Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Is it worth upgrading to os 9.1

Is it worth upgrading to os 9.1
Metal
Apr 4, 2001, 01:48 AM

I have 9.04 right now, I wanted to know if its worth upgrading to 9.1
Whats new with it anyway?
Thanx 4 reading this.

Cipher13
Apr 4, 2001, 03:05 AM

No.
It does very little... supposed "performance enhancements".
Yeah, right.
Adds instability.

If you have the 9.1 CD, do a clean install. If you were planning on using the updater... then don't do it.

------------------

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2001, 04:21 AM

I downloaded the updater when it came out,and didn't have any problems,but I don't notice any significant changes also,only a few little things,and maybe??a little more stable???
9.1 works for me as good as 9.0.4(but I'm one of that types that likes to have the latest update,just in case )
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

suprz
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2001, 07:45 AM

there are alot of threads about this same subject when os9.1 came out and there were alot of problems with 3rd party software not working etc....so as i always say "if it aint broke dont fix it"

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2001, 09:33 AM

The 9.1 troubles make me wonder if Apple will ever release an update for the 9.x platform. Micromat did that for TechTool Pro, releasing 2.5.5 after 3.0 was already on the market. With Apple, that's probably a pipe dream.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2001, 10:09 AM

I saw something about a 9.2 updater going to be released later this year?Don't know of it was on this forum??

[This message has been edited by pete.z (edited 04-04-2001).]
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Unclej78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2001, 06:32 PM

NO, NO, NO

Don't do it if you use applications like: Typestyler, Faxstf and a couple of others. I used the update and my apps don't work like they used to or the just crash for using simple key commands.

As far as I can tell not much has changed except: 1) It creates a new folder for all of your applications and utilities, 2) It now has a neat window header (like the one in most apps) for viewing and bring a particular window to the front. 3) and MAKING SOME APPLICATIONS NOT WORK.

Read this very helpful, (wish I had read this before installing)
http://macfixit.com/reports/macos9.1.shtml
-------
AIM: UNCLEJ78
12" Powerbook 1ghz, 768mb, B&W 400 w/Panther, Grape iMac G3 400, Beige MT, Couple of 8500's & Lower

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2001, 01:13 AM

The finder is much faster, and 9.1 is more stable. I noticed these improvements right off. Many parts of the OS were re-written in native PPC code. I don't understand why everyone dislikes this update so much, I find it to be great.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

iBall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2001, 10:07 AM

I have a 233 bondi iMac and I didn't notice a speed difference from 9.0.4 to 9.1. The only application that has given me problems is Powerpoint from Office 98, it randomly quits when I print. Also, Sherlock 2 is A LOT slower when searching the web. So far so stable, I haven't had a system crash since the install. I used the full 72mb install file from Apple.com and chose not to get the 500 pieces. It took around 3 to 4 hours to d/l on a 56k. Is it worth it? I'd say yes if you have the time, otherwise get OSX.

caifara
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2001, 02:00 PM

I like the window menu, it's really helpfull !
On the other hand I had some trouble with the installation and lost a lot of time because of that.
for the rest, everything's almost the same
-c
-c

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2001, 05:27 PM

I personally like 9.1 just fine. Both machines that I updated via the downloadable version seem more stable to me. The startup manager is probably the biggest improvement-- you can have multiple versions of the OS on the same partition now.

I would suggest a thorough work-over with TechTool Pro on your 9.0.4 prior to upgrading, but heck, I'd suggest that, anyway, upgrade or no.

Typestyler has a free upgrade on their website that seems to be working fine over here. I had to reload my Epson 777 drivers after the upgrade but that was the only problem I encountered.

Then again, the only Microsoft product I use is Word 5. It seems like the majority of the problems with the upgrade were Office-related.

One of the lucky few?
CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2001, 07:09 PM

running 9.1, installed first-thing on a new pb (G3/400)
only thing i needed to do was install ATM Deluxe, otherwise, runs beautifully, stable, fast, wakes fast, works with everything (although i seem to need to plug in the usb cable for my palm to hotsync...)
still, back up everything & then go for it!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2001, 07:44 PM

Since I have stable, smooth, trouble free ops with 9.0.4 on two iMacs,
why should I go to 9.1.

What can I gain over what I have.

No thanks - I'll stay in this trouble-free mode, some would call boring - but
trouble shooting for hours of my leisure time has lost its appeal.

WDL

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2001, 08:00 PM

just a thought...
i certainly agree, it's tiresome to update, then deal w/ endless troubleshooting (& for some, like me, redoing resEdit hacks, etc)...

but how'd you get to 9.0.4? i started at 7.5. for me, 8.6 was nearly the best,; 9.1 wins that now, fast, stable... good qualities that made the update worthwhile...

still, it never ends. waiting for 10.2...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2001, 10:11 PM

FK:

I got to 9.0 by default since the iMac I bought came with 9.0 - then because of its
instability I quickly upgraded to 9.0.4. I really wanted 8.6, but by the time I bought
I just missed it. However, I did get AppleWorks 5.4 which I wanted. A month later and it
would have been AW 6 which I did not want.

Well, as things progressed, my wife decided to get an iMac to get online, but she didn't
like the colour available in the model she wanted - so she took my bondi-blue 350 and
I got the blue 400 DV with 9.0.4 and AW 6.

My two older Macs are running 8.1 and doing everything I ask of them - one of them
is used for my business - the other is semi-retired and used by the grandchildren when
they visit.

OS X? - maybe sometime in the future, but there's no pressing need to get there.

WDL

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2001, 10:18 PM

in the end, whatever works.
but 8.6 is awesome, faster, more stable, more...precise than 8.1.
sometimes, these updates are really worth it.

again, if it ain't broke..........?

Allah
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2001, 09:49 PM

I have 9.1 and I find it more stable and a tad quicker.

------------------
Carp� Bandwidth
Carp� Bandwidth

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2001, 10:56 PM

If you have a beige G3 tower, DON'T upgrade to 9.1

iBall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 10:04 AM

Since this is still open I'll add more feedback. Since my earlier post I haven't had Powerpoint quit on me after printing. I just get 'Rescued Items' in my trash after I restart now. I've had 9.1 for over a week now and I haven't crashed or frozen up. It seems as though after time the OS just breaks itself in and gets comfy in your computer. Give it some time before you make a final judgement.

petek
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2001, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
If you have a beige G3 tower, DON'T upgrade to 9.1
Why do you say that? I've got it on my rev A G3 MT (Formac G3/466 ZIF) and like it. I haven't had any problems with 9.1 per se, other than a little Extension Manager memory allocation weirdness. I had to download the latest ATM to get some of my fonts, but everything else I use has worked. Most of the problems I've seen reported were eventually tracked down to conflicts with older programs or extensions, or to updating directly from 9.0.4, rather than doing a clean install. Even a my favorite, but ancient, Hellcats Over the Pacific still works!

Still, if someone has 8.6 or 9.0.4 and is happy with it, there probably isn't any big reason to go to 9.1, since it does take time to do a clean install, and you may find some incompatibilities. I'm posting this from my work Mac which still has 8.6 on it. I don't have the time to move it up to 9.1 right now.

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2001, 09:18 PM

I got to 9.0 by default since the iMac I bought came with 9.0 - then because of its
instability I quickly upgraded to 9.0.4.
Well using that reasoning you might consider upgrading to 9.1 because of 9.0.4's instability. I swear on my mother's grave that 9.1 is considerably more stable on my G4 powermac than 9.0.4 ever was.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by pete.z:
I saw something about a 9.2 updater going to be released later this year? Don't know of it was on this forum??
pete, I saw something about that after posting my question. I wonder if 9.2 will get as good of a review as 8.6 has.

Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2001, 03:03 PM

also for me, 9.1 the most stable, fastest mac os to date (previous fave: 8.6)

as always, apps, custom exts, everything affects performance.
my os is pretty hacked, plus a half-dozen custom exts (amico, look mom, snap-to, etc etc)

update! (but backup everything first!!)

iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 05:27 PM

I use it now and it is as stable as any version of the OS in the last ten years. I would recommend a clean install though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules