Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple to buy Universal Music!

Apple to buy Universal Music!
im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 08:41 AM

The Los Angeles Times is reporting this morning that Apple Computer Inc. is in talks with Vivendi Universal to buy the world's largest music label, Universal Music Group. The reported price for the company could be as much as US$6 billion.

While Apple and Vivendi Universal declined to comment, LA Times sources said Apple might make a bid for the company before Universal Music's April 29 board meeting.

"Defying conventional wisdom, Jobs apparently is betting that music is finally on the verge of becoming a profitable presence on the Internet," wrote the Times. "Apple has been quietly testing a service that some music business insiders believe could pave the way for widespread online distribution of songs.

People that have used Apple's much anticipated music service said it makes "downloading and purchasing music as simple and nontechnical as buying a book from Amazon.com." However, analysts say making the download and purchase easy is just the beginning, Apple would also have to make the music cheap for consumers, possibly as little as 10 cents per song.

Quoting people close to Jobs, the article says that he feels the music industry is about to turn a corner in the copyright war. The continued crackdown on pirates will force users to look for a legitimate source for music downloads.

While the service will be targeted to Mac users, the Times anticipates a version of the service for Microsoft Windows users, as well.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/04/11/music/

All I have to say is WOW! How much money does Apple have in the bank again?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

foobars
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 08:59 AM

4 billion. How are they planning to pay for this?

I really doubt Jobs is stupid enough to bet the entire company on technology nobody wants or has been able to secure.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2003, 09:40 AM

4.5 billion. THere's a diffrence!

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by foobars:
4 billion. How are they planning to pay for this?

I really doubt Jobs is stupid enough to bet the entire company on technology nobody wants or has been able to secure.

Right on, who wants music anyway? Buy a canary. Not only will it sing for you it'll also detect harmful gases.

Everyone wants music, nobody wants the hassle or the cost of CDs.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 09:48 AM

So all Apple needs to come up with is 1.5 Billion

And to think this could spell the end of the Macintosh, if played out wrong...

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2003, 10:02 AM

I doubt this will go through....

foobars
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Everyone wants music, nobody wants the hassle or the cost of CDs.
More like everyone wants music, nobody wants to pay for it.

Why spend 6B just to get ripped off?

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
The Los Angeles Times is reporting this morning that Apple Computer Inc. is in talks with Vivendi Universal to buy the world's largest music label, Universal Music Group. The reported price for the company could be as much as US$6 billion.
This is not logical for Apple (see my next comment below)

"Defying conventional wisdom, Jobs apparently is betting that music is finally on the verge of becoming a profitable presence on the Internet," wrote the Times. "Apple has been quietly testing a service that some music business insiders believe could pave the way for widespread online distribution of songs.
I guess Apple would have been testing this service secretly with several different music companies (not just with Universal). Now if Apple going to sign and buy Universal, that could mean Apple would alienate the other four of "The big five" worldwide music company. The last thing you want with Apple's music download service is you can choose Universal artists for 50 cents per song, but you cannot get Michael Jackson or Christina Aguilera at all!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2003, 12:47 PM

I sure hope Apple wouldn't be this stupid. This is probably just another of those far-fetched rumors.

Actually, in its way, this is an improvement compared to before - used to be, the rumors were always saying "XYZ company is going to buy Apple." Now, it's "Apple is going to buy XYZ company."

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 01:42 PM

I think this is far from stupid quite the opposite actually. By going more into oterh non-computer devices and ventures Apple could solidify it's future. A main feature of macs is centered around music. The music industry is about to go Hilter on us. Apple does not need 6 billion is cash, they'd use stock options.

I hope this is true, this would be a new revolution of sorts. A new way of playing/listening and buying music.

Apple=Sony ll
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 03:53 PM

I guess Apple would have been testing this service secretly with several different music companies (not just with Universal). Now if Apple going to sign and buy Universal, that could mean Apple would alienate the other four of "The big five" worldwide music company. The last thing you want with Apple's music download service is you can choose Universal artists for 50 cents per song, but you cannot get Michael Jackson or Christina Aguilera at all!
Wrong paradigm. Music isn't the computer industry. Does Sam Goody refuse to carry music from multiple Distributors? Apple would champion this as open to all who agree. I don't see a problem with it at all. It's not a competition..it's about selling music and compensating the artists and Distributors.

pliny
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 04:02 PM

I hope Apple does do this and that they make the buying and listening of music on computers easy for everyone. There is alot of talk about why people would buy music through a service if they can just pirate it. I think the point is to expand the market beyond pirating to everyone who has an interest in listening to music and clicking once or twice to buy it at a fair price. Pirated stuff has its "market" so to speak but the market for legal software and other wares is much huger. If Apple can make it easy for your waiter's mom and aunt to buy a song online and listen to it as easy as buying a book on Amazon, then they are going to make money off it. The average user does not pirate so much as the more experienced user and I think if this story is accurate then Apple is targeting the more average user.
i look in your general direction

chrstopher
Apr 13, 2003, 07:17 PM

Looking at the wider implications of this move by Apple it could mean that on every Universal Cd may be the legend Universal a Apple company, all i can say is wow what a devious way to win hearts and minds... and also this story would be reported by the mainstream media not just the mac mags just think about that penetration. Awesome,, if it is true.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:

The last thing you want with Apple's music download service is you can choose Universal artists for 50 cents per song, but you cannot get Michael Jackson or Christina Aguilera at all!
so basically, you can buy a fifty cent song for fifty cents! woohoo!

but no beat it

i think that apple would be better off buying apple records, just because it would sound cool and noone would have to change company names!
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 10:55 PM

1.) You don't pay 100% cash for another company.

2.) This isn't going to happen anyway:

Apple Said to Discuss a Music Deal, but Not Too Seriously

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2003, 12:09 AM

Oh well, looks like all 5 major music labels have signed on That was the most important part of all of this. So I doubt Apple would go to the extreme measures of aquiring Universal.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules