Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my macbook rant..

my macbook rant..
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 05:18 PM

just need to get this out...

have been a macuser for about 13 years, since the 6100/60 (!); owned a 2400c (an AMAZING powerbook), a couple of pismos, and 2 12" powerbooks. was disappointed when apple moved to intel processors, and abandoned the 12".

now we have a new line: 13", 15", (17" coming). i don't understand why they all aren't 'pros', ie different processor speeds, storage space, etc... but acknowledging their shared qualities. sure, the 13" could 'lose' the card slot, but firewire??

basically, what i'm on about is this: i want a small, light, pro laptop. i need firewire. (and, really, i'd at least prefer the option of a matte screen).

i like the new macbook, but no firewire is the killer. so apple is telling me if i want a new-gen macbook, i have to get the 15"...which defeats the "small & light" preference.

i have a chance to buy my friend's 15" macbook pro (last gen, matte screen) and will probably do that; this way i am not giving any $ to apple. choices have disappeared, and apple, who introduced us to firewire, has now literally pulled the plug.

end rant, thanx for reading
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2008, 05:25 PM

I absolutely understand your points (and I agree with them), but at the same time, there's not a lot that can be done about it.

Apple pioneered the 3 1/2" floppy, and then was the first to kill it. Maybe if you do buy your friend's computer (which sounds like a great machine), things will have moved further away from Firewire by the time you need to upgrade again, and the need for it wont be as great?

I agree about the matte screens, but I've given up on that battle.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 11:03 PM

If you want small and light with Firewire, you'll have to look beyond Apple.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If you want small and light with Firewire, you'll have to look beyond Apple.
too bad i prefer os x...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2008, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
Apple pioneered the 3 1/2" floppy, and then was the first to kill it. Maybe if you do buy your friend's computer (which sounds like a great machine), things will have moved further away from Firewire by the time you need to upgrade again, and the need for it wont be as great?
You guys are really starting to bother me with this analogy. Firewire being removed from the MacBook is completely different from the 1.44MB floppy being removed from the original iMac. Additionally, while external USB floppy drives could replace the lack of an internal drive, there's no way to replace the missing Firewire port. Firewire is a completely different serial interface from USB, and there are many consumer and professional products that rely on it. On the consumer side, there are many people who use Firewire hard drives. Now granted, a lot of those drives also are USB capable, but many of us prefer to run them using Firewire; many of us don't think USB should be used for high data throughput devices. There are also many potential MacBook consumers who own miniDV camcorders, which absolutely cannot be run through USB. Then there's Target Disk Mode, which USB will never replicate. Apple used to promote even low-end Macs as non-linear video editors using miniDV and Firewire, but for the first time in 8 years one of their lines don't have Firewire. Apple should not be rewarded or apologized for over this terrible, anti-consumer choice.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 19, 2008 at 02:14 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 12:16 AM

I wouldn't mind it as much if they dropped AluMacBook pricing by a few hundred $. Specs-wise, the new MacBooks are really overpriced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules