Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iSub and Panther

iSub and Panther
Rumor Addict
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 07:03 PM

As of 10.3 , iSub now mutes when the mute key on the keyboard is pressed.

YAH finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only took 4 OS X releases to get it and just in time for it to be discontinued.
MacBook 2.0 / Powerbook 1ghz 12inch 768mb / Original 5 gig iPod / 512mb iPod Shuffle

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2003, 11:18 PM

lol hey cool! I didn't notice until you pointed it out. Yeah, that was extremely annoying, and it lasted all through the Jaguar days, during which Apple tried to write it off as "normal" behavior for the iSub

I was hoping Panther would keep my iSub from disappearing when waking from sleep sometimes, but I've already lost it once since installing Panther

something great I just noticed is that Safari seems to keep the "check spelling as you type" option turned on now
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Rumor Addict:
As of 10.3 , iSub now mutes when the mute key on the keyboard is pressed.

YAH finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only took 4 OS X releases to get it and just in time for it to be discontinued.
THANK YOU !!

Thank you Apple for finally fixing that damn annoyance.

Thank you Rumor Addict for giving me one more reason to look forward to getting Panther.

alittle158
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 02:23 AM

I also noticed that the drivers for USB speakers are significantly improved. I have a pair of MS/Phillips USB speakers (which rock, BTW) and now the controls on the speakers control the volume functions of the system. These worked under OS 9.1, but Apple seemed to break this support in later revisions of the operating system.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:07 AM

Mine always had muted with no issue. Unless you are talking about the stand alone iSub, my iSub/Soundstick combo has always worked fine with the keyboard.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2003, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Mine always had muted with no issue. Unless you are talking about the stand alone iSub, my iSub/Soundstick combo has always worked fine with the keyboard.
Yes, we're talking about the standalone ... I imagine the soundsticks are treated as a single USB audio device, while the iSub + internal speakers have heretofore been treated as separate devices with separate mute buttons in the sound control panel (and even THAT one only worked half the time with my iSub).

A related question to Rumor Addict. I assume this means that the iSub will appropriately mute when you plug in headphones too ??

I just used "heretofore" in context ...

russkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:33 PM

I also noticed that the crossover for the lower frequencies now works properly. In Jaguar, when I muted the iSub via the Control Panel, the speakers sound the same as when it is not plugged in. In OS 9 days, only lower frequencies would be sent to the iSub and these frequencies removed from the regular speakers. This would generate a better sound and a substantial increase in volume potential.

In Panther, if I mute the iSub via the control panel, the speaker sound "tinny" like they should. Otherwise, my Apple Pro speakers and iSub are trying to do the same work regarding the lower frequencies. All this means that sounds quality has improved significantly just by upgrading to Panther.

Thank you Apple!

-Russell
Russell Stuever
[email protected]

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:

A related question to Rumor Addict. I assume this means that the iSub will appropriately mute when you plug in headphones too ??
NO, the one thing that absolutely annoys the hell out of me in OS X is still there. How hard is this to implement? In the Sound pref pane it shows when headphones are connected. Why couldn't Apple put in a simple function that if headphones were the output device the iSub would be muted?

tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 12:41 AM

hi, does anyone else have this problem?

Ok, I have an iMac 1ghz and the iSub in 10.3 Panther

Sometimes when I wake the computer from sleep, the iSub doesn't work anymore. The only option is to restart or to unplug and replug. Does anyone else have the problem on their computers?
thanks

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
hi, does anyone else have this problem?

Ok, I have an iMac 1ghz and the iSub in 10.3 Panther

Sometimes when I wake the computer from sleep, the iSub doesn't work anymore. The only option is to restart or to unplug and replug. Does anyone else have the problem on their computers?
thanks
Same problem here, although it might be less frequent in 10.3. I've had this problem with the iSub ever since the first version of OS X.

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Walker:
Same problem here, although it might be less frequent in 10.3. I've had this problem with the iSub ever since the first version of OS X.
Me too however, I've noticed that just by going to Sound Pref immediately gets the iSub working. I used to have to unplug/plug until Panther. At least that's easier.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 02:16 AM

Wow, you have been registered here for 4 years and finally decided to make your first post.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 08:03 AM

The isub also seems to behave better now :shrug: I'm happy ^_^
Aloha

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2003, 09:45 AM

Another thing:

The Sound System Preference FINALLY HAS A WORKING SLIDER FOR ISUB VOLUME IN THE GERMAN LOCALISATION!!!!

A friend of mine bought his first Mac (G4 iMac) about two years ago with an iSub, and this ****ing slider has NEVER worked - he always had to change system language to English.

Two years is a ****ing embarrassment to Apple, but hey, he's a happy camper now.

-s*

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by mchladek:
NO, the one thing that absolutely annoys the hell out of me in OS X is still there. How hard is this to implement? In the Sound pref pane it shows when headphones are connected. Why couldn't Apple put in a simple function that if headphones were the output device the iSub would be muted?
This would need to be an optional feature. I run headphone out to the speakers in an LCD screen. This necessitates simultaneous iSub and headphone output.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 10:04 PM

Just wanted to drag this back up since it has the attention of those who use the standalone iSub, like myself. I've been having the occasional kernel panic since about Mac OS X 10.2.7 or perhaps 10.2.8, and it caught my attention that they always seemed to happen immediately after sending a message with Proteus. After checking the panic.log, I found several references to apple audio drivers and families as the culprit for the panic. So it wasn't actually Proteus or the sending of a message that caused the panic, but instead it was the sound effect played when sending a message, thus exploiting a bug in Apple's audio drivers. At least, that's my theory

A couple of things to note is that I am using the iSub in conjunction with the Apple Pro Speakers on a Flat-Panel iMac, and iTunes is also always playing during these panics. They happen about once a week, and seemingly only if I haven't shut down or restarted my computer 4 or more days. I've already sent feedback to Apple. I just wanted to bring this up to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I am now running 10.3 and still suffering from these panics, but the issue started back in the Jaguar days. From the Panic.log, all of my panics read as such:

Wed Nov 5 21:12:28 2003

Unresolved kernel trap(cpu 0): 0x300 - Data access DAR=0x0000000027A81FF8 PC=0x00000000007C6A64
Latest crash info for cpu 0:
Exception state (sv=0x1A76EA00)
PC=0x007C6A64; MSR=0x0000B030; DAR=0x27A81FF8; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x007C43BC; R1=0x0CBABBF0; XCP=0x0000000C (0x300 - Data access)
Backtrace:
0x007C434C 0x007C3D08 0x007B82E0 0x007B81B4 0x007B7ED8 0x007B17EC 0x007B15FC 0x00279110
0x00093D58 0xFF5D78A9
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.apple.driver.Apple02DBDMAAudio(2.0.5b6)@0x7c10 00
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.4.0b9)@0x7a3000
com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.4.0b9)@0x7a3000
Proceeding back via exception chain:
Exception state (sv=0x1A76EA00)
previously dumped as "Latest" state. skipping...
Exception state (sv=0x1A682C80)
PC=0x9057D318; MSR=0x0200F030; DAR=0x16D5A004; DSISR=0x40000000; LR=0x90724ED8; R1=0xF0407A60; XCP=0x00000030 (0xC00 - System call)
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

ast3r3x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2003, 08:28 PM

Sorry to bring back a dead thread.

Does anyone know, or is there anyway to assign a key command to change the iSub volume level? It would be nice not to have to adjust in system preferences before a game, and in general changing it on the fly for different songs would be nice.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by ast3r3x:
Sorry to bring back a dead thread.

Does anyone know, or is there anyway to assign a key command to change the iSub volume level? It would be nice not to have to adjust in system preferences before a game, and in general changing it on the fly for different songs would be nice.
There doesn't seem to be a direct way to control iSub volume that I can see. But I DID find out a couple of interesting things while tinkering around just now:

Holding down the option key while hitting any of the volume control keys (increase, decrease, or mute) will cause system preferences to launch and place you immediately in sound preferences. NEAT !!!

Holding down the shift key while hitting a volume control key will cause the the sound to rise or fall w/o the sound effect normally associated with it.

Hopefully, option + volume key will be quick enough for you
( Last edited by Krusty; Dec 31, 2003 at 11:28 PM. )

ast3r3x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2004, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
There doesn't seem to be a direct way to control iSub volume that I can see. But I DID find out a couple of interesting things while tinkering around just now:

Holding down the option key while hitting any of the volume control keys (increase, decrease, or mute) will cause system preferences to launch and place you immediately in sound preferences. NEAT !!!

Holding down the shift key while hitting a volume control key will cause the the sound to rise or fall w/o the sound effect normally associated with it.

Hopefully, option + volume key will be quick enough for you
Yeah I was trying crazy combinations haha. I was wondering if anyone knew where the menu bar extensions are stored, or if anyone knows how to create them. Because I would think since apple integrated it into their preferences that there should be a simple way to control it by making a system call or something.

AlexisG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by mchladek:
Yeah that sucks.

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 03:19 PM

Almost every other time I wake my iMac from sleep, I have to unplug and plug in my iSub from the computer before any sound will come out of it. This is ridiculous. Anyone else have to do this?
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]

christor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 07:44 PM

Almost every other time I wake my iMac from sleep, I have to unplug and plug in my iSub from the computer before any sound will come out of it. This is ridiculous. Anyone else have to do this?
Same problem here; same as it has been for me with every version of os x thus far.

DynastyMac
Jan 21, 2004, 06:37 PM

I just got a new imac with included isub, where is the control panal for raising/lowering the volume for the isub? sorry if this is a newbie question but its my first isub, thanks. The reason i ask is because the isub stops working after the imac goes to sleep, i try replugging but it never works, do i need any special isub drivers/software? Thanks!

-Eric
Powerbook Al 12"/1 Ghz/40 GB/768 MB/Airport Ex./SuperDrive/10.3.2
Imac Flatpanal 17"/800 Mhz/80 GB/768 MB/SuperDrive/10.3.2
iPod mini (silver) *order placed*

FTrain
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2004, 05:43 PM

Just wanted to revive this dormant thread in honor of the 5 millionth time I've had to unplug and replug in my iSub to get it to work after waking my iMac up.

I love Apple, I love my computer, I love Steve Jobs. But this bug between OSX and the iSub is @%&$&@#%^*@&$%!$%&#%^*&^*#% RIDICULOUS! How diffficult can it be to fix it? Can they even possibly not know about it? Do they just not care?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by FTrain:
Just wanted to revive this dormant thread in honor of the 5 millionth time I've had to unplug and replug in my iSub to get it to work after waking my iMac up.

Originally posted by DynastyMac:
I just got a new imac with included isub, where is the control panal for raising/lowering the volume for the isub? sorry if this is a newbie question but its my first isub, thanks. The reason i ask is because the isub stops working after the imac goes to sleep, i try replugging but it never works, do i need any special isub drivers/software? Thanks!

-Eric
Just in case you hadn't found it yet, its on the output pane of your sound preferences and should automatically appear when your iSub is connected.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by russkle:
In Panther, if I mute the iSub via the control panel, the speaker sound "tinny" like they should.
-Russell
If only it would turn off the frequency split when you muted the isub >_> I hate having the isub on when I'm playing wolfenstein because it tends to irritate everyone in the house.. especially because I like playing late at night..

And the only way to get normal sound output is by unplugging it :| oh well it's a step

It's true though, you can use the isub with just about any pair of speakers (including headphones) -- probably one of the funnier things about it
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules