Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Convert AAC To Mp3 in iTunes possible??

Convert AAC To Mp3 in iTunes possible??
krux`
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 09:46 PM

i Converted ALL my mp3's into AAC audio files, now how do i convert some back to share with some of my poor windows friends??

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 10:18 PM

Go into iTunes Preferences, and change the importing mode back to the MP3 mode you like

Now select the tracks that you want to change back, and go to the Advanced menu. There is an item called "convert selection to MP3".

This menu item lists whatever the current setting is in the importing prefs. I figured this one out this morning!!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2003, 10:30 PM

That's not good for the audio quality.

iTunes is available for Windows by the way.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

def H H H
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2003, 11:06 PM

I would burn what I could to a CD-RW, rip them in MP3 format, and then repeat that process. I don't know if there would be a significant loss of quality in doing that though.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 11:12 PM

No matter how you do it you will loose quality. There is no way around it regardless of what method you use. The same goes for the oppisate direction. If you convert MP3's to AAC's, you will still loose quality...

The only way to preserve quality is to rip them in the end format you want to begin with...

BTW, This post should be in the software forum...

Sarc
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
That's not good for the audio quality.

iTunes is available for Windows by the way.
WinAmp 2.91 plays AAC ...
now, if your friend uses Windows Media Player, he deserves death and you shouldn't even bother downgrading your music's quality for that.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

barbarian
Senior User
Nov 29, 2003, 02:37 AM

every time you convert you are essentially making a copy of a copy... so converting from mp3 to aac is bad mojo... especially if you are going from a 128 mp3

kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 07:01 PM

is mp3 at 160 or 192 or 256 kbps to mp3 at 128 kbps a bad idea?

If i do buy an Ipod Mini, i think this would be the optimal bitrate for me. Is this bad in the same 'copy of a copy' way?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
is mp3 at 160 or 192 or 256 kbps to mp3 at 128 kbps a bad idea?

If i do buy an Ipod Mini, i think this would be the optimal bitrate for me. Is this bad in the same 'copy of a copy' way?
Lossy anything to lossy anything is bad. Rerip your music.

Every time you encode to MP3 or AAC you're throwing away data. The first lossless -> lossy is bad enough; don't make it unlistenable by transcoding.

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by def H H H:
I would burn what I could to a CD-RW, rip them in MP3 format, and then repeat that process. I don't know if there would be a significant loss of quality in doing that though.
Why would you do that instead of what Hannah suggested?

Here's my suggestion: tell your friends to go to http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/aac.html and download the plugin for whatever media player they use. If they're using WMP, get the CoreAAC DirectShow filter. Then they'll be caught up to the year 2003.

kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Lossy anything to lossy anything is bad. Rerip your music.

Every time you encode to MP3 or AAC you're throwing away data. The first lossless -> lossy is bad enough; don't make it unlistenable by transcoding.
I don't have most of the cd's anymore

I think i'll have enough space to put all my favorite music on a 4gb ipod without any conversions.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 15, 2004, 04:19 AM

This topic belongs in the Software forum.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules