Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How big of an external drive do I need?

How big of an external drive do I need?
MacB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 09:38 PM

I am going to film a documentary soon and I know my 80 gig HD in my powerbook is not going to do it, so I am wondering what size should I get in an external drive? Is 120 gig enough or will it be lacking?

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 10:06 PM

obviously, the biggest you can afford, the better. how long is the film going to be? how much shooting to you plan on doing?

macx0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 10:06 PM

I'm not a video expert by any means, but how long is your documentary going to be?
1 hour of DV is about 13gigs I believe? So I would go from there, depending on how much footage you're planning on shooting.

Either way, the more storage the better - imho, you can't ever have enough.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 4, 2004, 08:24 AM

I bought a 160GB external drive-7200rpm, Firwire 400.
If I should need more space I�d buy another one and just build a stack.
With two external drives you can put the raw footage on one drive and save finished projects onto the other one.
Or you buy a monster drive and partition it so you have different virtual drives.
BTW: which camera do you use?
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Forum Links
Forum Rules