Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Lanuage kits & OS9

Lanuage kits & OS9
dklaproth
Oct 11, 1999, 07:01 PM

I read that Apple integrated the language kits (e.g.. Japanese) into Mac OS9. For those who know, is this true?

If so, will the JLK 1.2 be compatable or incompatable with OS9? Any updates to Language kits for OS9 that you know of?
Does it (OS9) support direct input method?

Apple's webpage on multilingual support is very vague.

I need direct input for Japanese letters and am having trouble with the JLK 1.2 on OS 8.6

Thanks for any responses.

strepidus
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 1999, 01:15 AM

It's true, Apple incorporated Language kits into OS 9. You can choose to install a custom language kit from the Mac OS Installer.

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 1999, 02:35 PM

All Language Kits are included in OS 9. !!!
You will find that the JLK has been updated (or Kotoeri at least) and has a slightly more polished interface. I don't know about other Language Kits. One of the fonts (Maru Gothic) from JLK 1.2 is not installed with OS 9, but you save a copy of the font, and reinstall it in the fonts folder. It'll work fine. Also in OS 9 is a very nice help file on Kotoeri (though it's all in Japanese so if you can't read it fluently...better get someone who can if you need help).

For the record, I never had problems with JLK 1.2 and OS 8.6. but some people's fonts didn't get updated when they installed 8.6. In OS 9 there's a font updated program for fonts that still have the old grey circular icons in the System Folder.

leif
Oct 15, 1999, 12:28 PM

Is the Cyrillic Language Kit included with OS9 ? I ask because it allthough many multilingual Kits where included with MacOS 8.5/6 the Cyrillic resources where not included. Perhaps anyone could mention exactly which Language Kits that is included ?

SezMe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 1999, 12:19 AM

Ok, here goes...

Arabic
Central European
Cyrillic (!)
Devanagari
Gujarati
Punjabi
Hebrew
Japanese
Korean
Simplified Chinese
Traditional Chinese

Anyone not happy?

rph
Oct 16, 1999, 04:39 PM

Notice one more thing: Sherlock plug-ins for Japanese internet searches (Korean and Chinese too, but not the other languages) are included. I think Altavista, Lycos, Yahoo and the big ones.

mingc
Oct 23, 1999, 05:50 PM

do we get the ability to edit in these languages or can we just view web pages?

dklaproth  (op)
Oct 23, 1999, 07:49 PM

Yes, you can edit in Japanese (which I'm using) or a variety of other languages.

Need Some Help
Dec 18, 1999, 02:12 AM

JUST GOT iMac with OS 9. So I don't need to load Japanese Lang Kit? What do I do? Does AOL present any interface problems? Any info anyone can give will be great. thx

leighgion
Dec 18, 1999, 05:00 PM

OK, here's my knowledge of Apple language kits, gleaned from years of pain wrestling with the Chinese Language Kit ever since version 1.0 when it came on a mountain of floppies.

OS9 has done a lot to improve the CLK and quite possibly the JLK as well overall but I've only dabbled with Japanese input since I well, don't speak that language.

1) Installation

OS9 does NOT install any language kits by default. You need to pick the custom option and select the language kits you want. If you did a default install or are one of the lucky ones who have bought a new machine pre-installed with OS9, you need to grab your CD and pick the language kits you want to install.

2) Editing the Language.

Heck yeah, that's the whole point!

3) Direct Input for Japanese in OS9

My experience is limited in this regard. I'm tempted to say 'yes' as when I tried out the JLK in OS9 it felt very much like a G3 running the native Japanese version of OS8.1 I messed around with a couple months ago but as I never used the JLK 1.2, I'm a bit murky on exactly what constituits direct input.

4) AOL

Search me, I don't use the thing but even though AOL sucks, I don't think it should interfere with language kits. Long as the AOL apps support Worldscript, all should be fine.

Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 1999, 08:16 AM

It appears the Mac JLK is using the S-JIS system. But if I for some reason need to use the JIS system (ie communicating with my gf's mobilephone), is it possible to just switch system? As for now I use this handy little app, JCONV-DD, that does the conversion for me. Search for "SJIS to JIS" in http://shareware.cnet.com to find it.

(pardon me for also posting this message outside this topic, my mistake)

kupakai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 1999, 01:30 PM

I have the Korean and Japanese LK installed on a computer and some people using the computer find it distracting that cmd-space switches the keyboard layout (photoshop and illustrator uses space-cmd for zoom). Is there a way to temporarily disable that or turn off some extensions?

Need Some Help
Dec 19, 1999, 06:18 PM

So my old copies of the JLK are no longer needed????? GREAT! All I do is use the disc' that came with the iMac and do the custom install thing?

How about on-line searchs. Do any support Japanese langauge?

thanx

uchujin
Dec 19, 1999, 09:09 PM

Using OS9 (US version) with Japanese you can do almost everything as with the old Language kit set up BUT I have found one problem. You can't set a Japanese font as an Apple menu font in the Appearance control panel. This means that if you save a file with a Japanese name, and then try to open it from Recently Used Items, the file name is unreadable. Does anyone know how to add fonts to the Appearance control panel??

Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 1999, 09:18 PM

Hey Kupakai, about this command+space thing to change keyboard layout. It's indeed very distracting. The only thing I know is this. If you use the same command for ie scrolling in Photoshop, press and hold space BEFORE you press command. (normally you press and hold command before space), then there won't be a keyboardshift.

leighgion
Dec 19, 1999, 10:23 PM

You can disable the Command + Space layout shortcut in the Keyboard control panel. Easy as pie.

glickster
Dec 20, 1999, 04:51 AM

I use Japanese Macs with the standard Japanese keyboards, but I hate getting error messages in Japanese (it takes too long for me to slog thru the kanji) and "bakamoji" in some applications, so I've installed US English OS8.6. Unfortunately, the keyboard mapping does not correspond to the Japanese keyboard when in Kotoeri. Does English OS9 with the optional JLK installed have a Japanese keyboard mapping to get around this annoyance?

Although buying an English keyboard would solve my desktop's problems, I' rather not go that route at present; I doubt I could even find one for the G3 PowerBook I use.

Hoping that the fix
Will reveal itself in time
I wait patiently.

Keda
Senior User
Dec 20, 1999, 11:03 AM

I was wondering where I could get a keyboard to go with a Thai language kit. I have an older Thai package from Thailand, but i have not seen this in The US. Any suggestions?

Nathan Jones
Oct 25, 2000, 02:08 PM

Hello. I was hoping someone could help me with my MacOS9 chinese input. Everything is great, except in the menu, the traditional chinese shows up as gibberish, although the simplified, japanese, and korean show just fine. My large system font is Chicago, and I only seem to have limited options (none of which solves the problem). A strange thing is that when I use the trad->simp. converter, the menu (large system) font changes to something that looks kind of like courier, and...i can see the trad. chinese menu, but ONLY while this program is active. Did I install incorrectly; does anyone know of a fix for this? Xie xie.

dklaproth  (op)
Oct 25, 2000, 02:59 PM

Nathan,

I don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem with Japanese and ended up doing a clean install, with JLK as an opion. This fixed my problem. I hope this helps.

childoftheworld
Nov 26, 2000, 05:04 AM

Apparently, I have checked the NET and there seems to be a Thai Language Toolkit 4.0 available in Thailand for MacOS 9.0 that has a Thai Keyboard, Thai fonts, Thai Dictionary... ETC. I think it is for B500.00. I want it... and I am still trying to look for resources to get it without going to Bangkok.

Originally posted by Keda:
I was wondering where I could get a keyboard to go with a Thai language kit. I have an older Thai package from Thailand, but i have not seen this in The US. Any suggestions?

fimwat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2000, 07:16 AM

I have a friend who's having problems getting the Japanese and the Chinese (traditional and simplified) language kits working together under one roof. The Japanese kit seems to work fine, but the Chinese text ends up with garbage, even though the input process works fine. This is under M$ word, by the way. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.
"People need to stop using forum signatures. They're so irritating"
- conniving little worm

RossMannnn
Apr 9, 2001, 12:13 AM

About the Thai Kit - I bought Thai Language Kit 4.0 online from DOC Thailand, cant remember the url. Its supposed to be for OS9, and works for some stuff, but when installed, I cant use net apps like IE or Eudora. Has anyone else worked with this kit? It is good for wp, but seems buggy on my ibook - the finder's menu fonts get junky, and it seems that any net stuff it just cant do. If anyone knows a better way to get Thai on OS9.0.4, then please reply. Ross.

Forum Links
Forum Rules