Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dual arm iMac G5? Best bet so far...

Dual arm iMac G5? Best bet so far...
im_noahselby
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 06:44 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...30145701.shtml

From MacRumors:
A patent filed by Apple Computer on August 24, 2004, for an "ornamental design for a display device with a moveable assembly" might shed some light on the design of the new iMac G5. Attached to the patent filing are artist renderings of a dual connection arm similar to the original iMac G4, but doubling the swingarms. Additionally, the base of the machine is a pyramidal shape, in contrast to the dome base of the most recent iMac G4.

What does everyone think?
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Aug 30, 2004 at 06:50 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2004, 06:54 PM

The pyramid base would give the machine the added room it needs for ventilation of the G5 chip. The two-part swivel arm assembly seems pretty pointless to me unless it allows for the monitor to be easily switched. If this is compromise between the "all in one" design and the "headless" form factor that some have been calling for then I'd say Apple has a winner on its hands. Especially, if they could easily use the existing Apple displays by removing the stand from the back and somehow plugging it into the top portion of the iMac's swing arm.

OAW

im_noahselby  (op)
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 07:08 PM

Just by looking at the sketch I already see an important benefit:

Ever accidentaly ejected your CD drive while your iMac's screen was down. As you can see in the pictures, the two arms would extend the screen far enough from the cd tray for this to never be a problem.
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Zoom
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 07:55 PM

Good God, I hope this isn't the best they can do. Personally, I'm guessing this is just a smoke screen. This is probably an alternate G4 iMac design that they're submitting now just to throw everyone off. If that's the best they can come up with, I'll be shocked.

I don't think this design could allow for a headless option - the wiring is all inside that neck. How would you hook up a different monitor?

My guess is that this is just a diversion.

Either way, we don't have long till we find out. Man, I'm ready, too.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
Good God, I hope this isn't the best they can do. Personally, I'm guessing this is just a smoke screen. This is probably an alternate G4 iMac design that they're submitting now just to throw everyone off. If that's the best they can come up with, I'll be shocked.
i sincerely hope too. Thats shockingly ugly.

babywriter2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 08:20 PM

What I like about the double-arm design is that it MIGHT allow Apple to create a portrait/landscape monitor - that is, you rotate it one way, and the display is "normal" - but if you rotate it the other way, it's a portrait display. I can't think it would be hard for Apple to write a driver hat would switch orientations on the fly...just rotate and the image switches.

These used to be common in desktop publishing shops, but you don't see them any more. Frankly, websurfing on a portrait display would rock - think of how much of the page you could see at one time - and what about iTunes? You could see much more of your music library at one time.

This may be trivial to some, but to the average user, I think this could be really useful - if implemented well, in a transparent, user-friendly way.

- b

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by babywriter2:
What I like about the double-arm design is that it MIGHT allow Apple to create a portrait/landscape monitor - that is, you rotate it one way, and the display is "normal" - but if you rotate it the other way, it's a portrait display. I can't think it would be hard for Apple to write a driver hat would switch orientations on the fly...just rotate and the image switches.
- b
Acer's tablet pcs have this function, so I bet apple can do it easy!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by storer:
i sincerely hope too. Thats shockingly ugly.
My thoughts as well! Gah, that's a stinker!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

RonnieoftheRose
Aug 30, 2004, 09:08 PM

Is that a pen holder in the screen?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 10:00 PM

It could actually be reasonably feasible if instead of using 2 arms like that, they used a slightly longer arm that has a swivel EXACTLY in the center of it. It'd be functional AND look cool
Aloha

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2004, 10:30 PM

No way. They need to shake things up as the current design hasn't done well enough. A dual arm and pyramid base may do even worse, but certainly not any better.

This is going to be a significant form factor change.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 10:32 PM

I actually like it, and kind of hope it is, especially if it allows easy rotation of the screen from landscape to portrait.

Can't wait, need a new one!

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
No way. They need to shake things up as the current design hasn't done well enough. A dual arm and pyramid base may do even worse, but certainly not any better.

This is going to be a significant form factor change.
certainly, because why build up so much hype over nothing?

sideus
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 10:45 PM

Ick.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 11:14 PM

I wonder if somewhere out on the interweb there's a Dell forum full of fanboys that go crazy over Dell's patents and future product designs... Maybe in bizarro-world.

I think it's ridiculous how everybody goes crazy over these designs, when in the end "if you need an iMac, you'll buy an iMac."

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
I wonder if somewhere out on the interweb there's a Dell forum full of fanboys that go crazy over Dell's patents and future product designs... Maybe in bizarro-world.

I think it's ridiculous how everybody goes crazy over these designs, when in the end "if you need an iMac, you'll buy an iMac."
Maybe because all of Dell's computers look the same? Not to mention they also look the same as most other PCs. I know it's hip to be cynical, but come on, use some thought...

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 02:22 PM

hindsight .... is 20/20 .. glad it wasnt a pyramid dual swingarm .. hehe .. i miss the dome lamp though ..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules