Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Losing network browsing

Losing network browsing
mrurmil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2006, 10:35 PM

Hi all,

I've noticed something strange about my powerbook. Every few days or so I lose functionality of being able to browse the network and viewing my windows shares. Everything will be alright and I will be able to view all the computers on my network. Then after some time when I go try to browse again, none of the workgroups show up anymore in the network. The only fix I have found for right now is taking out my CAT5 cable from the powerbook and plugging it back again. Once I do that I can see my workgroups and shares again. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Does anyone know what the deal with this is? It's pretty annoying...

Thanks.
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
256MB VRAM

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 26, 2006, 02:53 PM

I'd have to know a lot more about your setup. How are your computers connected to each other? Does your PowerBook get its IP through DHCP or is it fixed? Can you quantify how often this happens-and is it at all related to a DHCP lease timeout?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mrurmil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I'd have to know a lot more about your setup. How are your computers connected to each other? Does your PowerBook get its IP through DHCP or is it fixed? Can you quantify how often this happens-and is it at all related to a DHCP lease timeout?
All my systems are connected via hardwired CAT5 (including the powerbook) and get their IP/Gateway/DNS/etc from DHCP.

I don't think that it would be a lease timeout problem because I can still use the internet while I can't see the shares.
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D
320GB HDD
4GB RAM
256MB VRAM

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2006, 08:34 PM

Are all the shares on Windows machines? Have you recently installed a Windows update? The last XP update I got was on Feb 16... Sometimes these things have odd consequences, like changing access rights for various files and folders...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules