
Jun 15, 2003, 10:05 AM

At uni, they have a bunch of 17" iMacs, and I find the screens on each of them to be superb... and keep in mind, I'm not an LCD fanboy.

Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2003, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daredevil:
[B]Hey--

After switching from high end 19" CRT with my Dell computer to an iMac 17, I never regretted my decision. Using 1152 x 720 provides excellent resolution and better than my CRT which has dpi of 24.
I found the 15" screen too small.

By the way, there is a 1024 by 768 stretched setting in which there is no side black bars.

I would recommend the 17" iMac for resolution and larger screen.

Javahead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Dell Switcher:
Using 1152 x 720 provides excellent resolution and better than my CRT which has dpi of 24. [/B]
I thought the 17" iMac had a native resolution of 1440x900.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 09:22 PM

Maybe he has vision problems?

The imac's text is smaller
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules