Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SCSI problems-PM 8500

SCSI problems-PM 8500
richbrown
Feb 16, 2000, 07:27 PM

I have a PM 8500, upgraded to a G3. Attached to the external SCSI bus are a 2GB hard drive, a UMAX scanner, a CD-Recorder, and a Zip drive. Since I have installed Mac OS 9, the machine will not boot unless I power off the external HD. After booting, I can power it on and mount it with FWB mounter. I have installed the latest drivers with no luck. This exact configuration has worked fine for a year prior to OS 9. The System Folder is on one of the two internal drives.
Any suggestions?

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2000, 12:08 AM

OS 9 seems to be more sensitive to a lot of things. You say it has been working like that for a while, but have you checked all the SCSI voodoo, anyway? All the termination right? Changed out the SCSI cables?

Are you certain the drivers on the troublesome disk are OS 9 compatible?

I don't mean to assume you are a fool, but I have found that many times, the simple stuff I overlook is the stuff that bites me in the butt.

I'll watch this thread and hope that you can get it solved. Let us know.

Don

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2000, 12:33 AM

I had a similar problem that turned out to be a SCSI ID conflict - the two devices were on separate SCSI busses, but had the same ID. Apparently, the SCSI manager sometimes gets confused by this and treats them like they are on the same bus. Try moving the external drive to a different SCSI ID and see if that helps.

drewman

richbrown
Feb 17, 2000, 12:34 AM

I've done some but not all of the Vodoo stuff--changed device order, changed SCSI ID #, disconnected other devices. I guess I have to start from scratch and check everything again, piece by piece. I've already checked to see that I have the latest FWB HD Tookit drivers. Funny thing is that once the disk is mounted manually, everything behaves fine. Also, there have been a couple of times that startu worked OK with the disk on, but these have been rare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules