Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's A Good Job?

What's A Good Job?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 10:52 PM

OK, I've done Ice Cream Store, Safeway, Sears, and now a moving co. This last week the woman who picks out shifts and crap gave me a grand total of 5 hours. That's right not 55, or 15 or something like that just 5. So as a 21 year old trying to make enough money to be able to get an apartment and live out on my own... I'm kinda pissed. I'm sooo freaking sick of people hiring me and then giving me these joke shifts that serve no other purposes than to have someone on staff encase they might maybe need someone. It's a freaking joke. Worst of all a kid younger than me, 17, got over forty hours last week! Now I think the main reason for that is that he's the son of someone that works in the office. But still the kid doesn't need the money, heck he doesn't even want that many shifts but they're giving them to him. And he's certainly not as hard of a worker as I am and... yah. So anyway, I'm planning on calling in tomorrow and saying, "Hi remember how you thought you could jerk my chain around and screw with my hours and... yah well, I quit!" Actually I'm not sure how I'm gona say it but I really wanna just rip a strip off the people... probably won't though.

Anyway, so again I'm on the job hunt. I've thought of keeping this job until I find a new one. But honestly I'd rather be unemployed and at least know if I want to do something with someone I don't have the possibility of a shift coming up that's gona throw a wrench into any plans.

I've applied at a local Cable company/ISP but I don't know/doubt that'll go anywhere. I applied at the only place in town really that sells Macs, but apparently they're such a great place to work for they haven't had to hire anyone new in four years. And I applied at Moores and the manager said that this was their slow time but that I was on the top of his list for applicants in the future.
That said... is there some sort of secret to getting a good job that I just don't know about? All my friends who have gotten sweet jobs have always had someone just come up to them and say "Hey there's this job for 14 bucks an hour that you could totally do, my friend is in charge of it are you interested? It's a desk job and you just kinda sit there all day."

Anyone got any advice to share on how you got a really sweet job? How you normally find out about them? I'm incredibly frustrated and am seriously running out of ideas. Any help would be seriously appreciated. As well as any job leads in the Winnipeg area... anyone know a good black market kidney buyer?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 11:42 PM

Do you have any marketable skills? Are you a student?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 11:45 PM

I'm a student, I am going to be doing a pastoral internship with my church this coming year. That said... marketable skills? What do you mean by that? I'm great with people, not that great with math, good with computers...

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I've thought of keeping this job until I find a new one.
Umm, that's a must. Especially if you don't have any "#$%^ You!" (see below) money saved up.

"#$%^ You!" Money = Money you have set aside, to last a few months until you get another job after going to your boss and saying "#$%^ You!, I quit."

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Umm, that's a must. Especially if you don't have any "#$%^ You!" (see below) money saved up.

"#$%^ You!" Money = Money you have set aside, to last a few months until you get another job after going to your boss and saying "#$%^ You!, I quit."
Good idea. Never thought of that.

To the Chicken:

Anywhere you apply, make sure you show them you're willing and eager to get hired. After you turn in the application, ask them "What's the next step?" This puts the ball in their court, and hopefully that'll be enough to get an interview scheduled.

Using this technique, I recently got hired somewhere that has close to 40 employees, none under 21, and I'm 18. This is only my second job in Life, so it's not like I have loads of experience.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 12:07 AM

Hmmm I'll keep that in mind... thanks

I just have a lot of trouble, I don't want to seem really pushy... but I guess it's only pushy people that get hired...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 12:19 AM

MacNN is looking for some bloggers

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2005, 01:31 AM

Networking is the best way to find good jobs.

And, I should go to sleep, I have to finish a project for my new [temporary] place of employement by tomorrow night
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 02:19 AM

Tell your supervisor that you need more hours. Tell them you're trying to get out on your own.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 02:21 AM

So anyway, I'm planning on calling in tomorrow and saying, "Hi remember how you thought you could jerk my chain around and screw with my hours and... yah well, I quit!"
Don't say it like that. It sounds like they're using the 'starve you out' technique. If they're intentionally giving you low hours in the hopes that you'll quit, and you say it like that, then they'll just laugh when you hang up the phone cause that's what they wanted you to do anyway.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 03:14 AM

I don't think they're trying to starve me out. I've only worked there two weeks now. If they didn't want me they'd just let me go I should hope.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 03:31 AM

All my friends who have gotten sweet jobs have always had someone just come up to them and say "Hey there's this job for 14 bucks an hour that you could totally do, my friend is in charge of it are you interested? It's a desk job and you just kinda sit there all day."
Just sit all day? Sweet job? Is that what you want?

Try freelance wedding video making. Charge whatever the rest of them is charging or else the clients will shy away. You have the latest iLife right?

Railroader
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 03:32 AM

They probably want you to quit and not have to pay you unemployment pay.

I'd simply be upfront with them and tell them you need more hours, you are looking for a new job, if you get hired by another company and the new job conflicts with a shift they have for you, then you won't be there.

I applaud your efforts to get work. It something someone with your future needs. Good job.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 03:40 AM

sweetest job i've ever had was teaching english in japan - you only need a degree (in anything) and you get 3,600,000 yen per annum for teaching about two hours a day. all good.

i'd have said that the worst thing you could do is quit before you have something else - five hours of pay is bugger all to get by on, but it's a hell of a lot more than nothing.

sminch

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 05:24 AM

Have you seen the movie Orgasmo?

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 24, 2005, 07:51 AM

hip(2)b⟡
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 08:19 AM

A "good job." That is relative and subjective, isn't it?

Since you seem to have a good relationship with God, why are you mad or angry? God has a plan for you, apparently, and it doesn't include certain things and it may mean the job that you have has limited hours.

Stop being angry and upset.

Think and pray.

Then, start counting your blessings. You have good health and I'm certain you must have other good things in your life.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 04:57 PM

Get a serving job. Even on the slowest nights I make 15/hr in tips.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 05:07 PM

Waiting tables is hard work. But in the right places you will be well compensated if you are good. Give it a try.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 06:01 PM

I second the waiter thing. I work at a Ruth's Chris and on slow night's I make about $150 in tips all the way up to $200-$300 on a really busy night.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 06:54 PM

The really important think is to find something that your love doing.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
The really important think is to find something that your love doing.
20 y/o blondes

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
20 y/o blondes
Where do we apply???

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 02:52 AM

Sadly I don't think I'd do that great as a waiter... I'm great with banter and people tend to like me... but I'm not yet quite as sexy as I want to be . I dono... I could try... that said I'm not sure... if I get a job at one local restaurant I might end up not wanting to work there again... and Tcona only has so many good spots... haha... oh well... maybe I will apply at Moxie's... and BP... don't think i could stand working at Kelsey's or Montana's.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 25, 2005, 02:55 AM

Sadly I don't think I'd do that great as a waiter... I'm great with banter and people tend to like me... but I'm not yet quite as sexy as I want to be . I dono...
Sexyness is in the eye? of the Sexynator.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 06:32 PM

Hmmm... I think I am gona apply at some of the local restaurants. I might have a decent shot at Moxie's since they know that I know what good service is (seeing as how they can compare the differences in the tips I give to the good and bad servers )

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 25, 2005, 07:02 PM

Apply at your local Apple store.... Is there one in Winnipeg? There is one in Toronto, you could move there...

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 07:22 PM

This Chinese proverb comes to mind: Find something that you love doing and you won't work a day of your life.

Originally Posted by TailsToo
Where do we apply???
At your local college

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 25, 2005, 08:29 PM

Anyway, so again I'm on the job hunt. I've thought of keeping this job until I find a new one.
Never, ever quit before getting the new job. It sounds a LOT better to a prospective employer that you are currently employed (thus proving that you are employable; otherwise you would have been let go).

tooki

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Apply at your local Apple store.... Is there one in Winnipeg? There is one in Toronto, you could move there...
Already applied... I'm not even joking, they said they only wanted people who lived in the province... BASTARDS!
I applied at the closest thing, Advance Electronics in down town wpg, they said they haven't had a new hire in four years... nobody leaves. Sigh... I'm gona call back tomorrow anyway and ask if he's had a chance to read the letter I put on top, or if things have changed... I'm not terribly hopeful... it would have been my dream job though...

And what I love doing is going to be my other non-paying job this coming year, working as an pastoral intern with my church. I'm going to continue to work with the Youth there (though not leading since this is a learning experience and we already have a great Associate Pastor who works with the Youth.) and likely will be doing some stuff with our presentation software for Sunday mornings (Can we say Keynote!?) which will of course require me actually waking up on time which will be difficult haha... and I'll be doing other ministry stuff with the church. Sadly as an intern and at a church that already has 2 full time pastors and 1 part time (though really he's not so much he just doesn't need the cash since he's retired) they don't really have money in the budget to pay me anything (which would be nice but honestly it doesn't deter me in the least).

budster101
Baninated
Jul 25, 2005, 10:26 PM

Move to toronto or nearby...

That would be one heck of a commute from Winnipeg.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 10:35 PM

Well I would have moved duh

budster101
Baninated
Jul 25, 2005, 10:42 PM

The problem with some companies is they want you already moved in order to hire you. If you have a friend whom you can stay with and use his/her address on the application, then you can be hired maybe and then move over during a weekend to a nice apt.

So, they would hire you if you lived there? Go for it.
What is Winnipeg like compared to Toronto?

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 10:48 PM

Well it's significantly smaller, and the people are a lot friendlier. I swear not a single person smiled at me in To when I was there for the store opening.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 25, 2005, 10:54 PM

In Chicago it's a madhouse! A madhouse I tell you!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Networking is the best way to find good jobs.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of the people at the startup I work for know atleast 1-2 people there from past jobs.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2005, 11:10 PM

Sigh... I don't know anyone with terribly sweet jobs any more... any Winnipeg Mac users wanna hire me for something? I'll do Windows... well Ok maybe not... uhh...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 12:18 AM

You could always try to get some freelance gigs. Anything you have talent in can make you money. I just landed a deal for some freelance video editing that'll bring in a nice bit of cash and, if I do a good job, will probably bring in more business. I'm also looking at doing some freelance web development.

Jobs aren't necessary to make money. They aren't even necessary to make good money. They're just usually a good idea if you want steady money.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 09:31 PM

Hazzah! I have an interview at 2 on Thursday at a Big and Tall shop downtown! This'd be awesome, everything there is an arm and a leg so I'd probably make commission and would make a pretty penny!

meelk
Baninated
Jul 26, 2005, 10:27 PM

"marketable skills? What do you mean by that?"

problem #1
Bluntly, if you don't know what a marketable skill is at 21, you're going to have a hard time in life.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 10:38 PM

Of course I'm going to have a hard time in live, I'm going into full time ministry... most Pastors don't exactly have easy times in life...

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 10:39 PM

did superchicken just transmogrify into salty, or is this just a new trend in sigs?

sminch

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
did superchicken just transmogrify into salty, or is this just a new trend in sigs?

sminch
Both in the same damn town?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 11:07 PM

Zimph mentioned that DH had deleted a whole buncha never used SNs. And since this is the one I use like everywhere else in this here interweb I decided to register this one

Oh by the way I just called by a Big and Tall clothing shop down town for an interview at 2 on Thursday!
As well I was talking to a guy from school about me getting an apt and the fact that I was lookin for a roomie... and he was like... wow I'd love to live off campus... and so I might have found a roomie for at least First Semester next year
THINGS ARE COMING UP MILHOUSE!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 11:14 PM

are you going to leave a salty taste in his mouth? ;-)

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2005, 12:22 AM

Chicken, what kind of computer skills do you possess? Graphic design? Website Dev.? Etc.?

isao bered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 12:42 AM

when i was just looking for work to make ends meet - not so much a career - the way i stayed busiest was by applying at all the temporary agencies and accepting jobs on day and night shifts.

the usual policy at that time (maybe still is) that each assignment paid a minimum of four hours per day. there were weeks that between all agencies i would get paid for about a third again more hours than i had actually worked.

several times satisfied employers would extend a few-days contract into a month contract when they wanted to keep me around. when that happened i was usually able to pick up less desirable (hard to fill) night-shift work with another agency quite readily.

in the end this process actually led to a temp-to-perm position which eventually led me into a career-type position.

laeth

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
Chicken, what kind of computer skills do you possess? Graphic design? Website Dev.? Etc.?
I've been using Photoshop since I was 16... I'm 21 now, I own PS Elements but have used PS 3, 5 and 6 in high school (and tried CS recently and of course it was similar just with a few more fun features.) I own Fireworks MX 2004, and was incredibly adept at 3 (There's a few things in MX 2004 that I'm not great with, IE Data driven graphics I still don't get and haven't experimented with). I've got some experience with older versions of FreeHand, Dreamewaver and Flash (though while I can do flash I HATE the interface).
I have some experience with Premier which I'm using to help me with learning Final Cut Express right now which I've already used for a two and a half minute project.

Some things I've done in Photoshop and Fireworks:

This one's from when one of my YG kids asked me if I could put his head on a body builder's body... I was just bored enough to do it... apparently it fooled some dumb girls he hung out with... I was like Dylan you need new friends.

This one's like from forever ago it was supposed to be a potential T-shirt promo thing to iron on Tshirts...

This one was supposed to be an album cover for a local band, but they went with another one... personally I don't think it was as good... they did use photos I took at shows for the inside of the album though... like... a lot of em... I felt a bit gipped but whatever.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 12:46 AM

I should also mention I've done a fair bit of web dev, I suck at PHP though... like I can sometimes read it and get what it's doing... but I'm really bad at remembering syntax and stuff... I'm much more of a layout designer than I am a back end designer... I can understand how things need to be set up, like think in how a table would be laid out and stuff like that, and even sometimes I can think as to how things would work in a database... but ask me to write out how to put that database together and what not... and I'm lost.

Forum Links
Forum Rules