Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jobs and Gates to have 75 minute public conversation

Jobs and Gates to have 75 minute public conversation (Page 2)
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2007, 11:05 PM

Look at the body language in this photo. "Aiieee, don't touch me, you're RDF makes me squirm like a little gurl!"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 12:18 AM

Here's a recap of the interview if anyone is interested.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs | D5 | AllThingsD

There's also a link to a 10 minute video of the Steve Jobs interview earlier today.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
any quote by Jobs that is a jab at Microsoft is an "awesome quote"
Uh... Why act so wounded?

It is a great quote because not only is it funny, but it's very sharp and quick witted. As is the case with most of Jobs' quotes. There's a reason he's one of the most quoted people in business.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

zro
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 01:29 AM

Why on Earth was this not filmed for easy consumption on teh interweb?? It's like, the 21th century already!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 06:18 AM

They're wrapping up... shall we recap? Steve, calculating, articulate, very guarded, playing his hand very close to the chest. Bill, very friendly, very open, surprisingly accessible. Both so clearly in love with what they do. These two guys are one in a million, and it's totally clear they've never respected anyone else quite like they respect each other.
Steve Jobs and Bill Gates: Historic discussion live from D 2007 - Engadget

sounds awesome, want a decent rip of it though
we don't have time to stop for gas

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 31, 2007, 07:11 AM

Link to the highlights reel…

At some times, Jobs doesn't look too comfortable, especially when he makes some rather emotional points. And Gates gets too little screen time, at least in the recap.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
Link to the highlights reel…

At some times, Jobs doesn't look too comfortable, especially when he makes some rather emotional points. And Gates gets too little screen time, at least in the recap.

and the first part of the whole thing

All Things Video | AllThingsD

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2007, 08:02 AM

Any links to an iPoddable video download?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 01:22 PM

I'm watching the 3/7 video from macrumors...i'm excited to watch this all, they've already said a lot, and it's fun watching gates and jobs together trying to be civil, while also taking jabs at eachother. the 2 obviously have great respect for one another...but still have very different business philosophies

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 09:39 PM

Nobody else watched that? That was probably one of the most fascinating things I've seen in a while.

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2007, 05:32 PM

Did anybody else actually see the full video for this conversation? I was wondering what some of your thoughts were. I thought it was interesting and slightly twisted to say the least... but at the same time kind of what I was expecting their responses to be based on their personalities. And the conversation about the Mac ads was just hilarious... the whole conversation was kind of like a Mac Ad, reality version, in a way. Any other thoughts?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2007, 06:13 PM

I want to see it. I need the link to the video.

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2007, 06:52 PM

Sorry about that... here's the link:

Bill and Steve conversation

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 08:44 PM

Highlights Video

Text and video coverage of the complete Steve Jobs and Bill Gates interview is linked below the highlights video.
( Last edited by Andy8; Jun 2, 2007 at 08:51 PM. )

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 08:46 PM

The entire interview is on YouTube.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2007, 09:24 PM

I think it was an interesting and rare historical insight into two contemporary geniuses who has shaped the world we are living in immensely (and more than most give them credit for). I gained a lot of respect for the both of them. Although some of that was detracted from Bill's inability to be the visionary that Steve Jobs is.

It showed their personalities very clearly. Steve is the true visionary, but Bill is more the geeky dreamer. He is more of a "world of tomorrow" type of unrealistic guy who still believes 3D interfaces is the way of the future. Possibly a long with food pills and flying cars.

I also gained a better insight into what separates the philosophies of Apple and Microsoft and how they both compliment each other and drive each other. Apple again here has the better focus, innovating in a very real way. But I also realised there's room for Microsoft's wide shotgun approach to things even if they seem unable to come up with true innovation most of the time.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jun 3, 2007, 06:09 AM

They got fed up with the Ubuntu for desktops hype and got together to shoot one across Ubuntu's bow.

freudling
Banned
Jun 3, 2007, 06:14 PM

It was a very much needed interview. It showed the contrast between Steve and Bill, and their approaches to life and to business. Namely, that Steve seems to approach business the same way as he approaches life, whereas Bill is sort of a geek who puts on a different face in relation to his approach to business.

From the interview it is clear that Gates doesn't seem to understand what people need NOW, not tomorrow. Moreover, what Microsoft is working on, and what Gates seems to think will be the next big thing, doesn't appear to be based on anything tangible. Contrastingly, Jobs is honest, and claims numerous times he doesn't know what, for instance, the PC is going to be like in 5 years. Jobs is responding to life around us now, and giving us inovation that connects to and encompasses other useful technology of today.

In this sense, it is not hard to see how Microsoft, while they have contributed to the PC industry in a big way, fail to release really innovative stuff.

My opinion, Jobs has the winning approach. What he is really saying and doing is being humble, and realizing that he can't do it all, and he can't predict the future. Things like 911 and such, all largely unpredictable events that affect all of us in a big way. Jobs/Apple - they simply understand technology today, and what will be important only in the near future.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 01:41 AM

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
On a fairly random note, Asa Mathat looks a lot like Ass Hat at a glance.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by zro View Post
Very cool, thanks for the link!

forkies
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 03:40 PM

downloaded the podcast version. steve has funny S's. god, high-quality steve ruined my whole image of him and apple. i'm selling my macs now.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

brapper
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 06:00 PM

Steve is rocking a faux-hawk.

Check for yourself.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 07:18 PM

I think Jobs understands the human element better than most people in the industry. Long before the iPod, people had the option to buy all sorts of clunky Mp3 players with input/output, a zillion supported formats, and wide configurability. He made something stylish and easy to use that people would want to be seen with in their hand, and this made all the difference.

freudling
Banned
Jun 4, 2007, 09:57 PM

Good point Kerrigan. No doubt he has done it again with the iPhone. And the iPhone is a portable version of the Microsoft Surface. Certainly not easy to do what Apple did for the size of the device. I heard they were at it for 5 years. I am sure the iPhone is everything it is slated to be, and much more.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 06:29 AM

Why does it show as just 271.6MB on my iTunes? Did they replace it with a smaller version? Is it in some hidden iTunes preference file?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 10:42 AM

Did you grab the audio only version by mistake?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 06:01 PM

Did you grab the audio only version by mistake?
That's weird..... once I went ahead and downloaded it, then it did show up as 997MB.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

Finally finishing up watching it after all this time

A very inspirational video, for sure. To see two very smart, visionary people talking about how they have and going to change the world is wonderful to watch.

On the downside, that woman needs to stop interrupting and learn to not ask bad questions.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Trin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah I was thinking that too - she was starting to get on my nerves. I like your thoughts freudling, about their different approaches. It's so true that they approach things differently and Steve was very up in the air about the future where Gates wanted to plan out every little detail. I think Apple is hitting the market with what people need to make their lives easier... and it seems the things Gates is talking about is just focusing on making it more technical. Which isn't necessarily harder but it's a completely different focus.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 01:12 PM

It's because Bill thinks the future is going to be determined by what Microsoft visualizes. Apple specializes in thinking about what people want, even sometimes when the people themselves don't know they want it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules