Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > i'd like to get into gaming? PS2 or Xbox? [jpg orgy]

i'd like to get into gaming? PS2 or Xbox? [jpg orgy]
nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 09:21 PM

so i haven't really played video games since i was a kid, nintendo, sega...playstation with friends every once and awhile. i have a N64 but never use it, i thought maybe because i don't have good system with good games could be why i don't get into gaming. or because maybe i just suck at video games. anyways if i get a ps2 or xbox i'd probably use it mostly for sports related games, madden, basketball games, maybe a wrestling (wwe) games and grand theft auto types of games. just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, i don't really know much about gaming...have read the E3 thread and learned alittle bit. i hear alot about have the xbox controllers suck. anyways thanks for any help you guys can give me.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 09:36 PM

EA Sports Games (Madden, etc): Either XBOX or PS2 (both online although I think XBOX Live is better)
GTA Double Pack (3 and Vice City): XBOX
GTA San Andreas: PS2
Driv3r (similar game to GTA): XBOX
Wrestle Games: I'm not fan of them but I'm told that XBOX is better for them

I think XBOX would be better for you but you probably should try both system first at any stores such as Target or BestBuy.

BTW, wondering why you're not considering about GameCube?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2004, 09:41 PM

If it's for sports, Xbox.

For everything else, you have to look at what they offer you.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

nredman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

BTW, wondering why you're not considering about GameCube?
didn't Nintendo go out of business? kidding...why would i consider a GameCube?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 21, 2004, 09:47 PM

Good question. Most people don't consider it. I guess when they want to play games they don't want SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME SATURDAY CARTOONS IN JAPAN YAAAYYYYYYY, and instead want to play a game that's closer to what they're actually interested in.

- Rob

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 10:30 PM

I'd say ps2. With the XBox switching to PowerPC chips backwards compatibility is uncertain while with the ps2 you can play ps1 games and you can be sure you can play ps2 games on a ps3 system.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2004, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I'd say ps2. With the XBox switching to PowerPC chips backwards compatibility is uncertain while with the ps2 you can play ps1 games and you can be sure you can play ps2 games on a ps3 system.
Why would anyone want to buy PS1 games when they're just getting into it?

Mike

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 21, 2004, 10:45 PM

I still play a few PS1 games on occasion.

- Rob

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
...why would i consider a GameCube?
How about new Zelda and Resident Evil 4? Even Ca$h is drooling at those games

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by selfabduction68:
SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME SATURDAY CARTOONS IN JAPAN YAAAYYYYYYY, and instead want to play a game that's closer to what they're actually interested in.
Exploding Guy = Rob:

fireside
Professional Poster
May 21, 2004, 11:28 PM

Good question. Most people don't consider it. I guess when they want to play games they don't want SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME SATURDAY CARTOONS IN JAPAN YAAAYYYYYYY, and instead want to play a game that's closer to what they're actually interested in.

- Rob
yes because Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, and all the new RE Games are so HAPPY FUNTIME SATURDAY CARTOONS.

grow up rob.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 03:42 AM

- Rob
Translation to the word of personal computers:
Haha so true, it's like those happy faced mac fanatics who like seeing happy faces on their screen and pictures instead of getting REAL work done. lol...
People instead want to use a computer that's closer to what they're actually interested inOS.

Point:
people laughed at the mac because it was not 'professional' enough (even though they did what they were supposed to , a lot better than their competitors). People(very few, like you), laugh at the gamecube, even though it does what it was meant to do a lot better than its competitors: being fun.

Do you remember WHY you chose Apple over the more professional and arguably conservative/older looking PCs ? Its the same reason why Nintendo is #2 and in the Black as opposed to Microsoft being #3 and in the red (with XBox).

GameCube: Games for people who love games.
Playstation: Variety for those who love choice.
XBox: A system for geeks who love specs.

And the reason why people probably dont consider the gameCube, is because of advertizing. Nintendo dosent invest a whole lot in advertising, as opposed to the big green company.(green as in jealous n envy....microsoft). But then again....advertizing dosent make a good system.

Ciao
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 22, 2004 at 04:04 AM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 05:59 AM

Actually I'm gonna buy a nice big arcade pad for my xbox and get DDR for it that and all the zelda games / sonic games for my gamecube... and maybe a few racing games for both boxes... *drool* it's gonna rawk.

Ca$h you need to go to an anime convention.. you'd start pulling your hair
Aloha

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
didn't Nintendo go out of business? kidding...why would i consider a GameCube?
If it dosent have the kind of games youre into, dont bother with the cube. But here's a short list off the top of my head:

-Rogue Squadron & Rebel Strike
-Resident Evil (0-4)
-Eternal Darkness
-Metroid Prime & Echoes
-Zelda (OOT, TWW and the new one)
-Mario Kart DD
-Viewtiful Joe(quite an artistic acheivment imo)

-Wavebird

But, if you want variety, go for the PS2.(i almost baught one off my friend)

The XBox, imo has nothing going for it except it's price/performance ratio...no special games on it. no reason to buy it.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 08:26 AM

I have a GameCube... and it ****ing ROxxxxxors.

It has the most Amazoing� controller. GameCube is for people who want to play REAL games, and it has Zelda games... Dude, the Zelda games are Amazoing�

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 09:00 AM

PS2 because you can get some classic PS1 games for nothing.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 09:24 AM

I�b buy the platform RARE develops games for.
Who can forget the best FPS ever-Perfect Dark? I�ve never seen such a great choice of weapons again.
And although I dislike (even hate) platform games Conkers Bad Fur Day was pure genius!

What is RARE up to these days?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Why would anyone want to buy PS1 games when they're just getting into it?

Mike
A lot of PS1 games are still amazing for their time.

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil. The list goes on, they are classics.

I still use mine to play import DanceDance Revolution games.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
And the reason why people probably dont consider the gameCube, is because of advertizing.
Wrong. I am a car geek. Does gamecube have Gran Turismo? NO. It has mario kart. Great. Instead of tweaking extremely fast supercars and driving around in a photorealistic env, I get to be a stupid 'big head' looking turtle driving a pink and purple go kart driving around in some world akin to a bad trip on LSD.

Gamecube has a FEW adult games. They've already been named. The simple fact is that MOST GC games are for kiddies, G-rated, and SUPER HAPPY WACKY ACTION!

- Rob

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 10:16 AM

BTW: I hate most anime. There's another reason.

sandsl
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 10:43 AM

I had to make the same decision a few days ago - and I went for the xbox (crystal limited edition one).

With Max Payne 2 and Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow, and Halo next on the list

I'm very happy with everything, from graphics, the games, the controllers...no problems at all.

Although I would say that the selection of games for xbox is smaller than PS2, but that didn't put me off.
Luke

OH-N'omac
May 22, 2004, 10:43 AM

Go someplace that sells games and count how many from each system you think you might be interested in playing. I think PS2 is nice for backward-compatibility, but you may not care about this feature since the PS2 and XBOX have both been out for a while and have a wide selection of games available. Pass on the cube unless you find a lot of games for it that you want to play, the selection for it is not nearly as deep as its competitors.

Its a great time to get back in. All of the consoles are nearing end of life and have low prices and a mature library of games.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I�b buy the platform RARE develops games for.
Who can forget the best FPS ever-Perfect Dark? I�ve never seen such a great choice of weapons again.
And although I dislike (even hate) platform games Conkers Bad Fur Day was pure genius!

What is RARE up to these days?
conker: live and reloaded
according to this microsoft bought rare

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:12 AM

Shibby.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:14 AM

Shibby again.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:17 AM

Shibby!!!!!

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:19 AM

Shibby.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:27 AM

Woot!

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:29 AM

( Last edited by Demonhood; May 23, 2004 at 06:15 PM. )

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 11:30 AM

Yes, that actually IS the game.

- Rob

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 11:31 AM

Wrong. I am a car geek. Does gamecube have Gran Turismo? NO. It has mario kart. Great. Instead of tweaking extremely fast supercars and driving around in a photorealistic env, I get to be a stupid 'big head' looking turtle driving a pink and purple go kart driving around in some world akin to a bad trip on LSD.

Gamecube has a FEW adult games. They've already been named. The simple fact is that MOST GC games are for kiddies, G-rated, and SUPER HAPPY WACKY ACTION!

- Rob
So let me get this straight...... you got a console just for racing games ? so what warrants you to dismiss a console cause it dosent have the one game you want ?

Grad turismo is a great game, and as i said, i like the PS2. But the gamecube has every other game i want, like the ones ive mentioned..
oh and Metal Gear is now on the gamecube. so can it.

benb
May 22, 2004, 11:51 AM

GranTurismo? Sorry dude, Forza Motorsport is gonna be on par or better. And with XBox live its gonna rock. RalliSport 2 is amazing as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...reenindex.html

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/forza-m...html?fromint=1

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 22, 2004, 11:54 AM

Nice!
I just hope that Microsoft doesn`t screw up and let`s RARE do what they want.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by benb:
GranTurismo? Sorry dude, Forza Motorsport is gonna be on par or better. And with XBox live its gonna rock. RalliSport 2 is amazing as well.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/...reenindex.html

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/forza-m...html?fromint=1
I just saw Forze demoed the other day. I'm DAMN impressed with it.

Mike

ryju
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 12:17 PM

I am definitely down for some Gran Turismo 4. And Final Fantasy XII.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
So let me get this straight...... you got a console just for racing games ? so what warrants you to dismiss a console cause it dosent have the one game you want ?

Grad turismo is a great game, and as i said, i like the PS2. But the gamecube has every other game i want, like the ones ive mentioned..
oh and Metal Gear is now on the gamecube. so can it.
Not being funny, but you have some signature akin to a Nintendo game with words "Xbox this..." Your opinions are not likely to be taken seriously by someone who is looking for impartial advice.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michel_80:
Not being funny, but you have some signature akin to a Nintendo game with words "Xbox this..." Your opinions are not likely to be taken seriously by someone who is looking for impartial advice. [/QUOTE

we all have our favorites.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 02:01 PM

I just bought this one

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 02:02 PM

[B]GranTurismo? Sorry dude, xxxx is gonna be better
I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Rob

benb
May 22, 2004, 02:15 PM

I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Rob
GT3 had no major improvements, other than eye-candy. Unless Polyphony does something amazing with 4, it will be passed.

Does SCEA write you paycheck or something?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2004, 02:49 PM

I just bought this one
is that ico? or whatever it is called? you have to help the princess around? i always wanted to play that. any good?
( Last edited by mdc; May 22, 2004 at 02:56 PM. )

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2004, 03:35 PM

XBox.

Last year, I would have said PS2, but my G/F got a good deal and scored an XBox and 2 wireless controllers and despite my initial qualms, it rocks.
Madden in the best. I went to visit the folks a few weeks ago and my Dad has a PS2 (yeah, he's retired and like playing video games) and we played Madden.
My god, it felt like playing a PS1 game. I just couldn't believe has much better the games are on the XBox,

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 03:54 PM

Well ports will always be better looking on better hardware.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2004, 04:00 PM

Better looking, yes. But also better playing.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 06:12 PM

GT3 had no major improvements, other than eye-candy. Unless Polyphony does something amazing with 4, it will be passed.
Uh.... yes? What else does it need? It has a ton of licensed cars that you can tweak the ehll out of, lots of great tracks, and REALLY great physics. Do you want the cars to shoot missiles or something? GT4 will be GT3 only with online play.

- Rob

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
is that ico? or whatever it is called? you have to help the princess around? i always wanted to play that. any good?
Yes. I don't know, it hasn't gotten here yet. I've heard it's incredible.

- Rob

fireside
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 06:26 PM

- Rob
so you think just because the graphics are "super happy wacky action" its automatically for kids? i've heard stories of moms and dads who hate consoles pick up Animal Crossing and play it for weeks on end. and basing a game just on graphics is naive. Viewtiful Joe: "Kiddy" graphics, AWESOME gameplay.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2004, 06:46 PM

In other words, most people who don't consider GameCube do so because they're afraid it is a threat to their masculinity.

That said, though, if you're looking for Manly Games (GTA, "sports" games, and the like), then the GameCube really isn't for you; not many games of these types make it onto that system.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
In other words, most people who don't consider GameCube do so because they're afraid it is a threat to their masculinity.
Do you like ballet? No. Is it a threat to your masculinity? Not really. Then why don't you like it? BECAUSE ITS FOR GIRLS.

Same with gaymecube. Do I like anime super happy wacky action games? Not really. Is it a threat? If you think a videogame system is in anyway threatening to your manhood, you seriously need to get laid. I just like more serious kick ass games. I don't like happy LSD trips involving human mushrooms and special brownie plants that warp you to another level filled with a bunch of purple clouds and flying penguins wearing raybans.

- Rob

selfabduction68
Baninated
May 22, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
so you think just because the graphics are "super happy wacky action" >snip<.
No. The graphics, sounds, characters, plots, vehicles, levels, humor, and music is all 'kiddy'. Other than that I'm sure they're great games.

- Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules