Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 135)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:27 AM

Not that this thread is cyclical or anything.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 11:31 AM

Your logic has no place in this thread.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:53 AM

Anybody suffering from XBL shite performance atm? For the past few nights I've rarely been on for more than an hour when someone doesn't quit a game due to lag. Last night was virtually unplayable.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 02:36 PM

What games were you playing? I haven't noticed any lag.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:09 PM

CoD4.

EDIT: Probably our internet connection actually. We lost TV, telephone and internet last night. I actually had to communicate with other family members.
( Last edited by mattyb; Jul 4, 2009 at 05:32 AM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2009, 11:20 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
It's funny, but it's not. This isn't quite as threatening as Activision threatening to yank their software from the PS3 shelves, but the more publishers hop on this "drop the price or else" bandwagon, the quicker Sony is going to have to move.

I wonder if Sony regrets the whole Blu-ray thing at this point.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2009, 01:06 PM

New PS3 bundle at Best Buy today - $399 gets you an 80gig with MGS4 and Killzone 2. $90 worth of games included isn't a bad deal at all. I wonder if this is just stock clearing until a slim/price drop happens in the fall.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 01:13 PM

Anybody with Call of Duty WaW (on 360) want to help me get the few Co-op achievements?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It's funny, but it's not. This isn't quite as threatening as Activision threatening to yank their software from the PS3 shelves, but the more publishers hop on this "drop the price or else" bandwagon, the quicker Sony is going to have to move.

I wonder if Sony regrets the whole Blu-ray thing at this point.
I kind of doubt they do. Their format won the HD war, which means that as HD takes off, they suck down more and more money from the whole home entertainment market. In the long run, that will probably benefit them more than a stronger showing in the console gaming segment of the market. And in a few years, the PS3 will be affordable, so it won't be getting smacked around quite as badly at the end as it was at the beginning — I suspect this is why Sony was careful to say from the beginning that the PS3 was a system for the long haul.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Anybody with Call of Duty WaW (on 360) want to help me get the few Co-op achievements?
I might be tempted to help you out. (I need those achieves too.) I should be on around 8pm PDT.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 01:41 PM

I might be around kinda late tonight (12:30-1 EST) but any night this week is good for me, no rush.

Also, I dunno if I want to help you boost since you're so damn close to passing me by any day now.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I might be tempted to help you out.
Tempted? I've seen crack whores with more dignity.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
New PS3 bundle at Best Buy today - $399 gets you an 80gig with MGS4 and Killzone 2. $90 worth of games included isn't a bad deal at all. I wonder if this is just stock clearing until a slim/price drop happens in the fall.
Well, if you believe the talk thats been happening for months, this is stock clearing time.

I find neither game enticing, oddly.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 02:02 PM

Sony have to tread a fine line here. If they bow to developers demands then they lose control. And what if a group of developers 'gang up' against the hardware suppliers?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 02:04 PM

I'm pretty sure all the rabid MGS fanboys have already bought a PS3 (or they're so poor that it wasn't the cost of the game preventing them from buying one), so presumably this is meant to entice Killzone fanatics, I guess?
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 02:05 PM

All 5 of them.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 02:21 PM

If you are going to get one, best to get the Killzone 2 bundle since Metal Gear Solid 4 is a greatest hits now.

Hell, I'd like to see these developers lower THEIR price on games back to $49.99, like PC games are currently still. The finger can point both ways this generation from my view.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 02:24 PM

$10 on the price of games is not as big a barrier as $200 on the price of the system. As a percentage of the price, the PS3 is roughly 100% more expensive than its competition, while the games are 20% more expensive than their competition (if you view PC games as competition to console games). And cutting game prices by $10 wouldn't make as big a difference in savings unless you buy way more games than the average gamer.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 7, 2009 at 02:41 PM. )
Chuck
___

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'm pretty sure all the rabid MGS fanboys have already bought a PS3 (or they're so poor that it wasn't the cost of the game preventing them from buying one), so presumably this is meant to entice Killzone fanatics, I guess?
This bundle has enticed a 360 fanboy at my office into buying one. His excuse was that it was for Blu-ray playback, but the 2 free games put it over the edge for him. He's never played any of the MGS games before.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 02:52 PM

$10 on the price of games is not as big a barrier as $200 on the price of the system. As a percentage of the price, the PS3 is roughly 100% more expensive than its competition, while the games are 20% more expensive than their competition (if you view PC games as competition to console games). And cutting game prices by $10 wouldn't make as big a difference in savings unless you buy way more games than the average gamer.
You buy a system once. You buy games constantly. $10 * each game you buy adds up a lot more over time. This alone is why you see a huge spike in used games sales this generation compared to the last

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
You buy a system once. You buy games constantly. $10 * each game you buy adds up a lot more over time. This alone is why you see a huge spike in used games sales this generation compared to the last
Yes, but for most people, it takes a very long time to add up to the price of a PS3. I don't think it's a major barrier to video game sales, unlike the price of the PS3. So what I'm saying is there's much less of a point to game publishers cutting the price of their games by $10. The only thing it would accomplish is to cut their profits by 17%.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 02:56 PM

This seems like a good time to bring this up:
Kotaku - Why Did Twice As Many People Play Dead Space As Bought It? - Dead Space

Obviously, they're taking a rather pessimistic approach and not considering rentals or it being passed around among friends, but the more bothersome part is they seem to be taking the BioShock view on things: multi should be included. Lowering the price for a game that appears to offer less just isn't an option for them.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 03:01 PM

Yes, but for most people, it takes a very long time to add up to the price of a PS3. I don't think it's a major barrier to video game sales, unlike the price of the PS3. So what I'm saying is there's much less of a point to game publishers cutting the price of their games by $10. It wouldn't accomplish much except to cut their profits by 17%.
I'm not arguing that the PS3 price isn't high, My point is the games aren't exactly cheap either. With the price higher people are doing their homework more before they just pay $60 for a game. When this game does bad, it's the console makers fault for not having enough systems in the market instead of them making a bad game. I just think things aren't as point blank as saying it's ONLY Sony's fault for having a high price console. It's part of it, of course but at some point you have to man up and admit your game is garbage and thats why it didn't sell.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 03:13 PM

How much more homework do you think people do at $60 vs. $50? I really doubt it makes a very big difference.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I just think things aren't as point blank as saying it's ONLY Sony's fault for having a high price console. It's part of it, of course but at some point you have to man up and admit your game is garbage and thats why it didn't sell.
They're just being greedy, though. On a few of the higher profile titles we've looked at, the attach rates for PS3 have been comparable to the 360s. If they think the PS3 needs a price drop to move more consoles, than it must be based in the notion that the people who will buy it are outright refusing to buy the 360, because its pretty much the same audience.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2009, 03:22 PM

How much more homework do you think people do at $60 vs. $50? I really doubt it makes a very big difference.
There are plenty of games that I would have bought on release for $50 that I waited on instead. $10 adds up when you buy 10-15 games per year.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 03:24 PM

All I know is what Amazon did this past holiday season will lead to a lot of hesitation on my part on the non-must haves. They discounted several high profile games.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2009, 03:37 PM

The only upcoming game that I definitely want on day one of release is Star Wars: Old Republic. Everything else I can wait for a sale, because I won't be concerned with online play.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 03:45 PM

There are plenty of games that I would have bought on release for $50 that I waited on instead. $10 adds up when you buy 10-15 games per year.
Did you buy the PC editions instead if they were available?
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2009, 03:52 PM

Same here. I buy more games used this generation because of this. So does everyone else judging by the huge profits GameStop has been putting up, the last few years.

I did.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2009, 04:15 PM

I try to avoid PC games. Exceptions being Valve games (I refuse to play Half Life or Team Fortress on a console), and I'm making an exception for Old Republic since there is no other option. Mostly because I'd rather play from my couch than my desk.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2009, 04:35 PM

I find neither game enticing, oddly.
MGS4 was a better game than I ever thought it would be. No doubt about it.

As for the rest of this conversation, I tend to believe that $50 is close to a "magical" figure. $50 just sounds like a lot less than $60. I was talking about this to some of my friends the other night after we all admitted to buying fewer games this current generation.

I'm not sure what it is. Usually I think of things as how far they are from a set of figures like 25, 50, 100, 250, and 500. Depending on the product, anything below the line you expect it to be at is fine, while even a few dollars more than that line just feels high. The $60 has definitely played a part in my buying tendencies this time around.

Of course, this comes from the guy who has probably wasted $300-$400 in console swapping as well.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 04:50 PM

I never picked up any of the MGS games. As far as declining sales, I'd be inclined to also attribute that to aging as well. You get choosier about that you spend time (and money) on, and the ones you do spend time on tend to take up more, either through the increasingly longer single-player campaigns or the online multiplayer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 04:54 PM

I buy a lot of used games, but I would do the same even if new games were $10 cheaper.
Chuck
___

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
As for the rest of this conversation, I tend to believe that $50 is close to a "magical" figure. $50 just sounds like a lot less than $60. I was talking about this to some of my friends the other night after we all admitted to buying fewer games this current generation.

I'm not sure what it is. Usually I think of things as how far they are from a set of figures like 25, 50, 100, 250, and 500. Depending on the product, anything below the line you expect it to be at is fine, while even a few dollars more than that line just feels high. The $60 has definitely played a part in my buying tendencies this time around.
I think that you're right. Even in euros or pounds anything over that 50 mark seems expensive for a game. Its the same with the console prices though, get past that 300 mark and people start to twitch. In France the 80G PS3 is 350€ (cheapest that I can find). The 360 Arcade is 150€.

Blu-ray hasn't caught on here like I thought it would, maybe we'll see it used for storage instead of films. I've got a crappy CRT anyway, wtf would I do with a Blu-ray film?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 12:09 AM

Tempted? I've seen crack whores with more dignity.
Save your crack whore rejection story for the next MacNN Dark Confessions thread.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 12:24 AM

All I know is what Amazon did this past holiday season will lead to a lot of hesitation on my part on the non-must haves. They discounted several high profile games.
I'm with you there. I remember seeing CoD: WaW, Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead and Halo 3 for $35 at Target this past holiday season. ODST & MW2 are the only two games I'm picking up on release day. I'll wait for the price drops on everything else.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2009, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If you haven't gotten them yet, I can help ya. Lemmie know. I'll be on around 8:15pm pst wednesday.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2009, 03:33 AM

Cool. We just need one more person.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 02:56 PM

The Dakar Gaming News feed appears to be down today.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 03:20 PM

Not really a lot going on, I think. The only remotely interesting news I've heard today is that the PS3 is finally getting Fallout 3 DLC — and that's only vaguely interesting, since neither I nor anyone else on the planet actually owns a PS3.
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 03:28 PM

It's the doldrums of July. There's been a few entertaining news stories, but not on the same day. And nothing actually noteworthy.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 03:30 PM

Doesn't the new GoW 2 DLC pack come out this week?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 03:33 PM

28th.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 03:41 PM

Not really a lot going on, I think. The only remotely interesting news I've heard today is that the PS3 is finally getting Fallout 3 DLC — and that's only vaguely interesting, since neither I nor anyone else on the planet actually owns a PS3.
The interesting bit is that they're getting Broken Steel first, but not until September (maybe).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2009, 03:46 PM

Yeah, they're getting hammered on the time til release, but given the bugginess of the DLC on the 360, this may not be a terrible thing.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 10:34 AM

Tuesday Morning News Bukkakke just for stogie's face

BioWare rags on Activision
"I think it's silly to be saying you're not going to support Sony," says Zeschuk. "The brand itself is still huge and there are millions of [users] out there."

MS shafting indie developers?

Having spoken with several "concerned" developers, Screen Play is reporting that Microsoft have begun to "dramatically reduce" the number of independent titles they publish on Xbox Live Arcade.

It's believed that the crackdown is a response to fears that there's simply too much stuff available on the service, and that major publishers are behind the move, having been pressuring Microsoft to cut down on the number of games competing for advertising and awareness.

Independent developers are also upset at what they feel are two different sets of rules for publishers, one for indies and one for major publishers, which sees "independent games rejected for being too similar to an existing title on the service, yet major publishers were able to flood it with retro remakes".

More Forza eye candy for sek

oh noes: nokia kills n-gage dev studio

To be cross-posted
Modern Warfare 2: Prestige Edition includes working night vision goggles, original Call of Duty for PSN/XBLA
( Last edited by Dakar V; Jul 14, 2009 at 11:14 AM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2009, 11:11 AM

Jesus, I bet that prestige edition costs between $150 and $200. Those night vision goggles look sweet.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2009, 02:23 PM

The Thinning Video Game Fall Of 2009 - Opinion - Kotaku

Kotaku is actually bitching about it not being a ridiculously full fall.

Forum Links
Forum Rules