Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > browser for Quadra 840av?

browser for Quadra 840av?
wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2000, 04:10 PM

friend of mine has recently been given a Quadra 840av and was asking me what browser, etc., because the version of Netscape that is loaded on her Mac has an expired security cert (of course) and she can't hit some sites because of it.

i know iCab has 68k version but it has not fully implemented its https...

which browser does she need that will have a Y2K security cert in it?

i can't find anything that fits the bill from Netscape and I know that IE has no current 68k version... is she just stuck??

bluefire 529
Feb 11, 2000, 05:22 PM

If you have some old copies of the MacAddict CD laying around, they would include IE 4.1. I am not sure, but IE 4.1 may also be on the OS 8.1 CD as well. If you need 128-bit, you can go to MS's site and it should still auto-detect the browser and offer the update.

Good luck.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2000, 05:40 PM

no good... those browsers will not have the needed Y2K security cert!

bluefire 529
Feb 12, 2000, 04:35 AM

I guess you're right. Sorry. I can't think of anything else that would do the trick.

Dev
Feb 15, 2000, 02:00 AM

I think you should go with the most recent browser your quadra will run. If certain websites require you to have the latest wizbang browser with temporal fractal 128megahype security with the governments seal of approval (pun) then to hell with them, If a company needs that much of a browser required to sell you products they are trying way too hard. We dont play Mario on our browser we gather information, why the excuse for the bloatware! It used to be that you could surf the net with a Macintosh se30 now you need a PPC with system 8.0+, 16+ Megs Ram and at least 50 megs free HD space just for the buggy browser. I worked for netscape in 94-95 and remember when Version 1.1N fit onto a floppy disk and ran flawlessly on my old LCII with 4 megs available memory.

My final thoughts: (Al Gore's Internet) YEAH RIGHT! The Internet is way to overrated, I liked it better yesterday! At the rate the internet is getting congested with junk sites and in your face ad's I might as well walk to the library at least I'd be home for dinner before the cows. I think the old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink" doesnt hold any merrit when we switch places with the horse.

Sorry I had to let loose some steam.

Cheers!

Dev

Mike_Mn
Feb 17, 2000, 02:56 AM

There is a version of Netscape 4.0.8 that would fill the bill if she is using OS 7.6.1 or higher. Checkout the following location. http://home.netscape.com/download/se...tml?cp=dowcc16
Good Luck
Mike

Darren Neely
Feb 17, 2000, 11:47 AM

Although there are limitations in terms of Javascript support, etc. I think iCab browser is worth a try. It's pretty fast , uses minimal memory, and runs on 030's and 040's. I've even run it on a ci.

Aro
Feb 17, 2000, 11:55 AM

This is a totally different approach, but worth a consideration.

Install NetBSD, and you'll have a pretty swift UNIX box that'll run the 128-bit Communicator/Navigator 4.7 for FreeBSD.

wanderer
Feb 17, 2000, 01:08 PM

I would definitely recommmend iCab 1.9 pre release as it has implemented some javascript support. more on http://www.icab.de/ in addition to its low memory requirements, you have a greater deal of control than any other macOS browser.

not affiliated with iCab, just a very satisfied user, anxiously awaiting the final release

[This message has been edited by wanderer (edited 02-17-2000).]

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2000, 01:54 PM

iCab proponents: Yeah, I agree iCab is pretty cool but it is not the be-all browser... yet.

A lot of you probably don't realize just how much kick a Quadra 840AV actually has. I've had the occasion to use an 840AV on several instances (okay... daily for three months using Quark and Photoshop) and it actually appeared to be faster than a similarly configured PM6100/60.

Though, as someone noted above, current IE versions will not run on the machine, Netscape 4.08 will. Netscape 4.08 is a decent browser, crappy CSS support and a seriously goofy DOM, but on an 840AV, it will likely be as nimble as iCab and pack more features. (Nav. 4.08 is just the browser. No news/mail client, editor, etc. built-in. It runs quite well on older machines, actually.)

My final vote? Someone already mentioned NetBSD. NetBSD or a 68k distro of Linux. (IIRC, there is a 68k distro somewhere.)

petek
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2000, 09:11 AM

I set up an 840av recently with both iCab and Netscape 4.05 (I think) with good results. iCab's newer releases are not too limiting, and take the least memory, but Netscape ran okay, too.

Netscape 4.08 is still available for 68k machines. Try: http://home.netscape.com/download/do...20_1_4.08.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules