Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 or G3

G4 or G3
NeoScire
Jan 10, 2001, 11:34 PM

Hey. You all remember me. Well, at last the time as come for me to buy a damn PowerBook already. I was really pumped about getting a g4, but I have been reading some not so great stuff. I mean, for how much more you pay, is it really worth it.
I have oughly 3,000(maybe a bit more) to spend. What do you all think? I can't really find a G3 500, but do you think that it would pay to get the G4 500, 128 ram and 20 gig.. or load out a g3 500? I dont really know all about altivec... but i do some photoshop stuff on my pc and would like to on my mac.. i also am a light gamer... lets hear your thoughts.
-neo-

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2001, 01:09 AM

Hmm...in a way the machines are more similar than different. I'd think you'd be comparing the features that mean something to you. If you don't need an expansion bay and are happy to connect externally FW devices, perhaps the premium you'll spend on the G4 might be worth it.

I got my Pismo 500 in October. So far it's been a great machine. If I were buying today I'm not sure the extra screen size and better processor of the PBG4 would be enough to tip my hand and pay the premium over a Pismo, although there is a good argument that says get the best machine you can afford at the time.

I'd see if you can't get a first-hand look at a live Mercury, and check out if its stripped down minimalism look does anything for you.

I like Pismo's curves. My vote for the better machine is a tricked-out Pismo with all the goodies, rather than a vanilla Mercury.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 04:47 AM

I agree with Timo. I have had my G3/500 since October. Got it toward the end of the ed discount promotion from my college bookstore. I like the curves, I like black and like the fact that it has bays and it isn't super light. 6lbs is about what a Powerbook should weigh. I purchased a palm for carrying on my hip.

Anyway, if you can find any 500Mhz G3s left then I would pick one up, enjoy the savings and purchase some extra cool stuff to go with it.

NeoScire  (op)
Jan 11, 2001, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I think that I am gonna wait this out a week or two and see what kind of deal I cant get with the G4. I have 3,500. I want to get all i can afford.

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by NeoScire:
Thanks for the opinions. I think that I am gonna wait this out a week or two and see what kind of deal I cant get with the G4. I have 3,500. I want to get all i can afford.

The 400Mhz G4 system will be faster in Photoshop than the G3 500
http://www.barefeats.com/altivec.html

As you can see even when you take the AltiVec plugins out of photoshop the G4 is still faster than a G3 running at the same clockspeed. When you add the AltiVec back in the speed increase is great! I'm sure you'll eventually install OS X as well and that has plenty of Altivec optimizations in it(memory Allocator, Quartz, Quicktime) meaning your G4 Powerbook will be faster even in non AltiVec aware apps. And honestly I don't think the Pismo's LCD's where really that good. I'm hearing good things about the 15.2 as far as brightness and clarity goes. You're really going to want to lay your hands and eyes on the PBG4 before you make your final decision. Just don't let the clock speeds fool you...the G4 processor is for real and will flex it's muscles this year.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

hotani
Senior User
Jan 12, 2001, 06:32 PM

I have also been on the fence between getting a g3 500 (although they are dissappearing quickly...) or a new g4.

I have decided to go for the g4, and if possible (if I can stand it) wait for the first revision - hopefully we will get a better graphics card and a cheaper price tag.

My reasoning is that I have been wanting a widescreen laptop for a long time now and to pass it up for a cheaper g3 would be a mistake for me. Also, I am already using OS X and want to take advantage of the G4/OS X combo. If only I could wait for OS X to come preinstalled on the Ti PowerBook!! Maybe June? July?? sooner please!!?

------------------
PowerBook G3 266/128
Darwin 1.2/OS X PB/OS 8.6
download free hotani web template
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 10:59 PM

I think I'm gonna get the new G4. Since I sold my 3400 some years ago I've always been missing the portability.
I too miss the curves, but my experience tells me to go for the slimmest and most light weighted one, since I carry it around a lot.
I'm all eager to get one as soon as availible... but perhaps it's a good idea to wait and read some user response?

acadian
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 06:12 PM

I think that really depends on your needs. If you just plan on browsing and gaming, the G3 500 will more than compensate. But if you can hold out till mid year, you will probably find that apple will release a much sexier G4. Whatever the revision will hold however, it will at least drop the cost on the current model.
people ruin everything....

Forum Links
Forum Rules