Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Address Book.app: Export CSV

Address Book.app: Export CSV
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 03:06 PM

Gmail has added address imports via CSV files. Address Book.app appears to export as a *.abbu file. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert this file to a *.csv?
jesse ;-)

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 03:12 PM

There's a program on VersionTracker.com for this... search for "gmail."

Nagittar
Jul 19, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by jessejlt:
Gmail has added address imports via CSV files. Address Book.app appears to export as a *.abbu file. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert this file to a *.csv?
jesse ;-)
What about exporting a CSV file from Entourage? As I see it contacts in Entourage can only be exported as .txt.

Without importing my contacts to Mail.app and then using the AddressBookToCSV app is there anything I can do?

Cheers.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:51 AM

Hey Max. Good to see you around (maybe you are, but haven't noticed). Thanks for the hook up, i was wondering the same thing but hadn't yet gotten far enough to do a search. Pretty sweet, and now gmail is all sorts of hooked up. They already handled contacts far better than yahoo anyway, but now... sweet is the only word.

On the list of things i want for gmail... importing messages, so that if i set another account to forward to gmail i can have gmail act as if the messages were sent to my gmail account and include them in threads appropriately. I mean, they are already scanning the text of all our messages, they could definitely take it a step further.

Whatever. Rock.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

brianmcblade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2005, 05:33 PM

hello,

i have just been trying to do this and think i have cracked it. so annoying that apple don't provide this service! just because you want to use another provider (gmail) doesn't mean you don't love them

first of all back up your contacts to an abbu file somewhere
anyway, open up address book. click on a contact. select them all with ctrl-a. then select card, merge vcards. this will creat one vcard with your entire address book. from here, export the vcard. you can then import this exported vcard into excel using fixed width delimiters (much easier than searching through the address book.data file ) if you wish to name the contacts you should create a csv file and then import it into gmail. alternatively gmail creates names from the line fore the @ symbol on the address.

don't forget to go back to your address book and back it up from the first exported abbu file so you have individual contacts again.

cheers,

brian

Forum Links
Forum Rules