Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Samsung tries tempting iPhone owners with Galaxy smartphone trial

Samsung tries tempting iPhone owners with Galaxy smartphone trial
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 21, 2015, 08:35 AM

Samsung is offering a trial of its smartphones to owners of the iPhone, in an attempt to acquire more sales by convincing iOS users to switch. Open to only iPhone owners in the United States, the "Ultimate Test Drive" promotion provides access to the user's choice of either a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 or a Galaxy S6 Edge+ smartphone for a 30-day period, with Samsung claiming there to be "no obligation" to acquire the borrowed device after the trial.

The program website directs iPhone owners to use their device to access the promotion, to confirm they do indeed own one, before receiving their selection of Samsung smartphone. A SIM card and data plan are included with the device, reports Engadget, with the smartphones said to be compatible with any US carrier. While the offer involves a free month of usage, it is unclear if those taking up the promotion will have to set aside some form of collateral before it is dispatched.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge +
Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Galaxy S6 Edge +

The new promotion follows after another disappointing quarterly financial report from the Korean electronics producer. At the end of July, it was revealed its IT and Mobile Communications division had performed underwhelmingly, with its mobile earning's being "quite marginal" due to lower than expected smartphone shipments and higher marketing expenses, despite the launch of the Galaxy S6.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2015, 10:16 AM

I had enough of Android, thank you. Why would I want to take a giant step backward?

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 21, 2015, 06:13 PM

I agree...it was the Android OS, not the HTC One phone that made me return it after 2 weeks.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2015, 06:22 PM

Oh my, this is a great way to end my work week...comedy. I'm rolling in laughter!
--
Stuke

cashxx
Aug 21, 2015, 07:50 PM

Who would want one.......every time I mess with one its a god awful mess. The interface sucks and things are hard to find and I just don't like Android at all. The more I mess with them the more I hate em.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2015, 05:37 AM

To be fair, the Note line used to be very good. I have an iPhone 6 Plus as my work phone (love it) and a Note 4 as my personal phone. The Note 4 has 3GB RAM, an SD Card (I currently have a total of 160GB in mine (32GB + 128GB SD Card for media), a changeable battery, which is extremely helpful when you are spending a long time away from an outlet. It also has a pretty neat IR blaster (works as my TV remote).

However with the Note 5, while it added 1GB RAM (4GB), it removed the SD card (and caps out at 64GB internal memory), removed the changeable battery, removed the IR blaster, added a glass back (even Apple got rid of that idea). It kept the stylus (which I use more than I care to admit).

Basically if I were coming to it today, I'd be like "Why not just stick with the iPhone." Nearly everything they had in the Note 4 to differentiate themselves is gone. Even worse, apparently Samsung is now sending advertisements via Google Cloud Messaging. If that hits my Note 4 then I'll be selling it on ebay.

Stick with the iPhone. Samsung is going through an adolescent stage of finding themselves.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules