Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Performance of Macromedia MX apps in 10.2?

Performance of Macromedia MX apps in 10.2?
Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 10:02 AM

I'm thinking about finally upgrading from 10.1.5 but there are some horror stories on Versiontracker about Dreamweaver MX and Jaguar. I notice that Macromedia hasn't released any updates as yet. What are your experiences with the Studio MX apps (specifically Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX) in 10.2.1?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
What are your experiences with the Studio MX apps (specifically Dreamweaver MX and Flash MX) in 10.2.1?
Not different from under 10.1, really. Only light use so far, but they still have the weird window-does-not-focus bug, and are not going to win any speed records anytime soon (TiBook 800, 1GB RAM).
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 11:05 AM

I have Dreamweaver MX and Jaguar, it all seems to work fine. I've only used it a few times, but no problems as far as I can tell...

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 01:13 PM

I agree with the previous assessment. I wish I knew where all the CPU cycles go when doing something as simple as template updates... (I mean, they aren't folding proteins behind our backs, are they?) but I've been DWMX for production work daily under Jaguar since Jag was released.

neoTony
Sep 22, 2002, 08:56 PM

All the macromedia apps run something akin to molasses under X. They were never speedy under 9, but lately I've been working entirely in BBEdit to save time (Which is sad, because DW used to be such a good tool for mocking up HTML pages). I have to admit I'm a heavy user (I usually have about 20 pages + the site window open), but it's not this slow on certain other competing platforms - C'mon Macromedia - get your act together!

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 09:31 PM

I have to concur that it is no worse under 10.2 than under 10.1.x, but in general it sucks. Of course Dreamweaver MX is still slow on my P4 1.4 Ghz (only marginally faster than on my Pismo 400).

Each version of Dreamweaver gets slower, and slower and slower . . .

-- Jason

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 01:24 AM

Hi all well Flash MX works fine for me here. Ive been using it since 10.1 and now im using it in Jag on a pismo(500 w/766 ram) and on a quicksilver(dp1gig w/1.5 gig ram).

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

m4rtin
Sep 26, 2002, 11:08 PM

Dreamweaver MX runs very badly under 10.2 (and 10.2.1)!!!!
I noticed this immediately after upgrading from 10.1.5

I work on shared directories on a PC server, and have noticed a delay of between 2 and 10 seconds when opening up a page.
I work from the Site window.
Strangely, opening in Code mode reacts quicker initially and then there is a delay while the split and layout mode buttons become acitve. These do not work until active (ie not greyed out)

Working on my local hard drive doesn't have this delay.

It is quite embarrassing when I am showing pages in DW to a project manager or other developer and this delay happens.

ps It is not an option to move the directories to my local drive for working on them for many reasons, especially as they are shared, contain .asp etc etc

PB Ti 500 OS X 10.2.1

superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2002, 08:11 AM

Well if you think DW is bad, how about Fireworks and Flash? Now they're REALLLLLY slow! I've found Freehand to be the best of a bad bunch performance wise, though granted I'm just on a 500MHZ iBook.

For me, the contextual palettes are the biggest problem - after selecting a different object, (i.e. from text to graphics to timeline etc.) the delay in the palette changing is infuriating! At least FH hasn't implemented this yet... I guess that'll come next time

Come on Macromedia! Pull your socks up!!!!

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 27, 2002, 08:35 AM

Performance is mediocre, but definitely usable. My problem with Dreamweaver (especially) is how frickin buggy it is. Macromedia desperately needs to release an update to fix some of this crap.

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 08:42 AM

Dreamweaver has been buggy since version 3, and gets worse wih each one. It pisses me so much because functionaliy-wise it's a great program.

-- Jason

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2002, 11:54 AM

No problems here with DW and Flash. And DW isn't buggy for me of course it may be on features I don't use.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

jasong
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2002, 03:51 PM

Has anyone else been unable to get the system color picker to work in Dreamweaver MX? It works fine in the other MX programs, but clicking on the button to bring up the system color picker, or set the color to transparent does nothing for me.

I tried deleting preferences, and it still didn't work.

-- Jason

m4rtin
Sep 27, 2002, 08:45 PM

Does anyone else have the same problem with DW MX over a network? (as described above) The problem is worse for larger projects too...

There's a wonderful bug in DW MX that crashes the app (quits) when using a scroll wheel....

I check the MM DW site for updates frequently but nothing. Is there another forum where the MM staff talk about known issues etc?

workerbee
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 06:01 AM

Originally posted by m4rtin:
Does anyone else have the same problem with DW MX over a network? (as described above) The problem is worse for larger projects too...

There's a wonderful bug in DW MX that crashes the app (quits) when using a scroll wheel....

I check the MM DW site for updates frequently but nothing. Is there another forum where the MM staff talk about known issues etc?
I don't use DW MX sites over a network, but still find opening files sometimes to be amazingly slow. Double-click a file in the site window, wait between 1 and 3 seconds for it to open. This is for simple xhtml files, a few tables, on a TiBook 800 with 1GB RAM, 10.2.1, clean installed OS and all apps.
I wonder if it has anything to do with what's been written on these boards recently about a bug in 10.2's memory handling, since right now (after a restart) DW feels really fast... nice
MY M$ scrollmouse works beautifully and has never crashed anything yet -- I simply don't install any drivers for it.
You could check the MM forums (webforums.macromedia.com I think), but they're not always much of a help IMHO.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 07:24 AM

It works fine, no bugs or crashes whatsoever. Though I have to admit that Dreamweaver MX seems a bit more sluggish under OS X 10.2.1
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules