Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sound Control Panel, small bug

Sound Control Panel, small bug
iPaul UK
Senior User
Jan 21, 2001, 07:49 PM

Hey guys.. Just spotted a small bug in the sound control panel. And it appears on both my Macs running OS 9.1

Open the (new tabbed style) Sound Control panel, and select the speaker tab. Does it flicker maddly or what!? Works fine anyway.. Does this on my iMac DVSE & iBook 466

I think this Sound Control Panel was also used under OS 9.0.4 with the multimedia update.

Bissimac
Jan 21, 2001, 07:56 PM

There is no problem with the sound control panel on my DV/400/192

I installed 9.1 from the web updater, and have been happy with the update. I havent found any problems as yet, and I have only discovered one application that isnt working under 9.1 compared to 9.0.4 (Tech Tool 1.2.1). The Epson drivers also work much to my surprise. The OS is definately quicker & more responsive, and the wake up from sleep is great.

Happy so far.....

tig
Jan 21, 2001, 08:24 PM

iPaul,

I had the same problem, but it began back at my OS 9. 0 update. It's gone now, in 9.1. Go figure

Fredo
Senior User
Jan 22, 2001, 01:36 AM

Just trash sound preferences, and that should fix it.
Who are the Brain Police?

MickS
Senior User
Jan 22, 2001, 03:58 AM

Unfortunately trashing the prefs didn't do it for me :-( Still madly flashing speakers.

Any more ideas?

rendy
Jan 23, 2001, 03:17 PM

No such problem with my PB Lombard.

mag2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 03:36 PM

Since the 9.1 update my sound does not work on a PB 233 when waking from sleep. I tried all the usual fixes but to no help. This does not happen on the 3 other macs here. (233DT, 3400 PB, 6200)

Any solutions would be appreciated.

Also when start up all machines are the update, the MacOS setup assistant flashes a few time the goes away. How can I correct this also.

jocohen
Jan 23, 2001, 03:53 PM

Works fine on my G3 400 and G4/450...But id like to see it flicker for kicks!

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 04:15 PM

Like I say, I'm talking about just one section of the latest Sound Control panel. The tabbed speakers section. The speakers flicker like crazy! Sorta like 5fps or something.. But everything else works fine. I suspect anyone elses Sound problems are completely unrelated to this.

Can't say that the problem bothers me. I was just curious about it, and wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Phloppy
Jan 23, 2001, 04:44 PM

I checked the Speakers tab, didn't see any flickering on my B&W G3. Just for kicks, I checked all the other tabs and saw no such flickering anywhere.

NotRegistered
Jan 23, 2001, 04:46 PM

I had the same problem on 9.0, 9.0.4, and 9.1, until I then downgraded to 9.04. Now it has mysteriously gone away for the first time in a year or so. Go figure.

- Josh

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2001, 04:51 PM

I had the flicker any time I used some third-party Appearance Themes, most notably "Paper." Under Apple Platinum, I have no problems.

namannik
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by tig:
iPaul,

I had the same problem, but it began back at my OS 9. 0 update. It's gone now, in 9.1. Go figure
Same thing here.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2001, 05:10 PM

It's most likely the Paper appearance theme. I'm using paper right now and I have the flicker like crazy, but when I switch to platinum it's gone. The control panel still works fine even when there is flicker; it's just annoying to look at. I don't think this problems is any type of reason not to upgrade to 9.1. I can't imagine that there are a lot of people who use the paper theme and like to leave their sound control panels open after they are done using them.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

WiseWeasel
Jan 23, 2001, 05:16 PM

That did it! I've been having that problem for a long time (9.0 or maybe even 8.x). I was using the Qt4 Modoki Theme. When I switch to platinum, all is well . . . not a big enough incentive to use platinum, but nice to know nothing's broken.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

dmbream
Jan 23, 2001, 06:01 PM

Yep...it's the theme. I'm running the Aqua theme and the Sound CP flickers (under 9.0.4 and 9.1). Switch to Platinum, and no flicker. Doesn't seem like a big deal. Set the speakers once, and you're done with that panel, no?

iPaul UK  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 06:10 PM

That must be it then! I've been using an Aqua theme on my Macs. Not tried turning it off.. I'll take your words for it! Interesting bug / problem tho.

ngrande
Jan 23, 2001, 06:22 PM

I have a G4 500 (single processor) Tower with OS 9.1 and was not able to reproduce the sound control panel problem. I haven't seem to run across any software problems either as of yet.

scooterz1
Jan 24, 2001, 01:22 AM

The only problem that I have with 9.1 on my Imac DV SE 400 is that the sound volume resets after restart.

Sam I Am
Jan 24, 2001, 01:53 AM

No problem with the flashing speakers but the sound does reset everytime i restart or when someone else logs in through multiple users

iMac DV SE 256MB Mac OS 9.1

P
Jan 24, 2001, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by scooterz1:
The only problem that I have with 9.1 on my Imac DV SE 400 is that the sound volume resets after restart.
_This_ is likely fixed by trashing the prefs.

Fwiw, I had flickering speakers under 9.0 with any theme but platinum, but now (with 9.1) they're solid with anything. Interesting.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

johns764
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2001, 10:54 AM

I get the flicker too on my G4 Sawtooth. Also for external sound input I select external mic and when I close the control panel and open it up again, it goes back to the default, which is internal modem on my install. Why I don't know. I have to change it several times a day......
David C. Johnson, Purchasing Agent
University of Minnesota Pharmacology
6-120 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Tel # 612-625-2465 or 612-625-9997
Fax # 612-624-0660 or 612-625-8408

http://www.pharmacology.med.umn.edu/
__________________________________________________ ________________________|
"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Macs work better than PCs...
But you'd be a fool not to follow their lead".

"Life is better where there's Macs"!

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2001, 11:22 AM

I bet I know why it's switching back to internal modem. If you have a dialup connection and you dial-in your connection software will automatically snap back to internal modem so you can hear the very lovely sounds a connecting modem makes.

Maybe there's a preference to turn this off? As well, using the input selecter from the control strip is much faster than going into the sound control panel.

Maxintosh

Forum Links
Forum Rules