Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > G5 Theme concept

G5 Theme concept (Page 2)
quandarry
Jul 31, 2003, 06:53 PM

i think this one by cerbero is cool...

( Last edited by quandarry; Aug 9, 2003 at 04:56 PM. )

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
How about something a little less blue and a little more literal to the computer? Have I gone too far?

I like it! the right side widget should be 4 holes though

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2003, 08:48 PM

Yeah, my titlebar will take some getting used to anyway. I placed it in my copy of brushed along with the widgets everyone seems to like. I don't know how to get around that old bug where the background apps use the mask from the close box on all three widgets though. That seems like it will prevent them from being used. But like I said... I am not going to do the theme anyway, I just wanted to see what the titlebar would look like in actual use. I've seen worse, but I've also seen better.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
i don't think this titlebar makes it...maybe if it went straight across and didn't dip down.

*note: widgets and everything you see is from a metal theme i'm working on...release if ever unknown...probably for panther but who knows...

The one by Cerbero is awesome!! I hope someone build it.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:59 PM

i don't think this titlebar makes it...maybe if it went straight across and didn't dip down.

*note: widgets and everything you see is from a metal theme i'm working on...release if ever unknown...probably for panther but who knows...

I think they should both be mixed, they both have great parts.
click one

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 12:15 PM

I'm really getting carried away to the realistic side...
As everybody seemed to go to a minimalistic design, I decided to go the other way..

BTW, thanks to mrtew for the Handle/title bar idea.

Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
As everybody seemed to go to a minimalistic design, I decided to go the other way..

Your titlebar is working a little better than mine I think. I don't understand the vented buttons at all though. How about making the vents the backgrounds for the scrollbars? Maybe that wouldn't work though with the tiling it uses. Maybe it would be the toolbutton background below the titlebar. The widgets are sort of cool looking but they just don't say G5 at all to me. I think that between everyone we should be able to firgure this out. I always thought that there should be open source themes out there that everyone can modify and release without someone screaming "you stole all my valuable work'.... maybe this one will either become that or will prove that the open source concept can never work for themes!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:

A little bit on the over kill side... You also need to work on your anti-aliasing a bit on a few things.
click one

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 07:21 PM

I've been working on a more complete mockup.. I'm assuming the highlights on the titlebars would work, since Max has a similar thing in the latest version of Brushed.
Would anyone be interested in making this theme into reality?

Click to zoom

The menubar needs a lot more work, as well as the scrollbars...

Btw, if anyone's interested in the wallpaper, I put it up here (1280x960)...

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
I've been working on a more complete mockup..
Great Job Cerbero! Very simple and very close to the G5. I keep working on mine and my "realistic version"

Here is a neww version with new widgets and toolbar button..
( Last edited by Patcarla; Aug 1, 2003 at 07:48 PM. )

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 07:34 PM

Cerbero, I'll work on it. I may need some help. I'll do the titlebars tonight.
( Last edited by Fluid; Aug 1, 2003 at 07:49 PM. )

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 07:34 PM

Beautiful! I mean that, seriously... that's one of the prettiest themes I've seen in a long time. I demand that someone make it!

(My only suggestion is that on the "Path" button, the holes look a little too much like Mickey Mouse... )

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Fluid:
Cerbero, I'll work on it. I may need some help. I'll do the titlebars tonight.
Cool, man
Give me a shout on AIM if you need anything. I have everything you've seen so far as PSDs.
( Last edited by Cerbero; Aug 1, 2003 at 08:21 PM. )

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 03:21 AM

Taken a bit longer than expected. What I have so far:

http://fluidusa.com/screens/G5.jpg

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 05:50 AM

Looks slick.
Suggestions:
1. Instead of having the entire active widget light up, just have the background of them light up, like Iza did in that one black theme.
2. Semi-transparent menus.
3. Uniformity is our friend. No special Brushed implementation, just one unified theme throughout.
jesse ;-)

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 12:07 PM

Looking good. It's smooth and crisp looking, just what a G5 theme should be.
click one

Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2003, 04:26 PM

Well. Tom I leave for a 2 week vacation so instead of just leaving the theme I thought this theme should be created by the community so here is the .tpark for who ever wants to continue the work.

http://fluidusa.com/screens/G5.tpark

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 07:02 PM

Well. Tom I leave for a 2 week vacation so instead of just leaving the theme I thought this theme should be created by the community so here is the .tpark for who ever wants to continue the work.

http://fluidusa.com/screens/G5.tpark
I didn't see any modified elements in it....exported it as a resc based theme and applied...looks like aqua. Am I doing something wrong?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2003, 11:48 PM

I don't know, when I saw this topic I pictured something a bit trurer to the actual machine. Here's a quick and dirty mock-up

Personally I wouldn't use it (too busy, like the design of the machine.)

On a side note, I do like many of the proposed theme's here, but except for Patcarla's version, none of the theme's remind me of the G5's design (which I'm not crazy about in the 1st place, but that's another thread all together)
( Last edited by Toyin; Aug 2, 2003 at 11:57 PM. )
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I don't know, when I saw this topic I pictured something a bit trurer to the actual machine. Here's a quick and dirty mock-up

Personally I wouldn't use it (too busy, like the design of the machine.)
On a side note, I do like many of the proposed theme's here, but except for Patcarla's version, none of the theme's remind me of the G5's design (which I'm not crazy about in the 1st place, but that's another thread all together)

Wow! If you can do something that cool quick and dirty with an idea you don't even like inspired by a design you don't like, I'd like to see what you can do when you are really running strong! I think that looks GREAT!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 01:30 AM

It might be a little over kill on the holes, but could be made into something really cool.
click one

Crimson
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2003, 09:18 AM

digitaljames, that file you downloaded is just a core for a theme, not a them in itself... the file just tells what images go where and so on...

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 10:02 AM

Yes, a generic tpark file is basically a template but he renamed it G5 hence my thinking he had included the resources shown in his screenie...

Originally posted by Crimson:
digitaljames, that file you downloaded is just a core for a theme, not a them in itself... the file just tells what images go where and so on...

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 3, 2003, 12:23 PM

Some nice concepts here. I honestly haven't given the G5 concept much thought since I posted that first idea. I like Cerbrero's concept - nice and clean. Toyin's idea does reflect the G5 a bit more but I don't believe those holes in the titlebar are possible with the way carbon apps stretch their fill.
Who'sDaMac?

Modro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 05:27 PM

Cerbero, I love your concept.

Exactly what I had envisioned, and it looks awesome. I love it.

This is one theme that NEEDS to be finished.
-Don Modro

Imperial Guard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 05:55 PM

I agree.......... That is very impressive "Cerbero". What about black or VERY dark gray "Window TitleBar Buttons"?

quandarry
Aug 4, 2003, 04:09 AM

just the the window title bar, widgets, color and menu...not the buttons or list view.
?
?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 10:36 AM

Wow! If you can do something that cool quick and dirty with an idea you don't even like inspired by a design you don't like, I'd like to see what you can do when you are really running strong! I think that looks GREAT!
Thanks mrtew.

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
Some nice concepts here. I honestly haven't given the G5 concept much thought since I posted that first idea. I like Cerbrero's concept - nice and clean. Toyin's idea does reflect the G5 a bit more but I don't believe those holes in the titlebar are possible with the way carbon apps stretch their fill.
I thought that the title bars are just repeated not stretched. In the worse case scenario you could do this by resizing the title bar fill to something ridiculous like 2000pixels long.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback
I decided to try and make it into an actual theme myself. Some time has to be the first, right? Anyway, I'm having some problems with Carbon apps, as you can see to the right here:

Does anyone know how I can resolve that problem?

As you can also see, I had to give up the highlight on the titlebar, since Carbon and Cocoa apps handle that resource differently. Carbon apps stretch it, while Cocoa apps just repeat it.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Aug 4, 2003, 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback
I decided to try and make it into an actual theme myself. Some time has to be the first, right? Anyway, I'm having some problems with Carbon apps, as you can see to the right here:

Does anyone know how I can resolve that problem?

As you can also see, I had to give up the highlight on the titlebar, since Carbon and Cocoa apps handle that resource differently. Carbon apps stretch it, while Cocoa apps just repeat it.
Just wanted to say that I too like your concept. Even though you can't use a highlight for the titlebars, you can still use it for the menubar.
The gradient on the buttons and scrollbars can't be horizontal though because they must be able to stretch, and when they do that they tile the fill. So a horizontal gradient would not work. I'd suggest that you just made them vertical instead.
I don't see which the problem is, could you explain it further?

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Just wanted to say that I too like your concept. Even though you can't use a highlight for the titlebars, you can still use it for the menubar.
The gradient on the buttons and scrollbars can't be horizontal though because they must be able to stretch, and when they do that they tile the fill. So a horizontal gradient would not work. I'd suggest that you just made them vertical instead.
I don't see which the problem is, could you explain it further?
Well, the right side of the titlebar ends with just a white vertical line. It's supposed to look like a mirroring of the left side. The resource in Extras.rsrc is ok as far as i can tell, I created it on top of the original one.
Thanks for the other tips though. They will make things easier

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 03:20 PM

I've been working on a more complete mockup.. I'm assuming the highlights on the titlebars would work, since Max has a similar thing in the latest version of Brushed.
Would anyone be interested in making this theme into reality?

Click to zoom

The menubar needs a lot more work, as well as the scrollbars...

Btw, if anyone's interested in the wallpaper, I put it up here (1280x960)...
This is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL theme I've ever seen!!! Please make it! :-D

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2003, 06:44 PM

The titlebar thing is only possible with Cocoa apps (but if you have a decent brushed appearance who cares). S'nice - make it Of course, it'll all go to hell when Panther hits, but hey

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 06:49 AM

Well, the right side of the titlebar ends with just a white vertical line. It's supposed to look like a mirroring of the left side. The resource in Extras.rsrc is ok as far as i can tell, I created it on top of the original one.
Thanks for the other tips though. They will make things easier

When you created it over theh top of the original one did you make both sides? The computer won't mirror it over for you, you actually have to draw both sides (including both sides of the mask). The are both in one .pxm and the computer cuts it in half and puts the left half on the left and the right on the right. What you make has to look like a VERY short version of the whole titlebar.... and same for the menubar. Then the fill for it goes in the next .pxm.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 07:27 AM

When you created it over theh top of the original one did you make both sides? The computer won't mirror it over for you, you actually have to draw both sides (including both sides of the mask). The are both in one .pxm and the computer cuts it in half and puts the left half on the left and the right on the right. What you make has to look like a VERY short version of the whole titlebar.... and same for the menubar. Then the fill for it goes in the next .pxm.
I am aware of that. That's what I meant when I said I made a copy of the original resource.

bbxstudio: Hehe, yeah. It's too bad that

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 04:23 PM

Seems like the answer (for me) to my original question of a G5 inspired theme was the obvious answer: a metal PantherPro. So I will be contributing to this burgeoning metal theme category with the tentatively titled PantherMetal; the next addition in my Panther series.

I've just started production on it so it will be a while before release. As with all themes, This preview is very early so the elements you see pictured may change in the final.
Who'sDaMac?

quandarry
Aug 9, 2003, 07:45 PM

i think you should seriously think about changing the color imdamac...

yessssssssssss.....

Toyin
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

Seems like the answer (for me) to my original question of a G5 inspired theme was the obvious answer: a metal PantherPro. So I will be contributing to this burgeoning metal theme category with the tentatively titled PantherMetal; the next addition in my Panther series.

I've just started production on it so it will be a while before release. As with all themes, This preview is very early so the elements you see pictured may change in the final.
Now THAT is cool! It may dethrone Swiz Studio Pro as my favorite theme.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 08:46 PM

Oooooohhhhhh.

Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 03:40 AM

I've just started production on it so it will be a while before release.
As with all themes, This preview is very early so the elements you see pictured may change in the final. [/B]

oh yes that real nice. that one i would use

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 05:44 AM

Beautiful! Yep you just got it right..

templetalker
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 06:54 AM

I think that the first theme is outta control goodness! The aesthetic has an orginal touch of jazz. The latter of the two themes uses the Panther theme and silvers it, like bronzed baby shoes.
( Last edited by templetalker; Aug 10, 2003 at 07:10 AM. )

ambush
Banned
Aug 10, 2003, 11:39 AM

very good.

that and the one in the first post, I want them!

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2003, 02:34 PM

i think you should seriously think about changing the color imdamac...

yessssssssssss.....
That's just wrong. I think you've been drinking too much strawberry quick. You should have that pink nestle quick bunny in your sig instead of sylvester.

Sorry there will be no PantherPink or should I say PinkPanther.
Who'sDaMac?

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
very good.

that and the one in the first post, I want them!
Sorry, the one in my first post is dead; PantherMetal is what it evolved into. If I have any ideas pop into my head for the first one then maybe one day I can morph it into an entirely different theme but as of now it is dead.
Who'sDaMac?

I'mDaMac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 10, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
Now THAT is cool! It may dethrone Swiz Studio Pro as my favorite theme.
Thanks. SS Studio Pro is definitely one of my favorites too.
Who'sDaMac?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 03:23 PM

Sorry, the one in my first post is dead; PantherMetal is what it evolved into. If I have any ideas pop into my head for the first one then maybe one day I can morph it into an entirely different theme but as of now it is dead.
I think he meant the Cerbero's mock. Being the first post of this page.

I also really looking fed to use that theme, i looks just awesome.

The latest iteration of your idea is very nice too. I hope both themes get made soon.

catsank
Aug 10, 2003, 03:41 PM

Somebody say SS Studio Pro is definitely one of their fav's

- Still hanging about for bug-free version :)

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 05:19 PM

oke, catsank... YOU make a theme
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

catsank
Aug 11, 2003, 06:07 PM

iFix Rene - Still sucking on SS Studio Pro - But thanks for the invite :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules