Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Memory for G4 iBook?

Memory for G4 iBook?
toffe
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 07:30 AM

Hello, i am planning on buying an iBook 12" soon, when the upgrades come (if they ever -sigh-, waiting sucks.)
I plan to buy one with just the 256 memory, and then buy additional memory form elsewhere.
I found a site that sells memory for macs, and it looks quite cheap.
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgr...=Show+Upgrades

If it will work, i would buy the 1GB memory for $159.99, but such a low price for memory makes me suspisious. (I had a friend who bought memory for his G4 powermac and it didn't work althoug it was kingston...) I mean it looks too good to be true.
When considering that 1GB extra memory would increase the price with $500 in the apple store.

So i would be glad if someone could give me advise about the memories...
( Last edited by toffe; Apr 29, 2005 at 08:07 AM. Reason: type-o)

Canterbury
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2005, 11:53 AM

I say go for it, if I had the money to drop on a 1GB stick Id do it in a heart beat. BTW thats a good price. Macsales/OWC is a pretty reputable source.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 29, 2005, 02:56 PM

I'd spend the extra $30 and get the Samsung part. It's what Apple uses, and it's a brand name, not a no-name like the one you chose. I like the guarantee, too.

Or you could go to Kingston, or Crucial and pay a little bit more. There's lots of RAM out there, just go with a vendor that provides quality products and a good guarantee.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:41 PM

I've had nothing but great results from my KingMax 1GB SO-DIMM I bought from NewEgg.com. It cost just under $200.00 and works perfectly in my iBook G4. Be sure to match the size and other specs carefully. The Technical Notes from Apple are quite helpful in this regard.

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the advise, i'll probably buy the Samsung (or maby the cheaper one).

zenwhen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 09:10 PM

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by zenwhen
That looks great, has anyone tried such a memory on an iBook?

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2005, 10:55 AM

I got my iBook G4 in December 2003, with 384mb (The built in 128mb (!) and a 256mb in the second slot).

A few months later I bought a 512mb stick from www.crucial.com . It was advertised as being suitable for my model, but when I installed it my iBook kept Kernel Panicking. I phoned Crucial, and they said there were two types, (single sided and double sided or something), and if I sent mine back to them they would swap it for the other type. This is what I did, and the new one works great. No problems at all.

I'd say go for it. You occasionally get incompatibilties with third party RAM, but if it works, it works.

Just be careful when installing it to pay due care to the instructions. Try not to touch the gold contacts and make sure you aren't carrying a charge. Don't shuffle around in Nylon socks on a Nylon carpet just before or anything.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 09:32 AM

Wen you sent it back to crusial, did you have to pay for the shipping yourself, or did you get it for free/prepaid or something?

Since i live in Finland those kind of things can become expensive...

And about the single/double sided things,
what shall it be in an 12" G4 iBook?

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 08:47 PM

I had to pay shipping myself. It didn't cost much - 1st class recorded delivery for a jiffy bag cost about £2.50 I think (about US$5).

As for the single/double sided thing - I honestly can't remember what the exact problem was, it may not have been this, all I can remember is there were two types, and the first one they sent was the wrong type. It seems to be a complicated compatibilty issue that often ends up with a case of trial and error. I do not remember the second stick looking any different to the first.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules