Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Epson CX9400

Epson CX9400
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 09:34 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Epson CX9400? I need new AIO to replace my HP6110.

Any comments or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

chefpastry
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2007, 10:10 PM

I gave up on Epson printers long ago... Every Epson I ever had ended up with clogged print heads necessitating the purchase of a new printer.
Mac Pro 3.2x8 - 48GB - EVGA GTX 680 - Apple Remote - Dell 3007WFP-HC
MacBook 2GHz - C2D - 8GB - GF 9400M
Mac mini 2.33GHz C2D - 4GB - GMA950 - 2 Drobos - SS4200 (unRAID)
iPhone 5 + iPhone 4 S⃣

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 01:54 AM

I too gave up on Epson. The CXs aren't so bad (although, like their older relatives, they still produce comparatively dirty prints) and I'd probably still be using mine except for the fact that one of the damn cartridges somehow got frozen. I couldn't even pull it out with a pair of pliers.

I'm very happy so far with my Canon MFC.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 02:06 AM

Big Mac, what model of Canon to you have?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 02:13 AM

Mx310

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 12:28 PM

Are you happy with the way Canon operates? Does it print decent photos? If I look at Canon the MP830 seems to fill my requirements.

thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 12:44 PM

I'm very happy with it. I've never heard a bad thing from anyone concerning Canon printers, yet it ironically took me a long while to buy one. Canon has always offered excellent OS X support, btw.

Douglashh  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2007, 03:48 PM

Looks like I'll be getting a Canon MP830 from Santa then.

Thanks for the info.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 03:53 PM

You're welcome.

bfr00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2007, 10:11 PM

The principal reason for buying an Epson is print quality and permanence. I haven't seen anybody addressing that issue. I don't want an invoice printed on my printer to smear when somebody at the receiving office touches it with their coffee cup, for instance. AFAIK only Epson has smudge and smear resistant prints (Durabrite)

kaykow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2008, 10:01 AM

I am not happy with this product. I cannot receive faxes. I can send but not receive. EPSON was not helpful at all. I will be returning this machine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 05:00 PM

Yeah, I have been a dissatisfied Epson owner. The last one I owned, a lower number CX, worked decently enough until one of its ink cartridges froze in place and couldn't even be removed with a wrench. Canon provides higher quality, cleaner prints and much better ink efficiency. (I also hate the Epson print head design.)

zykron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2008, 08:35 PM

New "AIO"?

Well anyways, I used to use Epson before they switched over to the nightmarish C-models ($40 printers that did nothing but jam papers... no way). I had used the 740i (the one where you could swamp fruity printer cover colors, man that was sweet stuff). That was all right, but the ink sucked. Install a new ink catridge, then run the cleaning utility 6 times to get it to work. Lines would show up regularly... and after two printers, I saw where Epson was going and said... time to switch.

My Canon printers are inkjets, because I can't trust the LaserJet market (too many semi-decent expensive models, too many streak complaints with the 2605dn, and I can't/don't trust HP's future platform support), and so I just use old-fashioned inkjet printers. I used a Canon i560 until the paper feeder basically collapsed. I needed a similar model pretty fast and so got a (slower and older, 2001-model) Canon i950. It still works.

Oh, and did I mention: the ink for the i950 is f!!king dirt cheap on eBay... like $1.50 a cartridge.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2008, 07:40 AM

I bought an Epson CX7400 on black friday last year and have had nothing but EXCELLENT performance out of it. Really great text, graphics and photo printing, as well as scanning and copying too

And I still have not had to replace the ink cartridges, even after printing a buttload of holiday pix, letters, spreadsheets etc etc.......

FWIW, years ago, I had both an SC740 and SP1250 too, SAB and neveranottaproblemo, the graphic-designer ex just wore them out. Also have had Canons & HP's too, but they always died early deaths......6 months or less, & sucked up ink faster than she drank her booze !
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules