Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Paint Flaking?!?!

12" Paint Flaking?!?!
dettociao
Senior User
Apr 23, 2003, 06:41 PM

I've had my 12" for about a month now. The only problem I've had so far is a lot of heat on the left side of the place where your hands rest when typing (right next to the trackpad).

But today, I was in the library and I noticed something-- there is black flaking on the aluminum directly where the heat usually is (ie under my palm). Sometimes this gets a little damp from my hands, but nothing major. Basically it looks like someone was spray-painting near the paint-- just little dots of black.

I'll post some pics when I get home-- hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm describing.

So I guess my question is should I try and get Apple to fix it? Is it worth it? Will they even do it? Or should I wait till it gets alot worse...

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 08:48 PM

Crazy man. The aluminum is anodized, not painted. Anodization involves submerging the material in a dye bath, and introducing electrical current so that the dye is absorbed by the metal. It's only about .0050" thick (the dye layer), but it's impossible to get off without wearing through the metal. 100% Lye solution is the only known non-industrial chemical that is effective at removing anodization (it eats away at the metal).

I seriously don't know what could be going on, but I do know that the coloring of the metal is not (and can not) be at fault, unless your machine's anodization was majorly screwed up. If that was the case, you'd be noticing a lot more than you are now.

I'd reccomend trying some denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol, which is diluted). DA can be purchased at any store that sells paint and chemicals. You can get a quart for a few bucks. Soak a disposable paper cloth in it, and try to rub off the marks. DO NOT get it on the screen, keyboard, or trackpad.

DA is the strongest chemical to use on the surface, but it's perfectly safe if you stay away from other components.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 08:50 AM

Wow. I would definitely NOT use anything on it at all -- not until you talk to Apple. Can you imagine if you used a solvent or something on it and it did something to it? I mean, it's SUPPOSED to be aluminum, but maybe there's something else going on? Remember when everyone said that the Titanium Powerbooks "couldn't flake or peel" also? Mine did. The grey area to the left of the trackpad flaked all to heck. Apple replaced the case completely on it.

Let us see some pictures, please?

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 10:12 AM

I'm taking pics now... it's a little hard to get the lighting right. I'll post them in a few.

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2003, 11:08 AM

I had a bad paint flaking problem on my old TiBook... Apple also replaced the casing, but it was a real hassle to get it done. However, I thought it couldn't happen on the AluBooks

I would like to think Apple learnt from their mistakes and anodised the case... if not, I may be rethinking my future Alu purchase...

Bring on the Pics!...
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Apr 24, 2003 at 03:41 PM. )

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 11:22 AM

OK Here's the deal. It's really really hard to get a picture of the flaking (it's really small-- say smaller than the head of a pin (the big end)). I have a 2.0 megapixel cam, but the flash totally messes with the aluminum (can't see anything). When I have the flash off, it's too blurry to see. Any suggestions on how to take the pics??? haha

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 11:33 AM

Use a tripod or improvise one and ad a few lightsources (to allow a higher shutterspeed) and get your whitebalance correct.

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Use a tripod or improvise one and ad a few lightsources (to allow a higher shutterspeed) and get your whitebalance correct.
I've tried it. Can't seem to get a good picture of it-- it just DOESN't show up at all. Well I guess we can just close this thread until the spots get bigger (please god, no).
-.-
12" SuperDrive

grimley
Apr 24, 2003, 02:28 PM

are you sure that it isn't dirt? from resting your hands on the computer? As mentioned above there is no paint on the 12".

(not meant to be insulting... trying to find out why...)

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by grimley:
are you sure that it isn't dirt? from resting your hands on the computer? As mentioned above there is no paint on the 12".

(not meant to be insulting... trying to find out why...)
Yeah I know you're not trying to be insulting...

I'm absolutely positive it isn't dirt-- I've tried wiping it (quite sturdily) with a damp cloth. If it is dirt, it has somehow become ingrained in the aluminum.

Plus, it doesn't LOOK like dirt-- it looks like (somehow) the annonization is coming off of the aluminum. I know it sounds weird, I wish I could post a pic of it-- it's just so small right now that nothing is showing up. If it gets worse, I'll definetly post a pic or two.

Nate
-.-
12" SuperDrive

neltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 04:23 PM

The camera might be having trouble focusing since the black dots are so small. Try putting something else that's dark near the specks to give the camera focus something to lock onto.

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 07:50 PM

Will try when I get home. Right now I'm celebrating the end of finals!
-.-
12" SuperDrive

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2003, 08:27 PM

Sweat comes off your hands when you rest them on the hot computer surface. Try wiping it off with a damp cloth, there's a good posibility that it's just the salt from your sweat.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 24, 2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
Crazy man. The aluminum is anodized, not painted. Anodization involves submerging the material in a dye bath, and introducing electrical current so that the dye is absorbed by the metal. It's only about .0050" thick (the dye layer), but it's impossible to get off without wearing through the metal.
Anodizing does NOT involve any kind of dye or pigment. It's a chemical reaction which causes a thin layer of oxide to form. The characteristics of the oxide layer are what cause the color.

tooki

superlarry
Senior User
Apr 25, 2003, 09:56 AM

yeah, what anti-sleep said: try wiping it off.
that solved the problem on mine.

TJK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 03:38 PM

You sweat too much!

euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Tooki
Quote:
"Anodizing does NOT involve any kind of dye or pigment. It's a chemical reaction which causes a thin layer of oxide to form. The characteristics of the oxide layer are what cause the color."

Not the full truth, it�s case with the aluminum cases of the Alubooks (Alu-coloured) but you have to use pigments in order to get coloured surface (like the red,green, blue Maglites for example). The pigments are burried in microscopic caves that are formed out during eloxizing (ELectro OXidizing ALuminum). This explains the durability of eloxal painted surfaces. Metall oxides can indeed form colours (different colours due to different oxidation states, Example: chrome plated exhaust on a motor cycle, rainbow colours everywhere). But what colour takes place is difficult to control, this is DEFINETELY not a process that is used to produce coloured surfaces)

Eloxal experiment for teachers

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

real
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by dettociao:
OK Here's the deal. It's really really hard to get a picture of the flaking (it's really small-- say smaller than the head of a pin (the big end)). I have a 2.0 megapixel cam, but the flash totally messes with the aluminum (can't see anything). When I have the flash off, it's too blurry to see. Any suggestions on how to take the pics??? haha

Nate

If you have a Macro setting on your camera use that and get in really really close with that.

It might work.
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules