Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac 17" LCD not working? help anyone :(

iMac 17" LCD not working? help anyone :(
aktive
Apr 18, 2004, 09:01 AM

Hi there,

I have a 17" Flat Panel iMac (1.25Ghz) and its been working fine since I got it just after christmas.

However this is where it goes wierd. I was using it last night fine, then I left it on and went to bed (usually goes into standby and I just wake it up the next morning). However, when I got up this morning it wouldn't wake from sleep, so I had to power it off and then restart it. But, now the screen wont turn on. The computer seems to start up fine in the background (i.e I hear the start up chime and hard drive access, then after a while I can eject the CD tray from the keyboard and turn the volume up and down). But the screen is black, no signal going to it at all.

I have tried resetting the PRAM & NVRAM (Command, Option, P & R at the chime). But this doesn't seem to have any affect. Also, I've tried disconnecting all the peripherals so there is nothing plugged in except the power cable, but that doesn't change anything either.

Has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone know what might bring my LCD back to life? If you guys can't help me the next step is a dreaded call to Apple Support......Nooooooooooo.....damn the extra long telephone queues

Thank you in advance and I hope someone can help.
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

xanderwilson
Apr 18, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by aktive:
But the screen is black, no signal going to it at all.
I don't have an iMac, but here's something I might forget about myself: on the laptops, there's a function key that raises and lowers the display brightness. (F2 for brighter and F1 for darker). Hit the F2 key a couple of times if you haven't already. Again, this is a mistake I would make/overlook.

Also turn off all the lights in the room to see if there's ANY light coming from the LCD.

Originally posted by aktive:

Has anyone else had this problem? or does anyone know what might bring my LCD back to life? If you guys can't help me the next step is a dreaded call to Apple Support......Nooooooooooo.....damn the extra long telephone queues
Actually, it's not so bad. If you've got AppleCare, then give em a call. Hopefully it's just a matter of a loose connection.

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

Forum Links
Forum Rules