Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Olympic marathon runner attacked by nutball

Olympic marathon runner attacked by nutball
Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 02:42 AM

Italy's Stefano Baldini took gold in the men's marathon, but his victory was overshadowed after one of the runners was attacked by a protester.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olym...cs/3610598.stm

Thanks for the tip buddy.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 02:52 AM

Dang! If i were Stefano, I would show that guy his Armageddon (its a strectch, i know). That really sucks. For him.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 02:56 AM

I believe he was actually leading the marathon at the time too, but of course when something like this occurs to a marathon runner and he loses his rhythm i'd imagine it's tough to recover. The Brazilian did manage to hold on to third though, and he showed great sportsmanship. He was the true champ imo.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 02:59 AM

yea, Stefano had a 40 second lead but the protester had a hold on him for a good 10 seconds and he had to get started again and find his rhythm.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2004, 03:39 AM

I felt so incredibly sorry for that guy, his 40 second lead was reduced to 20 by the time he was up and running again, and he was looking strong up to that point. Worst part was, he'd had a police cyclist a couple of metres behind him the whole way, but the guy just looked nonchalant and bored. Some spectators had dragged him off by the time the rentacop had woken up.

You never know what's going to happen during the last five miles of a marathon but he was looking good for gold up until he was attacked. At least he came away with the bronze, and a huge cheer when he entered the stadium.

Don't post pics of the "protesters" sign. Let's not give that sad little man the publicity he craves.
( Last edited by OB1; Aug 31, 2004 at 03:45 AM. )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 03:45 AM

The runner showed great restraint in not kicking that "protester's" ass. Either that or he didn't have the energy. It was a shame to see the guy's hard work and dream busted up by something so senseless.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2004, 04:05 AM

I thought *my* legs were pale.

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 07:36 AM

..Police later revealed it was Cornelius "Neil" Horan, a former priest who disrupted last year's British Grand Prix. He was previously jailed for two months following his race track protest at Silverstone....

Shouldn't this nutball be locked away in some institution?

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 08:02 AM

^I think all he was given was a suspended sentence.

Nacente
Aug 31, 2004, 08:03 AM

Yes. I remember the F1 British Grand Prix...he went onto the track, with the cars running at 300+ Km/h!!!
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 08:09 AM

At least he made it a good race with the order getting all shuffled up

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 09:11 AM

This guy is "Clinically Insane"...

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
^I think all he was given was a suspended sentence.
Yeah, I just read in the paper this morning he was fined US$3,600 and given a one year suspended sentence.

That is abosultely 100% bullsh!t. The guy should be locked away for a year at minimum, it's obvious he's a repeat offender and will most likely interrupt more sporting events in the future. I'm honestly surprised no one in the crowd didn't pummel him before the cops arrived, I would have at least given a good kick or two.

The crazy thing is De Lima says he harbours no resentment towards this idiot. That's sportmanship!

brapper
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 10:41 AM

oh man, i'd beat the hell out of that guy given the opportunity.
That's perhaps the most upsetting thing I've ever seen in my days as a sport watcher. Couldn't feel worse for the runner. BUt he showed an incredible amount of class finishing the race as he did.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 11:42 AM

That is just completely a sign of unprofessional sportsmanship. Where were the police?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules