Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 screen black and smoke problems!

iBook G3 screen black and smoke problems!
djn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2004, 04:24 PM

Hi all,

I was working on my G3 iBook 600 a while back when smoke (!) started seeping out of the case, near where the power supply plugs in. The screen of course went black and now it won't power on anymore. Just plugging in the power supply causes it to smoke (I only left it plugged in for a few seconds) as well.

Possibly related -- for a few weeks beforehand, when starting to close the lid, the screen would go black much earlier than normal. For instance, just adjusting the screen a little bit towards me would cause it to go black. But, if you looked really closely, you could see icons and whatever else you were working on, really faintly.

So, I *carefully* opened up the case, and found the culprit--a badly singed and melted wire, which I assume goes to the screen. See the picture below (it's the cable with the wrapped clear insulation around it. It's melted, close to the hinge).

http://www.nowacki.org/ibook_melting_cable.jpg

So, what is this cable? Is it fixable? Do I have much bigger problems on my hands? Should I just cut my losses and part this machine out? Any suggestions warmly welcomed.

Cheers,

Dan
( Last edited by tooki; Jul 19, 2004 at 01:34 AM. )

Link
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 04:43 PM

ouch! Well that looks like the video/power cable heading up to the monitor to me..

It probably can be replaced with yet another video cable but I have no idea how easy the operation would be to do.
Aloha

rozwado1
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 06:36 PM

Contact the guys over at PB Parts. Get a price on the cable and they may have some input on your situation.

I have a PDF on how to disassemble a 500/600 iBook and I've done it in the past - not too hard, just tedious.

EDIT: Ouch - $130!!! Look here.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:52 PM

The famous iBook/Video/Hinge problem :

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ighlight=mark2

djn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 10:32 PM

It's been quite a while, but after much postponing, I fixed the problem. As posted in the previous reply, it was the famous iBook video hinge problem. I talked to good ol' Jon at Small Dog and got my replacement reed switch and cable for $20 plus $7 shipping.

Taking apart the iBook was not bad--you just need to be careful and patient. Hint: tape the screws you take out right next to the holes they come from.

A wire was completely exposed on the cable and that was what was presumably causing the smoke.

I think the part number recently changed, the current one at Small Dog is 076-1073.

Bottom line: smoke coming out of your computer is never a good thing. But, at least in my case, it wasn't all that bad, either! Now I have my beloved Mac back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules