Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LaCie USB burner and TiBook? Not working... :(

LaCie USB burner and TiBook? Not working... :(
Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 01:33 PM

It just doesn't work... I don't know what to do.
I just got my CD burner. Ok, I bought one of the cheapest ones but still, it should *#?$@ work shouldn't it!?

This is what I did.
Ok, USB, plug and play. Wires connected. It reads any CD, no problem. I'm happy. Step two, installed the bundled Toast 4.1.1. Restart. Toast doesn't initialize the burner. "No CD-recorder, please check cables and power." Yeah, as if that ever was the problem in the history.
Ok, updated to Toast 4.1.3, same problem.
Uninstalled Toast. Installed Disc Burner (which was practically impossible to find, as if Apple don't want users to use it anymore?)
It seemed to work really fine, until in the end it said something was wrong with the target "error -6971". Checking the disc just to realize the burning lazer hasn't touched it.

Is there any burning app out there that everybody is using and just laughing at me "hah, he's using old Toast 4.1.3 what'd he expect" or something. I'd really like to know. Otherwise I'll just have to return it, and I hate to do that.

Palegolas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 03:13 PM

After some serious searching I found that Apple recommends users to remove the two USB- and FireWire-authoring extensions (diskburner related). They must have been there from start. Now it works fine. (usb-slow though

Castor
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 05:57 PM

In my experience Toast Titanium 5.01 (meaning NOT 5.0) works much better than v 4.x when using Disc Burner with iTunes as well. This version know how to deal with the Apple extensions and stuff, works like a charm for me. Just make sure you start Toast before you insert an empty cd r.

HTH Regards,

Castor

Sup Foo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 06:47 PM

Hey Palegolas,

Thanks for the info. After disableing those iTunes USB- and FireWire- Authoring extensions, toast can now detect my CD burner.

Why did Apple throw in those iTunes extensions when it fuks up your burner? Wierd stuff.

--Sup Foo

P.S. Others please ignore my previous CD burner plea.

Palegolas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2001, 01:51 AM

Sup Foo, I'm glad I could help.
cool.

Castor
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 10:13 AM

Why did Apple throw in those iTunes extensions when it fuks up your burner? Wierd stuff.
I know that Apple makes some weird decisions sometimes, but I feel that I hav eto defend this one. Apple wanted to make cd burning intuitive. This was achieved by making disc-burner work at system level, that is why we can use a cd as if it was a removable disk.

The downside is however, that it interferes with existing burning methods, like Toats's. So, the old principle rears its head; Apple modifies system software, developers follow. Or in est case scenario: developers innovate! The latter happened when Toast got to v 5.01. It works fine with disc burner and the other way around! Great stuff! Hope they keep it up after the next disc burner update.

Regards,

Castor

Forum Links
Forum Rules