Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Get an iMac now, or are there better things on the horizon?

Get an iMac now, or are there better things on the horizon?
amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2002, 02:38 PM

I'm going to be getting a new iMac this summer, and I'd like to have it before summer classes start. But I'd definately be willing to wait if I think that there are going to be changes made to the iMac line within the next few months.

When does Apple have it's next expo or whatever, and would it be who of me to wait until August (or even September) to see what comes out? If anything?

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2002, 02:47 PM

MWNY will be before school.

And although I don't usually nitpick spelling/grammar, it isn't "be who of me", it would be "behove me"!

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2002, 03:00 PM

There is always something better on the horizon....Get what you want and enjoy it. Don't worry about what's coming...that's what upgrading is all about.

MS
Forum Regular
May 16, 2002, 05:34 PM

I agree with iKevin, but it is always fun to speculate. I am in the same boat. I want a new imac, but think maybe I could wait until they upgrade it.

At the least, by end of summer I would imagine there would be a faster processor and bigger HD for the same money.

I just want a Superdrive!! Love burning DVD's here at work for free, but it is such a pain transferring the footage over.

MS

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2002, 05:39 PM

<STRONG>And although I don't usually nitpick spelling/grammar, it isn't "be who of me", it would be "behove me"! </STRONG>
Technically, it's "behoove."

jedi
Forum Regular
May 16, 2002, 11:26 PM

Hi amo,
IMHO- I would at least wait until after "MacWorld" although it`s unlikely that they`ll come out with a new iMac , they may offer the new "jaguar" OS-X as a ship-with or they may offer more memory maybe a different configuation. Another thing to think about will the eMac go "public"?
In any event there will always be somthing better but if you can wait, you might come out ahead , at least for a little while If nothing in the iMac or eMac line then buy and enjoy BIG TIME , cause they all go out of date and get old soooo fast
jedi

Kitschy
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 12:33 AM

I'll bet you that the iMac gets a speed bump at MWNY. But I don't know if I could wait that long if I was in your shoes.

: )

gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 17, 2002, 01:07 AM

iMac G4: late summer/early fall

800Mhz and 1Ghz G4
256k L2 ( @1Ghz)
133Mhz System Bus
Possibly 4X AGP (don't hold your breath though)

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 17, 2002, 09:30 AM

Remember too that Apple is deliberately revising their product lines when they feel it's necessary and not waiting for expos (witness the PowerBook revision, which is a pretty serious upgrade). I agree that the iMac will probably get a refresh in late summer or early fall, not at MWNY. The advantage of waiting until then, however, is it will come with 10.2 preinstalled and you won't have to pay for the upgrade. But if you need it for school, that may be too late.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
<STRONG>The advantage of waiting until then, however, is it will come with 10.2 preinstalled and you won't have to pay for the upgrade. But if you need it for school, that may be too late.</STRONG>
But that's like waiting two months to possibly save fifty bucks, and given that 10.2 may not be out until Sept, probably even longer. There may be a speed boost around September time, but looking at the way things are going (last round of Powerbooks, iPod), the improvements will also push the price up.

if you wait unti MWNY and the iMac isn't updated, you'll be stuck, knowing that an update will be coming, but not knowing exactly when.

molow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2002, 12:04 PM

Does it mean that the iMac 800 FP I just purchased is out-dated?

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by molow:
<STRONG>Does it mean that the iMac 800 FP I just purchased is out-dated? </STRONG>
Why, yes - yes it does.

I think the TiBook 800 in-transit to my doorstep is already out-dated and it hasn't even arrived.

Damn computers.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

amo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2002, 04:04 PM

Sounds good to me. I am not really in need of having the latest and the greatest, I just want to get the most for my money, and waiting a few months isn't that bad. I also don't mind having to pay for 10.2 or whatever, that's not a big deal to me.

Let me go ahead and ask another question: If I purchase say, the 800 MHz model with the SuperDrive, how long do you suppose that would last me? Two years ... three? I'd like to have something that would last me until I'm through with college. At least.

BTW, I kind of thought "be who of me" was wrong, kinda funny though.

jedi
Forum Regular
May 17, 2002, 04:37 PM

Hi amo,
I think you should be able to get about 3 or 4 years out of the "iMac-800" , keep in mind that you might have to replace something, so be sure to get the "Apple Care" warranty. I know , I hate apple care too but at least if you have it you can have piece-of-mind for 3 yr`s anyway BTW--I (again) looked at the iMac 800 at "Compusa" and the screen is "tilted and loose" If there was a choice, I might even try to get my hands on an "eMac" --one solid piece-- no movable "arms" no matter how well something is made if it moves it will wear-out And I don`t know how hard they are to work on, with my iMac --I can change drives and batteries, but on a G4 iMac -- ???
Best of luck to you
jedi

"Are windows realy made of glass" if so, then they are breakable

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: jedi ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules