Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Next Best Thing Coming after Merom

Next Best Thing Coming after Merom
HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 11, 2006, 06:27 PM

Saw this article:

Intel to follow 'Santa Rosa' Centrino with 'Montevina'

By Tony Smith

11th October 2006 09:16 GMT

Intel has yet to ship 'Santa Rosa', the next major update to its Centrino laptop and small form-factor PC platform, but already it's working on the follow-up, codenamed 'Montevina', due to ship in 2008, it has been claimed.
Montevina will support 'Penryn', Intel's 45nm die-shrink of its current generation of 65nm Core 2 processors. The chip giant has said Penryn will debut in late 2007 and mark the company's shift to 45nm. A year later, Intel will introduce 'Nehalem', its 45nm-specific next major architecture revision.
Just as Santa Rosa hasn't followed hot on the heels of 'Merom', the Core 2 Duo mobile processor, so it seems likely Montevina will debut some months after Penryn. The 45nm chip is said to consume no more than 29W, compared to Merom's 35W TDP.
Penryn will also see the debut of SSE 4, 50 new instructions that will sit alongside the x86 ISA.
Montevina comprises the 'Cantiga' chipset, Japanese-language website PCWatch claims, along with a new wireless module, 'Shiloh'. The LAN controller's codenamed 'Boaz'.
Cantiga ups the frontside bus speed to 1,067MHz and looks set to support 800MHz DDR 3 in preference to the less power-efficient 800MHz DDR 2, the report suggests. The chipset family will include an integrated part containing ten pixel shaders, up from the GMA 3000's eight. Expect the graphics core to be clocked to 475MHz, we're told.
There are no details yet on Shiloh, but it's a good bet the part will bring WiMAX support on board, a feature Intel has already said it's working on incorporating into a future incarnation of Centrino. Santa Rosa will support a pre-802.11n specification, but Intel will offer a 3G cellular radio, co-developed with Nokia, as an optional extra. It's possible, therefore, that could be part of Shiloh too, but the smart money has to be on WiMAX. ®

Source

Intel to follow 'Santa Rosa' Centrino with 'Montevina' | Reg Hardware

scattered
Oct 11, 2006, 07:17 PM

Enough with the names already. Cheee-rist.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 11, 2006, 08:24 PM

Some people look so far ahead down the road that they don't see where they are walking and will trip on a stone that's right in front of them....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2006, 09:53 PM

I've heard that IBM is coming out with the "Power6" (I assume that means G6) processor.

EDIT: Link
Signature depreciated.

clockworkwar
Oct 14, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
I've heard that IBM is coming out with the "Power6" (I assume that means G6) processor.

EDIT: Link
cool! we could yet see another power mac alive again!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by clockworkwar
cool! we could yet see another power mac alive again!
Apple should offer a choice between PowerPC and Intel, that would drive processor costs down and make Macs slightly cheaper. Core 2 Duo or G6 would be cool (or Xeon or G6). If you want windows go Intel, if you are one of the PPC nuts get a G6.
Signature depreciated.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 10:54 AM

This is stupid. I stopped reading after the first two sentences.

This'll bprobably be out in what, a year? Why so much hype now?
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

clockworkwar
Oct 14, 2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
Apple should offer a choice between PowerPC and Intel, that would drive processor costs down and make Macs slightly cheaper. Core 2 Duo or G6 would be cool (or Xeon or G6). If you want windows go Intel, if you are one of the PPC nuts get a G6.
Yep, i could imagine the keynote with steve jobs saying "and there one more thing, you know we said PowerPC had dissapeared from mac, well there back" you know it will happen lol. And everyone will shout and jump for joy for no reason lol.

thebiscuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2006, 03:27 PM

Yeah problem with that g6 chip...like the G5 but worse-it uses many many watts of power and theres NO WAY it'll get into a laptop. Probably just about fit into a MacPro style enclosure.
iBook G4 12.1" 1280MB 30GB(soon to be 100) 1.2Ghz. First Mac, had for 1.5 years, loving it.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2006, 03:41 PM

When will Intel go back to using numbers?!?!?!
Am I the only one who remembers when 386 followed 286 and came before 486?
WHAT WAS THE MATTER WITH THAT?!?!?!

HouseSold  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
G6 = Too little, too late, maybe.

Intel discovered the numbers were too easy, less confusing.

Customers associated higher number=better computer; Intel had too many market niches to fill and ended up confusing everyone with names before release and after release.

You're probably right and it hurt them with consumers but helped them only with manufacturers.

They better see where the Ultimate $$$ comes from.........

Bring back the numbers.....Yes.

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 03:52 PM

numbers can't be copyrighted.

everyone (intel, amd, cyrix) was using 386, 486SX. 486DX 486DX2.

then intel came up with pentium, amd had K5, and cyrix went bankrupt. this occured in the mid-late 90's in the US

they are not going back to numbers

Addendum: when Intel went from Pentium to Pentium MMX, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium 4, AMD went from K5 (like 586), K6 (686), then they went to the Athlon names.
( Last edited by uicandrew; Oct 14, 2006 at 04:06 PM. Reason: clarification)
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

HouseSold  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 03:52 PM

AMD uses both numbers and names and still confuses all but the engineers.

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 14, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
G6 = Too little, too late, maybe.

Intel discovered the numbers were too easy, less confusing.

Customers associated higher number=better computer; Intel had too many market niches to fill and ended up confusing everyone with names before release and after release.

Bring back the numbers.....Yes.
actually, amd is the one who had trouble with the numbers game. Intel went ahead and named their chips and gave them mhz designation (ie - Intel Pentium II 300mhz)

AMD had a problem. Their chips were similar in performance, but due to the difference in architecture, their actual mhz was LOWER than intel's. so they didn't want to be compared to intel using the mhz in their product name.

instead they used something they called "Performance Rating" or "PR." they called their product AMD Athlon 300+. which was to mean that their processor ran equivalent to 300mhz intel processor, despite the lower clock speed.

i was a pc user until a year ago, so that's how i know all this.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

rhashem
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by thebiscuit
Yeah problem with that g6 chip...like the G5 but worse-it uses many many watts of power and theres NO WAY it'll get into a laptop. Probably just about fit into a MacPro style enclosure.
There will be no G6. "G6" is Apple's marketing name for workstation PowerPC processors. There is unlikely to be a workstation Power6 derivative, and even if there was, it'd be "PowerPC 980" or something. As it is, Power6 not only won't fit in a laptop, it's not even suitable for a desktop. The thing will dissipate more power than a Pentium 4, and be packaged in MCMs with thousands of pins. It's got 75GB/sec of memory bandwidth, meaning it'll take 14 DDR2-667 DIMMs just to max out its memory bus. We're talking about a chip which, if IBM sold it seperately, would cost more than a Mac Pro.

rhashem
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2006, 07:12 PM

Penryn, etc, are not marketing names. They're design code names. For example, Conroe was the code name for Core 2, and Penryn is the codename for what will probably be Core 3.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2006, 07:37 PM

skip G6 and head right on up to G7 and make it fit into a macbook

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
This is stupid. I stopped reading after the first two sentences.

This'll bprobably be out in what, a year? Why so much hype now?
I understand you're used to the AIM world, where every weeks release is a new surprise, so welcome to the Intel world, where roadmaps are created and released years in advance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules