Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > black vs. white

black vs. white
mac_pc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 10:08 PM

is the material used for casing different from white and black? The white looks glossy outside while black seems more matte. Do these new macbooks scratch easily like the ipod video? I would really hate to see a $1000+ notebook having so many scratches like the ipod.

fox-orian
Jul 19, 2006, 10:20 PM

The MacBook plastic is similar to the iBook G4. Its strong and pretty resistant to most scratches. Grinding the macbook against something, black or white, would certainly scratch it. Scratch removers can be used on the white, I'm not sure about black personally.

The black IS matte, however it is NOT rubber-matte like IBM ThinkPads. The black is a sort of high quality black plastic, feels good to touch. While the black is seemingly more scratch resistant, grease and fingerprints show up nicely in overhead lighting. Some people say the Black can look better because of the way it accentuates the apple logo, and hides the iSight and other holes.

Some say the White is better because its cheaper and more symbolic of apple's unique style.

The black and white are just about equal to each other not that the white's discoloration problem has been resolved. The black, however, can get a "Worn" looking trackpad.

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 11:08 PM

The whites don't scratch quite as easily as an iPod, but they do scratch easily. Mine has fine scratches all over it from use mainly at home. If you're concerned about it, buy an invisibleSHIELD: (scroll to the bottom for the MacBook)

http://www.shieldzone.com/category/laptops/

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by mac_pc
is the material used for casing different from white and black? The white looks glossy outside while black seems more matte. Do these new macbooks scratch easily like the ipod video? I would really hate to see a $1000+ notebook having so many scratches like the ipod.
I use to own a Black MacBook and my wife owns a White one. I have to say that I like the White one better for these reasons:
1. The Black is Matte and shows ALL fingerprints!
2. When scracthed it has a defined white edge to scratches... unlike the white case which is glossy white that hides the scratches more.
3. The keys are also matte and after usage the oils from your fingers make the used keys shiny! I thought it would wipe off like the rest of the case, but I was wrong. I checked out the Black MacBook display models and they seemed to have the same exact problem! My wife's white one does not have any of the above issues!
I ended up selling my BlackBook on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESO%3AIT&rd=1
All high resolution pictures are on there.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 12:12 AM

Hmm... either way... get a keyboard cover.

Case
Jul 20, 2006, 12:24 AM

i have a blackbook and love it. I had a white one but you know what happened (blue), and they gave me a black one. Just got it but I love the black.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Case
i have a blackbook and love it.
Ditto.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Case
Jul 20, 2006, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0
Ditto.
my upgrade was free. lol

bryanmsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 01:47 AM

I had a white iBook years ago, and I really liked it, although the glossy surface scratched like the iPods. I have a new Black MacBook and I also love the look of it from about 4 feet away. Closer, and I'm shocked and a bit dissapointed at just how badly any sort of skin oil or fingerprints show on the matte finish and keyboard. My MacBook keyboard and trackpad already look older and more worn after 2 weeks than my Aluminum Powerbook did after 2 years.

For some reason, IBM and HP figured out how to get a black case without showing fingerprints so badly. Granted, their case material doesn't look as silky and refined as the MacBook out of the box.

I think if I were buying again, I'd probably save the $150 and get white...but I sure like the black when its clean.

iBook2
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by bryanmsi
I had a white iBook years ago, and I really liked it, although the glossy surface scratched like the iPods. I have a new Black MacBook and I also love the look of it from about 4 feet away. Closer, and I'm shocked and a bit dissapointed at just how badly any sort of skin oil or fingerprints show on the matte finish and keyboard. My MacBook keyboard and trackpad already look older and more worn after 2 weeks than my Aluminum Powerbook did after 2 years.

For some reason, IBM and HP figured out how to get a black case without showing fingerprints so badly. Granted, their case material doesn't look as silky and refined as the MacBook out of the box.

I think if I were buying again, I'd probably save the $150 and get white...but I sure like the black when its clean.
Correct! My thoughts exactly!

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 06:56 AM

I was thinking about the black, since I have not had a black mac notebook before.
Saw it in the store, and it looked great, shiny and black and sexy.

Then it was the white. Still looks good to me, and white is sort of "mac" now.
Thought of all the stuff that people has seen by now...worn black surface, scratched and fingerprints... White with its brown patches...
And of course there is the case of paying extra because its black.

So, I like the white (have an iMac G5 which is white), but would like the different black.

I like that a computer gets worn...my TiBook looks like it has been dragged through sahara. I love it. Means it has been used and been useful for someone.
I used to not like any scratches at all, but scratches are fine. I dont like the brown stains though...so yes to scratch, no to stains.

Have still not bought mine. Going for holidays, and will buy after my holiday. Maybe Steve-O will drag out a rabbit of the hat at the developers conference? I dont think so, but you never know. Dont need the computer before after the holidays anyway.
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

okoj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 11:53 AM

I got the white 2Ghz and used the extra money I would have spent to upgrade the HD to 80gb and the ram to 1gb BTO. It was still 20 quid less.

Case
Jul 21, 2006, 02:50 PM

the black doesnt like pick up fingerprints like the ones in teh store. blackbook forever!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 07:44 PM

This is a tricky one. I was ready to go and buy a blackbook, but then a friend said a friend of his had the black one and hadn't been able to clean the oily fingerprints off the keys and trackpad. I wouldn't mind it if it was easy to clean, but if it is permanent then no, not so sure I want one. I really don't want another white laptop, I've had an iBook for 3 years and want something different. I'm tempted to just go for the base MBP but then it is that much bigger and dare I say more fragile - whatever I buy will travel around the world with me. So I think I might just get the black one anyway and try and keep it as clean as possible.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2006, 04:15 PM

It seems that each color has its own issues. The black MacBook shows fingerprients, and the exterior of the white MacBook is going to scratch a bit easier (like the iBooks). It depends on which would bother you more.

I prefer the look of the white MacBooks, myself. My wife (who really wants a MacBook) looked at the black one and said, "It looks like a PC. It doesn't look like an Apple, except for the logo on the lid. And it's really not worth $150 more."

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2006, 10:28 AM

After looking at the (australian) Apple store it seems there is a 5-7 business day wait on the white Macbooks but only 24 hours on the black. Oh so tempting...
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

masugu
Senior User
Jul 23, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by nJm
After looking at the (australian) Apple store it seems there is a 5-7 business day wait on the white Macbooks but only 24 hours on the black. Oh so tempting...

Just Do It.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Case
Jul 24, 2006, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by nJm
Get the Black Macbook, you wont regret it. I promiss

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by nJm
Thats because Apple has increased waiting times to allow for education institutions to get their orders quickly. Obviously, there is no reason a school would pay $150 more for the black, hence that still has 24h shipping.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ael719
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by bryanmsi

I agree with you 95%. I prefer the way the black looks compared to the white, but I hate the grease stains and how it only takes one touch of the hand before you feel like you need to clean it again. If I had a second chance to choose a white one, I don't know if I would. I really couldn't see myself any happier with a white one. You just have to get used to the grease and only clean it once a week and not after everytime you use it.

One thing my black macbook has taught me about the way i type is that I only use my right thumb to press space bar key because of the grease stain that has set in on the right side of the key that cleaning won't remove
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by ael719

I only use my right thumb to press space bar key
Me too.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by iBook2
I use to own a Black MacBook and my wife owns a White one. I have to say that I like the White one better for these reasons:
1. The Black is Matte and shows ALL fingerprints!
2. When scracthed it has a defined white edge to scratches... unlike the white case which is glossy white that hides the scratches more.
3. The keys are also matte and after usage the oils from your fingers make the used keys shiny!
Everything this gentleman says is true, but I have found that obtaining a microfibre cloth (which you can get from any auto parts store for a buck or two) is all I need to keep the BlackBook in pristine shape. Dampen one corner of the cloth, wipe and then dry with the rest of the cloth. Naturally my BlackBook doesn't have any scratches because I keep it in a sleeve and generally take good care of it, so I can't comment on the scratch issue since I don't think that's ever going to be a problem with mine.

I'll be the first to admit that you have to clean this more often than you would with the whiteBook, but OTOH the whiteBook shows dirt (as opposed to hand oil) much more easily. Bottom line: BlackBooks need more polishing, but it soooo impressive (and matches my other equipment) and so far I love it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 05:07 PM

Black vs. White? Is this like Spy vs. Spy???

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by fox-orian
The MacBook plastic is similar to the iBook G4. Its strong and pretty resistant to most scratches. Grinding the macbook against something, black or white, would certainly scratch it. Scratch removers can be used on the white, I'm not sure about black personally.

The black IS matte, however it is NOT rubber-matte like IBM ThinkPads. The black is a sort of high quality black plastic, feels good to touch. While the black is seemingly more scratch resistant, grease and fingerprints show up nicely in overhead lighting. Some people say the Black can look better because of the way it accentuates the apple logo, and hides the iSight and other holes.

Some say the White is better because its cheaper and more symbolic of apple's unique style.

The black and white are just about equal to each other not that the white's discoloration problem has been resolved. The black, however, can get a "Worn" looking trackpad.
mines black and the black MacBooks have a blunt surface (not shiny) so if you don't want scratches chose black
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
It seems that each color has its own issues. The black MacBook shows fingerprients, and the exterior of the white MacBook is going to scratch a bit easier (like the iBooks). It depends on which would bother you more.

I prefer the look of the white MacBooks, myself. My wife (who really wants a MacBook) looked at the black one and said, "It looks like a PC. It doesn't look like an Apple, except for the logo on the lid. And it's really not worth $150 more."
that $150 is for the 80GB HD insted of a 60GB HD
Signature depreciated.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 06:18 PM

The black Macbook has a bigger peen. It's true I've seen it.

IntelMac101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 08:56 PM

I have gone with the white after haveing my white ibook for a year and it still ooks ok but at the end of the day thing like sony and toshiba with there smooth finishes rather than the more rugged dell or ibm top the apple scratches far less and is higher quality plastic so if you really care what colour it is thats just sad black hides things better but make the apple on the back look so out of place where as the white just makes the i sight look like a catch rather than magnetic.
ANd if you are so worries about getting your notebook dammaged buy a Pannasonic thoughbook there pretty much unbreakable but look stupid while i carry my laptop in my brief case you carry your laptop trying to call it a second brief case its that big.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
that $150 is for the 80GB HD insted of a 60GB HD
Umm...the Black MacBook is $200 more than the White, and an upgrade to the 80GB HDD is $50 at the online store, so it's $150 for the Black.

Forum Links
Forum Rules