Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm Embarrased For You

I'm Embarrased For You
PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 03:38 AM

My most sincere apologies for such an outburst. It's just that when I walk into a room that occasionally boasts intellect and maturity only to find a flock of whining children, I seem to lose my temper. I'm honestly sickened after reading complaint after complaint concerning the PBG4. Who on earth are you people? While the majority of the computer world is praising Titanium, this group of understimulated Mac-philes seem to be searching for a new cause to occupy their otherwise empty lives. Ooooh, Pook, slow down.

This is a wonderfully engineered machine. It is beautiful, and if your eye sees it as otherwise, it is certainly unoffensive. It is powerful. It has genuine real world functionality with it's "true" 5 hour battery life and large screen. Christ Almighty!

I hope, for the future of Apple, that each and every one of you dissenters is immediately employed in their development department. Not only would they gain the infinite wisdom of you divine computer geeks, they would also find a work force with so little time on their hands they would work without sleep. Pook! I told you to tone it down!

Is the new PBG4 perfect? No! Of course not! But to see hundreds - literally hundreds - of complaints about it is not only wrong, it's pathetic.

-Pook

------------------
Switch the pitch gradually.
It's the devil's way now.

Phaedrus
Jan 13, 2001, 03:54 AM

If the Powerbook Ti gave free oral sex with each system freeze/reboot, these same people would still be complaining..."awww, HELL! It doesn't crash often enough!", "It's too stable! With my Pismo I could have gotten free oral sex at least once per day!", "Man, it gets me off too fast! Its over in two minutes...my Pismo would have taken it more slow and easy..."

I don't understand it either...this Powerbook Ti is amazing! Yes, the vRAM is pathetic, but that's the only glaring flaw! Most of these whiners don't even think before they complain. If they did then they would realize that most Firewire peripherals have an extra firewire port for DAISYCHAINING, so one port is plenty. I've seen it all...basically anytime Apple makes a product change, everyone will complain because they fear change of any sort.

I'm floored by Apple's success at shoehorning a G4 into that (thin) powerbook. The pismo was great except it's screen was too small and it needed a G4...now we not only have those features, but its also smaller, lighter, and it looks cool as fu[k! It puts out some bad-ass vibes, it looks so industrial and minimalist, like a Frank Lloyd Wright design. I've never been moved by a laptop desing until now.

Palegolas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 05:29 AM

If this PowerBook G4 would cost $1500, nobody would be complaining. People'd buy it and be very very happy. And once in their hands they'd understand it's a great machine, I guess. Right?
Now you're whining as if Apple decided to discontinue MacOS X and use Windows as it's operating system or something.
We're the happy Mac guys, right? The guys getting the most comfortable OS, the best machines, the most complete environment... etc...

Keep it up Apple. Good work.

Christ Almighty
Jan 13, 2001, 08:20 AM

We have a right to be disapointed in the 'new version', because it is a 'new version' lying somewhere between a 'new model', and an 'update'.

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2001, 09:11 AM

for those who complain about the new Ti:
the way i see it, if you don't like the new powerbook then don't buy it! If you want a very small and light laptop with a huge screen, have a 10GB vram and a 10 Ghz processor then wait for it to come out. If you want more vram and a faster processor now, then maybe you should be getting the other laptop.
I love the Ti and will be buying the next generation machine when it comes out. it has always been my policy not to buy a first year product, so i'll wait.

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 03:39 PM

Well gee, Palegolas, you think they should just make it $1500 and then everyone would be happy? Why stop there? Why not just make is $500 and then everyone would definately be happy, even little 7 year olds who could buy one by saving up their Christmas money. What a load of crap this is. Complaining about paying $2500 for a machine that is absolutely worth the money. In case you haven't heard, Apple is making essentially zero profit margins on Titanium so they can increase market share. Would you rather them actually lose money on every one sold just so we could please you?

Sorry, Palegolas, I'm not targeting you. You just became a symbol for what I'm complaining about. I liked your post.

-Pook

------------------

LeoBag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 07:00 PM

I don't think Palegolas meant that he thought it was over priced... I think he meant that if it was cheaper, then there would be no complaining (the complaining that people are sick of, including me). And once they actually received the machine, they would realize how awesome it is - and probably would have paid the 2600 it costs.

OR I can be totally wrong about Palegolas motive for the post.

But, for some reason I don't think he was serious about the first comment. Anyway, TiBook is very, very nice. I AM gonna get one. But I am like 'nuckin futs' - I am gonna wait until OS X is the default OS before I buy it (July).

-LB

ged
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2001, 07:10 PM

> the way i see it, if you don't like the new powerbook then don't buy it!

and the way us "dissenters" and "whiners" see it, if you like the new powerbook, go buy one! hopefully, there'll be lots of willing sheep like you to go for the titaniums. but i think i'll stick to my pismo till the next revision comes out.

as has been pointed out innumerable times in these fora, dissension is an essential part of making apple better. for example, if there hadn't been a zillion people whining and dissenting about the lack of certain features in the os x public beta, we may not now have an apple menu, the new dock etc. left to you yesmen and brown-nosers, the os x final may have remained the same as the beta.

so please stop telling people not to whine. instead, go work a little harder and buy the sucky products so apple will have the resources to improve the machines for the rest of us.

-ged
proud to be a whiner

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 08:02 PM

Shut up, Ged, you narrow minded, worthless piece of sh!t.

Now that's done, I'll give you a more productive response.

No one, not one person, has ever insinuated that there is anything wrong with voicing opinions concerning ways of improving a product. After all, how can the makers know what the public wants if no one tells them? An open dialogue is something any reasonable person appreciates. It allows makers to see areas of improvement. Often the product one makes is perfect in his eyes...after all, he made it! Telling the maker what's wrong with it is the only way it will ever advance.

You, Ged, ignored this acknowlegement. My point is simple- don't complain in a whiny, unproductive fashion. Recognize the benefits of a product. Don't denounce something just because it doesn't match your idea of what it should have been. See the good. These are all obvious things that people not obsessed with finding fault do. You should look at Titanium, see the good it will do for Apple, for you, and for its users. Then you notice the lack of VRAM etc... and tell it to Apple. There you go, nice and productive. But to have hundreds of posts is not productive anymore, it is simply a way for you - excuse the term - dorks to get some anger off your chests. Take it out on the new Apple product, regardless of its benefits.

Oh, and sorry to Palegolas. I think I did misread your post.

-Pook

------------------

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Shut up, Ged, you narrow minded, worthless piece of sh!t.
Now, I think you are going too far my friend. Even if you find your ideas legitimate, that's not the proper way to treat people.

We are embarrassed for you, PookJP.

Keep switching the pitch gradually!

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 01-14-2001).]

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by PookJP:
Ged, I can't say that I agree with your comments.

No one, not one person, has ever insinuated that there is anything wrong with voicing opinions concerning ways of improving a product. After all, how can the makers know what the public wants if no one tells them? An open dialogue is something any reasonable person appreciates. It allows makers to see areas of improvement. Often the product one makes is perfect in his eyes...after all, he made it! Telling the maker what's wrong with it is the only way it will ever advance.

You, Ged, ignored this acknowlegement. My point is simple- don't complain in a whiny, unproductive fashion. Recognize the benefits of a product. Don't denounce something just because it doesn't match your idea of what it should have been. See the good. These are all obvious things that people not obsessed with finding fault do. You should look at Titanium, see the good it will do for Apple, for you, and for its users. Then you notice the lack of VRAM etc... and tell it to Apple. There you go, nice and productive. But to have hundreds of posts is not productive anymore, it is simply a way for you - excuse the term - dorks to get some anger off your chests. Take it out on the new Apple product, regardless of its benefits.

Oh, and sorry to Palegolas. I think I did misread your post.

-Pook
[/B]
[edit: ]

------------------

PookJP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 12:29 PM

I guess I was quite silly, Pooh, for posting such a thing. Problem solved.

------------------

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2001, 02:08 PM

I can't help but giving my .1�:

I sense a reason for the whinning. Perhaps the majority of the whiners have never used/owned and will never use/own a powerbook! They will whine and complain and declare their wait for the next model, until the next model comes along, when the whole repertoire is repeated all over again.

Sure I have concern about the vram, I am weighing the possibility of upgrade, but whatever outcome, I will get one to replaced my sold pismo ASAP, because I need the TOOL for my work right now. I am sure the next TOOL is going to blow the pants off this one, but at least I know I am getting my work done meanwhile. Wait if you want/can!

SillyPooh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 02:18 PM

Ah, much better!
What a f*cking good student!
Cheers,

[This message has been edited by SillyPooh (edited 01-14-2001).]

ged
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2001, 04:21 AM

> Originally posted by PookJP:
> Shut up, Ged, you narrow minded, worthless piece of sh!t.

pookjp,
i suppose it's my turn to be embarrassed (never mind your lack of ability to spell) for you. i'm not sure whether to bother responding to such a post or not, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just an individual lacking the necessary education for civilised discourse in the public arena.

i really don't see where, in your initial post, you accepted the possibility that there might be legitimate grounds for complaint against the pbg4. as far as i can tell, you were just telling us "whiners and dissenters" to shut the hell up. if you bother reading our posts, you will find that most of us like several aspects of the new 'book. we just think that for a product two years in the making, it was not the technological leap we were hoping for.

do try to reply politely if you are able.

-ged

p.s. hey oink, i (a whiner) made it explicitly clear in my post that own a pismo. i dissent with reason (and civility)...

Johnny Blaze
Jan 15, 2001, 08:40 AM

If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right. This then is my brief, incomplete and frequently silly guide to making Flame of the Week.

Leave your reason at the door. You must NOT have any form of conventional logic in your flame. If you're thinking then you're not writing a flame. This is possibly the hardest aspect of producing a flame and that is why we start with it. Unless you are suffering from a mental illness, you will have spent most of your life following a complex set of social rules. These are a hindrance when attempting a flame. You must create your own world and speak from there. There is no single way to do this, although tired and tested methods include illegal drug intake, sleep deprivation, compulsive masturbation and listening to Marilyn Manson.

Don't make it too long. This is an immediate signal that some form of reasoning is going on. A true flamer has at most three paragraphs in him/her before the sheer fury and hatred overcomes them and they pass out on their keyboard - hitting the send button with their forehead.

Pick a topic to rant about but for God's sake don't read anymore than the first paragraph. And don't read this very carefully either. There are jokes and smatterings of sarcasm and irony in here but these aren't for you. Everything you (don't) read is the literal truth as we see it. Once you haven't grasped the story you can start to twist the words into whatever makes you most angry.

Tie in your hatreds/prejudices. This goes with the previous point. Remember, a flame is not about responding to a story - it is merely the vehicle by which you can tell the world what's wrong with it. You must however pay the story lip service before you start to explain why kids/dogs/indians/Steve/women/socks/8 megs of VRAM are the most useless and evil things in existence.

For god's sake, don't start using correct grammar. Apostrophes, capital letters, full stops do not exist in your world. And why spell a word correctly when you can write it phonetically and still get the meaning across? If possible, try to make the flame one long sentence (this is not to be attempted by first-time flamers though). Also, try to write the flame as fast as possible and you'll find many mistakes just create themselves.

Be deeply and personally abusive to the person you're writing to. Try to imagine them sleeping with your partner and laughing at you at the same time. Use all the blind hatred that the government has piled into you to help it start a war - for example, repeating the word Saddam or Slobodan or commie over and over again, louder and louder. Then throw out whatever comes into your head.

Word of warning: don't use too many swear words. Odd one this, but while true flamers will not let a sentence slip past without at least one profanity, imitators put in too many. You see, the flamer will - somewhere deep deep down - have a point to make. Swear words are only to be used when the struggle to explain just how wrong the world is becomes too much to bear and a good "f*ck" relieves the pressure in their skulls - briefly.
Do not reread your flame. Tell yourself you will send it as soon as you think you have finished. This will give you the element of spontaneity and will not give your rational mind time to interject.

Celebrate a successful flame by killing something. Many compulsive flamers keep a jar of insects next to their desk just for this reason.

BMWDrum
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2001, 11:48 AM

MacNN needs to have a FAQ on this forum, then they could include Johnny Blaze's definition of a "Flame" I thought it was a very good description, and funny. \

drum
Some days you're the dog, and some days you're the hydrant.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 15, 2001, 05:50 PM

i think revision 2 is supposed to have UMA2, a new nvidia graphics card, and faster g4s. uma 2 comes with a faster bus etc.

that's what i'm waiting for (especially since the $ isn't agreeing with me on my titanium fixation )

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

ged
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2001, 09:31 PM

> Originally posted by Johnny Blaze:
> If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right. This then is my
> brief, incomplete and frequently silly guide to making Flame of the Week.

"witty and brilliantly funny" exclaims the new york times fora review! "a must-read for all budding flamers" expounds the washington post. "a clasicc" says the san fracsico examiner (please note: spelling mistakes included for that ring of authenticity).

jholmes
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2001, 09:38 PM

Be embarrassed for me if you wish but I am disappointed in the PBG4Ti. I do own a PowerBook - two in fact and have been awaiting Mercury for almost a full year.
I am terribly disappointed in the fact that I can't use one. I need a zip drive. A simple problem which rides in the expansion bay of my Pismo. No dice on the Merc. I have no desire to spend $3500 on a beautiful machine to which I must string external peripherals just to read my clients files.

So I whine.
Want one? Hell yes. Need one? Sure do. Gonna buy one? Not til they come up with a solution to this simple problem that is as elegant as the Mercury itself. .
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2001, 10:22 PM

I just find it odd, reading through this forum and others, how, if a certain machine doesn't cater *exactly* to their needs, people will claim that Apple completely goofed and screwed up the machine...

Have they ever considered that they *might* not be the target market for the product?

Y'know, I really love the Audi TT Roadster, but I'd never buy one because I can't fit my Hammond organ in the trunk. That doesn't mean Audi messed up the car. It's just not *my* car. So I didn't buy it.

Maybe Apple will at some point have BTO-options, but frankly, wouldn't you wait and see how the damn thing sells before investing in offering options?

BTO-options aren't something you decide and then offer. They require development, initial investment, stocking, all the sort of stuff you're not gonna do unless you pretty much know what your costs are gonna be, how much you're gonna be selling, and what you're gonna be pricing them at.

As for higher monitor resolutions: You might want to wait until Apple makes an operating system that actually *supports* higher resolutions. Apparently, OS X *could* in theory, but it won't for a while yet.

-chris.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2001, 12:07 AM

Love Apple, and all that good sh*t, but here lies the problem. Apple has this strong desire to sell us the products they want us to buy. They don't however, want to sell us products we want to buy. I hope this makes sense. It always seems like there is some sort of compromise, why can't we have some choices here? I mean how hard would it have been to include a PowerBook with some expansion possiblities, a second battery, etc.? People are still looking for these features in a PowerBook. Proof, the remaining Pismo's are being gobbled up like there's no tomorrow. Here's Apple's game plan, take it or leave it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules