Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When Do YOU think we'll see the new iBook?

When Do YOU think we'll see the new iBook?
im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 07:52 PM

Well it's hard to believe it has been nearly 2 years since the original snow iBook was introduced. Wasn't it also announced during the 2001 WWDC show?

iBook rumors have been quiet lately, but the little machine is still trudging along...

Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr (6 month)
May (7 month - 2 year anniversary)
Jun (8 month - WWDC show)

I think those iBook rumors are about to heat up again as we come into April, but will we see a new revision to this lineup or is it still too early?

My money is on June. My rationalization is as follows:

1) 2 year anniversary of the snow white iBook.

2) "The Year of the Notebook!" The Powerbook recived an overhaul (with the 15' to arrive soon) it only makes sense that the iBook should recieve the same treatment. The new iBook has to be cool enough to push notebook sales past desktop sales. Steve Jobs said himself that notebook sales would overtake desktop sales this year.

3) Apple likes to announce new hardare at their big shows, expecially when it's more than just your standard revision.

WWDC is going to be an exciting show. Panther, new iBooks and finally a demonstration of the 970 chip. We have a lot to look forward to this summer

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2003, 08:22 PM

Well a better question would be, what could they improve on the iBook that wouldn't make it compete with the PowerBooks? I mean that is the problem isn�t it to keep the hardware in each line distinctly different or geared towards different users but at the same time the new version has to be a �worth while upgrade�. And I don't see that happening until the 12inch powerbook getting an upgrade.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
Well a better question would be, what could they improve on the iBook that wouldn't make it compete with the PowerBooks? I mean that is the problem isn�t it to keep the hardware in each line distinctly different or geared towards different users but at the same time the new version has to be a �worth while upgrade�. And I don't see that happening until the 12inch powerbook getting an upgrade.

I couldn't agree more with you, which is why I created this topic:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=150486

In this thread, I'm curious to know when people think we'll be seeing the new iBook. Your thoughts are welcome in the other thread though, just follow the link.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2003, 03:13 AM

Maybe we won't...

Perhaps we'll just coast along on the "old" iBooks for a while, until the 12" comes down in price. Hey, afterall, everybody's been wanting a G4 iBook with video mirroring!

Just thought I'd throw out a (most likely not happening) idea.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 05:37 AM

I though we'd see a remake at WWDC but now that its been moved back I think that the iBook won't be the item featured at that event.
Panther and a new processor will be announced (for the servers) and speed bumps for the iBook and prob one other item in the lineup. I think we'll see a 1GHz iBook in the same white case and 32 Mb video across the board. Nothing more.

Pushing back WWDC means Apple isn't going after the education market with a new iBook design.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2003, 04:50 PM

I'll go with summer sometime. Although now that it's not MacWorld and it's the WWDC that does lower the chances some.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by ccsccs7:
Perhaps we'll just coast along on the "old" iBooks for a while, until the 12" comes down in price. Hey, afterall, everybody's been wanting a G4 iBook with video mirroring!
ccsccs7 hits an interesting point. in upgrading the iBook, Apple has two basic options: (a) bump G3 processor speed, (b) shoehorn last year's PowerBook technology into the iBook. Remember, in May 2001, the "new" iBook (Dual USB) was nothing more than an old Pismo PowerBook with a smaller screen in a new case. I think it's more likely that Apple will introduce slightly higher clocking G3 iBooks in the same old white case in late April or early May, which is fine with me. Later this year, I see a good chance that Apple will take the 12-inch PowerBook's internals and graft them into the white iBook case. But even if that happens, I doubt that Apple will enable monitor spanning in the iBook line. Monitor spanning is a Pro feature.

For me, my iBook/500 still does all I need it to do. I'm waiting for Rev.B of the 12-inch PowerBook, which will hopefully break the Ghz barrier, allow 1GB+ of RAM, and provide DVI-out.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 30, 2003, 03:12 PM

I am saying late-April to early-May.

My reasoning:

1) The iBook isnt ready for a G4, not with the $3000+ PowerBooks topping out at 1GHz. Apple certainly is not going to stick a G4 that has the same clock speed as the 800MHz G3 in the iBook, it would look bad. The only reason Apple got away with it in the Pismo-to-TiG4 update was because the other features that the Ti brought to the table REALLY set it appart from the Pismo [And even then, people still complained about the lack of a clock speed jump]. Apple knows that if they go with a G4 in the iBook soon, they will be serverly limited by way of a clock speed increase because then the iBook would cannibalize the PowerBook sales (I also dont expect anything better than 1.2GHz or so in the next PowerBook update, which still doesnt leave a lot of room for the iBooks to go with G4s).

2) Because of the above, I believe the next iBook round up will be an evolutionary release. Apple will save any new design for when the iBook is ready for the G4 (Or should I say 'when the G4 is ready for the iBook' ). I expect a jump to a 1GHz G3, considering that every other Mac has gone directly to 1GHz after reaching 800MHz (PowerMac, PowerBook, iMac...).

3) November 2002 - June 2003 is approximately 8 months. That is too long of a wait, especially in "The Year Of The Notebook". It is also too long considering that the iBook is what is bringing in most of the switchers from the PC side.

Yepp...
( Last edited by Lateralus; Mar 30, 2003 at 03:17 PM. )

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2003, 10:13 PM

I may be on my own here, but I really think the iBook will not be changed this year, apart from maybe a price drop ?

The 12" Powerbook has basically been slotted in and not left much in the way of breathing room for the iBook. In saying that, maybe an "extreme" version will be released to take advantage of the new Airport ?

But all other features if they were upgraded would put them too close to the Powerbook 12"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2003, 03:35 AM

eBook
Something apple only has two laptop lines. Apple could unvail an eBook in either the current iBook case with a 12 inch screen or a more retro clam shell rugged design and drop the price point to around 900 with a drop in the eMac price point. Then market the iBook as more of a either 13 inch or 14 inch bigger notebook with a 1Ghz G3 processor. This is the only thing I can see apple doing to keep the iBooks from being the same power and features as the 12 inch PB. They keep the eBook as a battery king with a low power processor and all that, and market the new iBook with a bigger screen and more features for the pro sumer... hopefully with at least a hackable firmware for monitor spannin

Then again if I get a high res 14 inch screen I'd have no problems.

One things' certain... the 12 inch PB needs to come down in price, and the iBook will probably come up a bit. Hence they'll most likely have a 1Ghz iBook and 1Ghz 12 inch PB and you can either choose between big screen or better processor.

Something like that... I'm probably wrong but whatever heh.

I'm just hoping that the iBooks get better... I'm really not sure if I'll be able to afford a 12 inch PB for college and would at least like the iBook to be really show off able... but if they drop it to more in the 14 inch iBook's price range it'd be a lot easier for students to buy.

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2003, 02:16 PM

This guy seems to know that they are coming out tomorrow. High end G3 900 processors, 64 mb 7500 video card. Low end G3 800 with 32 mb 7500 video card. Also, 256 mb of ram on board, instead of the 128 now.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
<snip>

The Powerbook recived an overhaul (with the 15' to arrive soon)

<snip>

Noah
15'? a fifteen foot notebook screen....

(yes, I know it's a typo, but it's funny!)

Putta
Mar 31, 2003, 05:02 PM

I might have the wrong idea (so don't get pissed off with me), but wouldn't the WWDC be the wrong place to launch or even announce a new iBook? Even if it is a modest upgrade or a price drop, it will detract from Panther and won't most people at WWDC be using something more than an iBook?

Apple UK had an education deal on the 14 iBook which runs out today.... May mean something maybe not.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2003, 09:27 PM

Yeah but the guy in that SpyMac forum said a new 14.5 screen. Unless it's a widescreen, why? I just throws into question his whole post when the rest of what he had to say seemed so reasonable and plausible.

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Camera God:
This guy seems to know that they are coming out tomorrow. High end G3 900 processors, 64 mb 7500 video card. Low end G3 800 with 32 mb 7500 video card. Also, 256 mb of ram on board, instead of the 128 now.
I doubt we'll see the iBook with the above specs. We've had no new "official" iBook news to speak of apart from this one guy who claims to have used one? And lets not rule out Kodawarisan, there rumors have proved to be invaluable over the last few months

- BTO choice of six colours?
- Backlit keyboard?
- 1 Ghz G3? (12' PB still has a 867Mhz G4 processor)
- 64MB 7500 video card? (12' PB still has a 32MB video card)
- 256MB on board RAM? (ummm again, the 12' PB doesn't even have this?)
-14.5' screen? (definitely not!)
- April 1st?

Overall we don't have a very clear picture here. While it's possible we'll see something released tomorrow - I wouldn't give your hopes up...

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Mar 31, 2003 at 11:02 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
I doubt we'll see the iBook with the above specs. We've had no new "official" iBook news to speak of apart from this one guy who claims to have used one? And lets not rule out Kodawarisan, there rumors have proved to be invaluable over the last few months :

Overall we don't have a very clear picture here. While it's possible we'll see something released tomorrow - I wouldn't give your hopes up...

Noah
Aren't you the genius who said there was a 100% guarantee there be a 13" iBook?
When did facts and actual probability begin to cloud your judgment?

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 12:25 AM

Doesn't it strike anyone that this is odd because tommorrow is April Fool's Day. This could be a joke, or maybe Apple will release new iBook's tommorrow because most people will not belive the rumors because of it's April Fools Day. I guess we'll have to wait and see (good things come to those who wait, just ask any 17" PowerBook owner).
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 1, 2003, 01:21 AM

This guy...
If he is right, and we see:

900MHz
64MB Radeon
40GB HD
12.1"
-----
$1199

...I will buy.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2003, 03:39 AM

Related news from Sweden!

www.macoteket.se in Sweden are selling out their Ibooks with a $200 (ca) discount!
Might be a sign that a new model is close at hand...
DI

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Langdon:

When did facts and actual probability begin to cloud your judgment?

13" iBook seems more and more likly every day, iMacs went from 15" to 17"... seems logical.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
13" iBook seems more and more likly every day, iMacs went from 15" to 17"... seems logical.
You do understand that you are using a faulty logic by making that comparison?

They did not replace the 15" iMac with a 17". They added a 17" to the lineup EXACTLY the same way they added a 14" model to the iBook line. Reexamine what you posted and my clarification is far more accurate.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2003, 09:10 AM

I have no idea when the new iBooks come out. I could admittedly imagine that they have features and specs higher than the 12" Powerbook, just because Apple hopefully wants them to be attractive for switchers. A 1 GHz iBook would be much better to advertise than a 933 MHz one or so.

I hope for this high-end config:

1 GHz G3
256 MB RAM soldered (thus expandable to 768 MB)
40 GB HD
12" Screen/14" Screen
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive
Airport Extreme ready
Bluetooth (but I very doubt this one...)

Apple can update the 12" Powerbook in June, so the advantages of this iBooks wouldn't last too long.

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2003, 10:22 AM

hmm, well it is well past 9 ET , nadaaaa

bfyost
Apr 1, 2003, 10:40 AM

One strange thing, if you add a new iBook to your cart at the Apple Store online the Apple Instant Loan graphic says "iBook from $1,199" what does this mean? Shouldnt it say from $999? Didnt they make this mistake before a while ago right before new modles came out?

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 11:49 AM

Hmmm...very interesting. The $1199 Apple loan image is still up on the Apple Store web site. Maybe a sign of things to come...
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 12:09 PM

Langdon, I never said there was a 100% chance of seeing a 13' screen. Read my post more carefully before you critisize. I said their was a 95% chance. If you have further oppinions on this than by all means post your comments in that thread.

If they're raising the price to $1199 from $999, a $200 price increase, I don't know about you, but I'd expect something much better than what we have now. Does this new "price" jusify just a standard revision? - or will we see something more?...

We'll know by 9pm western time, isn't that the time when Apple usually updates their site?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 12:15 PM

I think someone has the right to critisize and be skeptical when someone claims they have "insider" information, never of which have I claimed on myself.

There's no harm in speculating, it can make people see things from new angles and encourages discussion. I see nothing wrong with this.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 1, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
Yeah but the guy in that SpyMac forum said a new 14.5 screen. Unless it's a widescreen, why? I just throws into question his whole post when the rest of what he had to say seemed so reasonable and plausible.
He also noted that it's an April fools joke...
"-Dodge This"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 3, 2003, 05:36 PM

God I hate April fools...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2003, 09:23 AM

How about bringing back colour options.

Colours have been missing BIG TIME from the imac and ibook range since the old gumdrop and clamshell.

I love my indigo ibook, and would like to think that the next time i purchase an ibook (around 2 years i guess, given that i bought an fp imac 11 months ago), i could purchase an indigo, ruby or whatever coloured ibook.

Snow/ice is great, but come on apple, the colours rocked hard (well not all of them, but most of them, including indigo, graphite, ruby, sage and blueberry).
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 08:25 PM

I posted this in some other spec thread last year, but here goes:
  • 867 mhz / 1 Ghz G3
  • 133 mhz system bus
  • 256MB soldered onboard memory: 1 open slot
  • 32MB video memory (I'm not too savvy regarding brands)
  • 30, 40GB HD sizes with a 60GB option
  • Airport Extreme
  • Maybe Bluetooth
  • No form factor change
  • Prices drop $100
  • May 20, 2003

I think this will be the last update with this form factor. Once the 970 becomes dispersed to the pro lines, the iBook'll get the G4, form factor change, etc. When that happens, I'd love to see a wide aspect 13" screen with the 1152x768 resolution that the TiBook 400/500/550/667(VGA) had.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Chimpmaster:
How about bringing back colour options.

Colours have been missing BIG TIME from the imac and ibook range since the old gumdrop and clamshell.

I love my indigo ibook, and would like to think that the next time i purchase an ibook (around 2 years i guess, given that i bought an fp imac 11 months ago), i could purchase an indigo, ruby or whatever coloured ibook.

Snow/ice is great, but come on apple, the colours rocked hard (well not all of them, but most of them, including indigo, graphite, ruby, sage and blueberry).
Actually i agree.

Apple's designs have swung from being outrageous flaboyant, gaudy, candy coloured to very professional, restrained and metallic.

What Apple needs is to maintain a balance...keep the professional metallic look for the Pro (Power*) lines while keeping the low end cheap, cheerful and colourful (the i* lines).

It wouldn't surprise me that this year we shall see the iBooks updated with either a new form factor or the additions of colours.
My bet is that Apple will choose snow/colours for the new iBooks, partly to not conflict so much with the PowerBooks. i.e cause confusion among consumers: PowerBook 12" or iBook. This is a very reason the iBook will not go G4 anytime soon.

I also guess that they will use IBM's faster G3s scaling up and beyond 1GHz.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 04:31 AM

Thinksecret said two weeks

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by rmendis:

What Apple needs is to maintain a balance...keep the professional metallic look for the Pro (Power*) lines while keeping the low end cheap, cheerful and colourful (the i* lines).
You mean fruity.
No thanks. Keeping it simple and clean will appeal to more people. The clamshell iBooks were not exactly popular in business environments outside of maybe graphic design. The graphite clamshell was put out for that very reason.
2 weeks sounds possible but we'll see.

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
You mean fruity.
Well, in some parts of the world namely across the Atlantic, 'fruity' often refers to 'gay'. Though i have no problems with this (as i am gay), however i'm sure it would offend some to call them candy coloured iBooks gay

No thanks. Keeping it simple and clean will appeal to more people. The clamshell iBooks were not exactly popular in business environments outside of maybe graphic design. The graphite clamshell was put out for that very reason.
I owned an original graphite iBook SE (the one with transparent plastics and the subtle bluish graphite - IMHO the nicest 'fruity' iBook Apple designed :-)

However, one reason for reintroducing colours back into the iBook line is to not confuse pro users. See the article on ThinkSecret:
http://thinksecret.com/news/aprilibooks.html

The colours don't have to be as outrageous as the originals, more subtle: Sage, Ruby and BlueBerry were nice solid colours. They can perhaps colour the Apple logo on the iBook and maybe the keyboard or something while keeping the rest of the plastics in snow (no grey).

The 14" models can be graphite (and metallic)?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by rmendis:

However, one reason for reintroducing colours back into the iBook line is to not confuse pro users. <snip>
The colours don't have to be as outrageous as the originals, more subtle: Sage, Ruby and BlueBerry were nice solid colours. They can perhaps colour the Apple logo on the iBook and maybe the keyboard or something while keeping the rest of the plastics in snow (no grey).

The 14" models can be graphite (and metallic)?
So because some people are too dumb to recognize the difference the rest of the consumer market should be forced to carry around red laptops? A Jetta and a lower end BMW look quite similar but they don't stop making the VW in black because it might confuse people.
The vast majority of people who would use an iBook would use it in an environment where bright colored objects are not entirely appropriate. I sure as hell wouldn't take a clamshell iBook into a meeting or lecture, it looks far too unprofessional. People who want color can buy one of those iSkins or whatever they are called.
Also I don't see precedent for adding color back into the line. Apple and everyone else had steered away from color and gone for more elegant designs. The color was brought in (IMHO) to make the iMac look more friendly and inviting to people who were intimidated by computers and the growing internet trend. Now that we are in a far more computer saturated market the best choice in design is to appeal to the mass market not the remaining 15% who have never used a computer.

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
I sure as hell wouldn't take a clamshell iBook into a meeting or lecture, it looks far too unprofessional
The idea is to encourage professional people like you (and me) to go and go and buy a 12" PowerBook G4 instead.

As a matter of fact, i could have easily afforded a PowerBook when at the time i purchased my trusty old iBook cos it was much better value for money and of course IMHO much nicer design than the aging black PowerBook which i had used in the past. In fact from what i recall, my iBook was faster and lighter than my PowerBook.

This is what Apple is probably trying to avoid...letting its pro users who could easily afford a 12" PowerBook G4 going with a 12" or 14" iBook instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules